Not a P-51

Started by Caveman, November 12, 2021, 01:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caveman

Not sure that this necessarily counts as whif, but some paint jobs would suffice. I'm pondering a little sub collection of models that are not a P-51 - but might fool someone into thinking that they are.

So far I've got:
A-36, PA-48, P-82, CAC CA-15, MB5 & RR FTB (might ditch the last one)

Can anyone suggest some alternatives that might pass themselves off/be mistaken for a P-51?
secretprojects forum migrant

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Anything with a radiator below the fuselage. That is how people tend to determine that something looks like a P-51. Yak-3, MiG-3.

I believe at least Finnish fighter pilots thought that they encountered and shot down Mustangs, while there is no evidence that any were present in the area. Yaks and MiGs more likely.

sandiego89

Quote from: TomZ on November 13, 2021, 04:32:08 AM
The Messerstang might qualify:

TomZ

Wow, those are new to me, had to look them up.  Did they make it into the Patton movie? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Caveman

Some neat ideas here. Thanks all

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 13, 2021, 08:32:24 AM

Wow, those are new to me, had to look them up.  Did they make it into the Patton movie?

IIRC that's exactly why they were built, yes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Technically the A-36 (NA-97) is a P-51 being a straightforward development of the P-51/Mustang 1a (NA-91).
It was a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the P-51 into USAAF service, the pursuit budget had been exhausted but
there was money available to purchase attack aircraft.
;D
The A-36 was originally assigned the name Invader but this was soon dropped as also happened with the
Apache moniker, in service they were just called Mustang, despite what decades of modelling magazines
would have you believe.

The P-51As (NA-99) were originally ordered as A-36 but produced as P-51A with the dive-brakes and under
engine .50 MGs deleted, the bomb-racks were retained.

Caveman

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 13, 2021, 12:38:29 PM
Technically the A-36 (NA-97) is a P-51 being a straightforward development of the P-51/Mustang 1a (NA-91).
It was a bit of jiggery-pokery to get the P-51 into USAAF service, the pursuit budget had been exhausted but
there was money available to purchase attack aircraft.
;D
The A-36 was originally assigned the name Invader but this was soon dropped as also happened with the
Apache moniker, in service they were just called Mustang, despite what decades of modelling magazines
would have you believe.

The P-51As (NA-99) were originally ordered as A-36 but produced as P-51A with the dive-brakes and under
engine .50 MGs deleted, the bomb-racks were retained.

Ah, well the modelling magazines had me hook, line and sinker then.