République bretonne - Hunter FGA.9

Started by Sepp, November 24, 2021, 04:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sepp

Hi all,

Another delve into my private world.  This time an A17-D (breton name for their licence-built Hunter FGA.9/Type 61A) of 7e Escadron, Forces Armées Bretonnes, 1962-83.

Where I started ...

... and where I wound up:

Model is the old Revell 1/32 kit painted with Vallejo acrylics, shot through a Paasche Talon.  Roundels, serial and a/c ID number are masked and sprayed. Teeth, eyes, letter Z and squadron badge are home-spun decals.  SNEB pods received resin rear ends because the kit's are... just - no.  Cockpit is the rare-as-hen's-teeth and excellent True Details resin offering. Oerkikon rockets are by Buchon, and are also beautifully crafted.

You can find the original build on LSP here .

Hope you like it!

Sepp

Old Wombat

Ooh! BIG kit! :o

Very nice job putting her all together, too! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Efficient cooperation between Great Britain and Little Britain/Bretagne ? Funny to imagine, thanks! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

That's one SUPER looking model, even more so as it's so big!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

In the title of the topic, "Republique bretonne" seems surprising, as speaking French and not Britton ("brezhoneg" says https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton ), but in a what-if universe for sure there is an explanation! ;D

AndrewF

Magnifique ! But I agree with Tophe about the Breton Republic using French. "Republik Breizh" would be more like it... Both the model and the profile are great.

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Sepp

Quote from: Tophe on November 24, 2021, 08:48:09 AM
In the title of the topic, "Republique bretonne" seems surprising, as speaking French and not Britton ("brezhoneg" says https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breton ), but in a what-if universe for sure there is an explanation! ;D

The in-world explanation is, well, one of pragmatism. Although the flamboyant leader of the far-right 'Breiz Atao' movement would agree that Breton should be the major language (even though it's mainly spoken in the West, with Gallo being spoken more widely in the East), little sister has to live next to and under the skirts of big sister, and so French is the official languiage with Breton and Gallo being protected cultural languages - and while the centrist 'Une Voix' party runs the show, little is likely to change...

Real world explanation? I speak French, but not Breton  ;D  and if I start using simple Breton phrases, everything else in the world has to be in Breton too... and then there's the whole Breiz/Breih/Breizh thing.  And the Gallo speakers would riot. So, French it is.

Blame the First Treaty of Angers, 1946. It's all in there :)

comrade harps

Whatever.

Tophe

Thanks Sepp for the complete explanation, convincing! :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

AndrewF

Quote from: Sepp on November 24, 2021, 02:17:43 PM
Quote from: Tophe on November 24, 2021, 08:48:09 AM

The in-world explanation is, well, one of pragmatism. Although the flamboyant leader of the far-right 'Breiz Atao' movement would agree that Breton should be the major language (even though it's mainly spoken in the West, with Gallo being spoken more widely in the East), little sister has to live next to and under the skirts of big sister, and so French is the official languiage with Breton and Gallo being protected cultural languages - and while the centrist 'Une Voix' party runs the show, little is likely to change...

Real world explanation? I speak French, but not Breton  ;D  and if I start using simple Breton phrases, everything else in the world has to be in Breton too... and then there's the whole Breiz/Breih/Breizh thing.  And the Gallo speakers would riot. So, French it is.

Blame the First Treaty of Angers, 1946. It's all in there :)

Yeah, that makes sense  ;D A bit like in Scotland (at least in the north & the Western Isles etc.) and Wales, where the roadsigns are in Gaelic & English/Welsh & English, but English is actually the main language for the majority of people. Pragmatic.

Scotaidh

I really like the idea of using heraldic "fur" for the roundels.  :)  Who'd a thunk I'd ever see "ermine" on a jet!  :D :D :D :D

(When I was in the Society for Creative Anachronism [a medieval recreational society] I was a herald, and my joy was to aid new members in deciding their arms.)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.