Real World Whiff countries

Started by The Rat, November 25, 2021, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Yes, that's what it says, Real World Whiff countries. Not a contradiction in terms really. You see, Sepp's gorgeous Breton Hunter https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49966.0 got me thinking about other countries that could have formed in the real world through separation. Not a new concept by any means, but maybe we need a list.

Basque?

Corsica?

Sardinia?

Obviously, Scotland and Wales

Tasmania?

Punjab?

Quebec?

Hawaii?

Alaska?

California?

Texas?

Newfoundland and Labrador?

Palestine? (touchy but possible)

North and South New Zealand?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on November 25, 2021, 08:13:42 AM
Hawaii?

Alaska?

California?

Texas?

Hawaii was already a functioning kingdom, until a bunch of Manifest Destiny Yankees decided to stage a coup, overthrow the monarchy, and petition to join the US as a territory.  If they left?  Ecotourism and fishing would probably help offset

Alaska was a part of Imperial Russia, but in the aftermath of the Crimean War, the Tsar felt it'd be better to get rid of such a vulnerable piece of Russia, and the 7 million dollars in gold didn't hurt much either.  Today?  Still highly unlikely to be a separate nation - low population density, a significant lack of interior infrastructure due to the rugged terrain, and all the usual environmental issues with nations that close to the Arctic Circle.

Texas...is special.  They were, and still think of themselves as, a wholly separate nation, who couldn't afford to *be* a separate nation, and petitioned Washington for entry.  If they seceded today, once all the Federal infrastructure left the state (DoD, NASA, DHS, etc.), they'd still have issues, despite having petrobucks, and a fairly decent coastal infrastructure.  Texas is rated has having the 10th largest GDP if a sovereign state, but they also don't have the tax base that California has.

California is touted as having the 5th largest GDP (as of 2020) if it were a sovereign state, and would probably weather secession better than Texas.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

frank2056

TomZ

Some of these are really sensitive.
I once made model of a fighter of a free Catalan air force. The protests were quite intense. So intense that the model needed to be removed from this forum  :rolleyes:

It seems that independence can be quite offensive to some and quite to be desired to others leading to rather heated arguments.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

JayBee

Now here is a thought for you all as 30th November approaches.

What if England wanted Home Rule.  :rolleyes:

Could they survive as an independant nation in the world, especially if all the Commonwealth Countries Etc. abandonned them.  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

AndrewF

Transnistria
Abkhazia
South Ossetia
Republic of Somaliland

AndrewF

Quote from: TomZ on November 25, 2021, 09:08:08 AM
Some of these are really sensitive.
I once made model of a fighter of a free Catalan air force. The protests were quite intense. So intense that the model needed to be removed from this forum  :rolleyes:

It seems that independence can be quite offensive to some and quite to be desired to others leading to rather heated arguments.

TomZ

Really? Quite incredible given that there isn't any protest about Nazi-era Luftwaffe subjects... and that the majority of the subjects are war-themed and could offend many sensibilities for one reason or another.

Spey_Phantom

Catalonia is a recent example of what could have been.
Flanders & Wallonia, there was a political turmoil in Belgium about 8 years ago that almost torn the country in half.
then there's also Kurdistan, that almost happened too.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

There's been a Home Rule for Cornwall movement apparent for some time now.

And if that's OK, I'd go for an independent Forest of Dean.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AndrewF

There are loads of historic possibilities - Germany before unification (Prussia, Bavaria etc.), and likewise Italy pre-unification.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2021, 10:28:57 AM

Another one I had my mind on.

Could a Sunderland operate out of Cannop Brook?  ;D ;D ;D

jcf

Duchy of Dean?  ;D
The Head of State has to wear a hat.

Rheged

There are the old Kingdoms ..........Berenicia,  Mercia,  Anglia,  Rheged,  Wessex etc  in England;     Provence, Poitou, Lorraine, Gascony in France.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet