Real World Whiff countries

Started by The Rat, November 25, 2021, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on November 25, 2021, 12:13:06 PM

Could a Sunderland operate out of Cannop Brook?  ;D ;D ;D

Maybe not, but one could fly from the Severn, and there's a LOT of that!  ;)

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 25, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2021, 10:28:57 AM
There's been a Home Rule for Cornwall movement apparent for some time now.

And if that's OK, I'd go for an independent Forest of Dean.  ;D

Duchy of Dean?  ;D
The Head of State has to wear a hat.

Absolutely! I may know someone............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2021, 01:50:48 PM
Quote from: The Rat on November 25, 2021, 12:13:06 PM

Could a Sunderland operate out of Cannop Brook?  ;D ;D ;D

Maybe not, but one could fly from the Severn, and there's a LOT of that!  ;)

Well,  there is at high tide...........
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

Quote from: The Rat on November 25, 2021, 08:13:42 AM
Yes, that's what it says, Real World Whiff countries. Not a contradiction in terms really. You see, Sepp's gorgeous Breton Hunter https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=49966.0 got me thinking about other countries that could have formed in the real world through separation. Not a new concept by any means, but maybe we need a list.

Basque?

Corsica?

Sardinia?

Obviously, Scotland and Wales

Tasmania?

Punjab?

Quebec?

Hawaii?

Alaska?

California?

Texas?

Newfoundland and Labrador?

Palestine? (touchy but possible)

North and South New Zealand?

Newfoundland and Labrador has only been part of Canada since 1949.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

Don't forget the Conch Republic, formerly known as Key West, Florida.
They actually put up signs and barricaded the road once.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on November 25, 2021, 06:40:49 PM
Don't forget the Conch Republic, formerly known as Key West, Florida.
They actually put up signs and barricaded the road once.

And printed passports.  All because the then-INS put up a "Welcome to the United States" on the Mainland at Rt 1.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Pellson

Quote from: TomZ on November 25, 2021, 09:08:08 AM
Some of these are really sensitive.
I once made model of a fighter of a free Catalan air force. The protests were quite intense. So intense that the model needed to be removed from this forum  :rolleyes:

It seems that independence can be quite offensive to some and quite to be desired to others leading to rather heated arguments.

TomZ

I find your experience somewhat sad, i have to admit. We're all about parallel universes here, and as even the most evil of modern governments (nazi Germany) is frequently represented, you would think anything would be eligible.

On the matter, I think it's less interesting whether a proposed state would have any realistic chance of economic or ethnic survival in the real world as any backstory writer easily could add a rich unobtanium resource, ready for mining at ridiculous revenue, sorting most of that. So go ahead! Name your province/state/whatever and be happy with it!

In a Scandinavian perspective, all our countries have ancient provinces ("landskap" or "län" in Swedish/Norwegian) that in most cases relatively well matches premedieval kingdoms with separate (if related) laws etc. Then there's regions, each consisting of several landscapes, representing a slightly later period before today's kingdoms were formed.
I believe most of Europe is the same, btw. Germany in particular was very fragmented all the way up to the Bismarck era.

It's just the matter of designing roundels, both in colour and lo-vis..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

rickshaw

Tasmania?  Not likely.  They are too wedded to the benefits they receive from the Federation. They get a cheap ferry from the mainland.  Not to be sneezed at.   The only state to see a population decrease in the last 50 years...   :wacko:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Pellson

Quote from: rickshaw on November 26, 2021, 03:13:49 AM
Tasmania?  Not likely.  They are too wedded to the benefits they receive from the Federation. They get a cheap ferry from the mainland.  Not to be sneezed at.   The only state to see a population decrease in the last 50 years...   :wacko:

But if they find a HUGE unobtanium deposit...  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

In the world of the People's Democratic Republic of Victoria (the real world state of Victoria plus the southern parts of New South Wales) Tasmania has a gambling based economy.
The remainder of NSW and Queensland form Greater Eastern Australia.
British North Australia is what we call the Northern Territory, South Australia is South Australia, and what we call Western Australia was briefly the Aryan Sudreich before being given back to the first nations peoples at the end of WW2.  I haven't worked out what it is called yet.
The Australian Capital Territory was never created and the continent of Australia is a better place for it.
All this came about because the Australian states chose independence over federation at the turn of the 20th Century.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've always found it amusing every time I go to Hawaii to see the Union Jack or Flag if you prefer on the State flag  ;)

Kit's beaten me to Cornwall and Jim has beaten me to an independent England  :thumbsup: so I'll just go with the US West Coast declaring independence and maybe the New England States ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 26, 2021, 06:01:52 AM
so I'll just go with the US West Coast declaring independence

Not quite US West Coast but there is actually a Cascadia independence movement: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(independence_movement).

GB theme energing!!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Doug K

Quote from: Rheged on November 25, 2021, 01:07:48 PM
There are the old Kingdoms ..........Berenicia,  Mercia,  Anglia,  Rheged,  Wessex etc  in England;     Provence, Poitou, Lorraine, Gascony in France.

Yeah, that was a set I was thinking of, perhaps with Burgundy thrown in? A wine glass for a roundel?

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 25, 2021, 10:28:57 AM
There's been a Home Rule for Cornwall movement apparent for some time now.

And if that's OK, I'd go for an independent Forest of Dean.  ;D

Well Cornwall has a bythronic language, like Wales & Brittany.....

What about the Isle of Man, they are more independent that Scotland & Wales anyway? 😉

zenrat

There is the Principality of Hutt River in Western Australia.
The Principality of Hutt River is an Independent Sovereign State having seceded from Australia on the Twenty First Day of April 1970.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

perttime

Quote from: Pellson on November 26, 2021, 12:04:10 AM
In a Scandinavian perspective, all our countries have ancient provinces ("landskap" or "län" in Swedish/Norwegian) that in most cases relatively well matches premedieval kingdoms with separate (if related) laws etc. Then there's regions, each consisting of several landscapes, representing a slightly later period before today's kingdoms were formed.
I believe most of Europe is the same, btw. Germany in particular was very fragmented all the way up to the Bismarck era.

If Sweden didn't lose the area now known as Finland, to the Russian Emperor, where would we be now?