Real World Whiff countries

Started by The Rat, November 25, 2021, 08:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 26, 2021, 06:01:52 AM
I've always found it amusing every time I go to Hawaii to see the Union Jack or Flag if you prefer on the State flag  ;)

It's the only State that includes the Union Jack in it's flag, it's because of Captain Cook's history there.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 27, 2021, 05:37:24 AM
I've always found it amusing every time I go to Hawaii to see the Union Jack or Flag if you prefer on the State flag  ;)

It's the only State that includes the Union Jack in it's flag, it's because of Captain Cook's history there.

I've always been told it's because the then Queen appealed to Queen Victoria when the US was moving in and basically said "if we have to be taken over can it be by you". The Brits had no interest in that part of the world however from a strategic point of view and politically didn't want to upset the US with some possibly unfortunate consequences said "sorry, but no".  When the State flag was designed the Union Flag was put there as a reminder.

This story comes from a Polynesian history phd who at the time was teaching at Hawaii State.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

A couple of possible countries.

The Grand Duchy of Pimlico *. From "Passport to Pimlico" and the Isle of Dogs who pulled the bridge up and declared independence in the 70's ? They were annoyed at the lack of investment in the area. Given what it is now I bet they whish they never drawn attention to it ?  ;)

* Which was part of Burgundy if memory serves  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on November 27, 2021, 06:18:37 AM
People's Republic of Sheppey!

Well it has a port and two steelworks (or at least did have) one of which was one of the larger independent steel producers in the UK, so it has an economy.  ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 27, 2021, 05:51:55 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on November 27, 2021, 05:37:24 AM

I've always been told it's because the then Queen appealed to Queen Victoria when the US was moving in and basically said "if we have to be taken over can it be by you". The Brits had no interest in that part of the world however from a strategic point of view and politically didn't want to upset the US with some possibly unfortunate consequences said "sorry, but no".  When the State flag was designed the Union Flag was put there as a reminder.

This story comes from a Polynesian history phd who at the time was teaching at Hawaii State.

Hmm -- well here's the first lines of the wiki page

The flag of Hawaii (Hawaiian: Ka Hae Hawaiʻi) has previously been used by the kingdom, protectorate, republic, and territory of Hawaii. It is the only US state flag to include a foreign country's national flag. The inclusion of the Union Jack of the United Kingdom is a mark of the Royal Navy's historical relations with the Hawaiian Kingdom, particularly with King Kamehameha I.[1][2] The flag continued to be used after the 1893 overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom.

jcf

The original flag connection is to Vancouver rather than to Cook.

In 1843 George Paulet, captain of HMS Carysfort, forced the King of Hawai'i to cede the
islands to Great Britain, motivated by the British Consul to Hawai'i who was involved in a
dispute over land ownership and as a result made a number of false claims. This lasted
for five months until was resolved through both diplomatic action in London and the
arrival of US Navy warships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulet_affair

kitnut617

Don't know about that Jon, Cook got there about 90 years earlier. The booklets we picked up when we were visiting the islands goes on about Cook more than anything else. Plus his statues are everywhere.

The Rat

Has the only population of scorpions in the British Isles. So there's an idea for a flag.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

zenrat

Hawaii is the only US State with a royal palace.

I used to knock about with the West Chiltington Popular Front.  Some of the members grew enough weed to form the basis of an economy...
:mellow:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Well the 3 versions of the Hawaiian State Flag just goes to show that when it comes to history you should always read as many versions of an event as possible and then form your own opinion based on the evidence available to you at the time. As one of my old history teachers at school used to say "always remember history is written by the winners"  ;)

Quote from: The Rat on November 27, 2021, 05:51:37 PM

Has the only population of scorpions in the British Isles. So there's an idea for a flag.

Has it ? Never knew that. Haven't been there since I retired and if they have them little so and so's I may not be going again  ;)

frank2056

There's always the Pangaea Reunification Front. They have a very long term grievance. With everyone.

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 28, 2021, 05:22:04 AM
Well the 3 versions of the Hawaiian State Flag just goes to show that when it comes to history you should always read as many versions of an event as possible and then form your own opinion based on the evidence available to you at the time. As one of my old history teachers at school used to say "always remember history is written by the winners"  ;)

Quote from: The Rat on November 27, 2021, 05:51:37 PM

Has it ? Never knew that. Haven't been there since I retired and if they have them little so and so's I may not be going again  ;)

https://www.royensoc.co.uk/sites/default/files/Sam%20Finnie%20Antenna%20Essay.pdf
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: frank2056 on November 28, 2021, 09:47:43 AM
There's always the Pangaea Reunification Front. They have a very long term grievance. With everyone.

;D ;D ;D

loupgarou

Easter Island? It used to be an independent kingdom. Would moai sales be enough for a sustainable economy?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.