A Savage pair

Started by TomZ, November 26, 2021, 09:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

A Savage pair

The North American AJ Savage first flew in 1948 and went into service in 1950 as a carrier borne atomic bomber. It was powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-2800s radial engines and one Allison J33 turbojet. A total of 140 were built and it remained in service until 1960.

In the early 1950s a further development of the Savage was made as the A2J Super Savage. This aircraft was powered by two Allison T40 turboprops.  The first A2J flew in 1952 and the aircraft entered service in 1954. The Super Savage competed with the failed Douglas A3D jet and the A2J was selected for production. A total of 180 were built and the Super Savage remained in service until 1971.

Models:
- Mach2 North American AJ Savage 1/72
- Anigrand North American A2J Super Savage 1/72

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

sandiego89

Ohhh, love them!  I have a soft spot for the Savage (and a grudge against the Naval museum in Pensacola that has left the sole survivor of the type to rot on the ramp for decades.  Sole survivors, even obscure types deserve better) rant over.   

Tell me about the Mach2 kit. I know this is a relative question for a Mach2 kit, but it is OK?  Looks good.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Beautiful models! :thumbsup:
Uh, I wondered (knowing not much these aircraft): is it RW or whif? :unsure: I asked Google and the answer seems to be : the Savage part is RW while imagining "in service" the Super Savage prototype is whif. Yes?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

If its got two engines i like em and Tom these are beaut mate  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Quote from: Tophe on November 26, 2021, 09:51:36 PM
Beautiful models! :thumbsup:
Uh, I wondered (knowing not much these aircraft): is it RW or whif? :unsure: I asked Google and the answer seems to be : the Savage part is RW while imagining "in service" the Super Savage prototype is whif. Yes?

You are correct Tophe. In RW only one Super Savage was prodcued.

TomZ

Tophe

Thanks for the confirmation/explanation :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Quote from: sandiego89 on November 26, 2021, 02:50:44 PM
Tell me about the Mach2 kit. I know this is a relative question for a Mach2 kit, but it is OK?  Looks good.   

As Mach2 kits go it's not that bad. One engine cowling was formed incompletely and you had to be careful when taking the parts of the spruces. The attachments were very big and it was easy to damage the parts. And of course the clear parts weren't the best. But luckily the canopy has quite heavy framing so that doesn't show as much.All in all it was a reasonable build.

TomZ

NARSES2

I like both of those, but particularly the Super Savage. Great work Tom  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

:thumbsup:

Those big blade contraprops are awkwardly cool.
Whatever.

zenrat

Super Savage looks good.
Put a couple of 23mm cannon in the tail, glaze the nose, give it tandem seats under a bubble canopy, and it'd be ready for a paintjob with red stars.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu