Sukhoi/BAe Zephyr

Started by Devilfish, November 29, 2021, 01:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

1965:  The government cancel the P.1154 supersonic Harrier and the HS681 V/STOL transport aircraft.  TSR2 is saved by the skin of its teeth and goes on to enter service in 1970.

1969:  The RAF get the Phantom FGR.2 to fill the fighter and ground attack roles.

1980:  Plans to replace both these aircraft by 1990 are scuppered when a multi-national conglomerate to build a "Multi-Role Combat Aircraft" falls apart due to differences in needs by the various nations.

1989: The Berlin wall falls and the Soviet Union collapses.  Russia goes into a deep recession, and looks to the west for investment.
The RAF are offered several ex-Soviet SU-27 aircraft to fill the needs being made by the TSR and Phantom.

1990:  The first aircraft arrive in the UK, and BAe go to work modifying them with English gauges, and UK compatible systems.

The first batch are single seaters and designated F.1.
They are purely air superiority fighters and armed with AIM-7 Sparrow or Skyflash, AIM-9 Sidewinder, and often carried a "Bear-Hunter" missile, a modified Martel.

The second batch are 2 seaters and designated GR.2
These are used in the ground attack role, with new pylons and able to carry iron or smart bombs.

Kits are the 1/48 Zhengdefu SU-27s.   All I'll say is, everything you've heard about this manufacturer, is true, and more....

20211128_125857 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211128_125929 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211128_130047 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211128_130000 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211128_130026 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20211128_130033 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

NARSES2

Very nice  :thumbsup: Particularly like the F.1  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Whatever.

Wardukw

Now thats not easy ..lots of lines and shapes ..wonderful build Paul. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

nighthunter

I love me some Flankers! Beautiful, even if they are in the UNHOLY scale of 1/48, LOL!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Firefox

Cobra

keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:These are Awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsu atural in RAF Livery.

Pellson

That's cool. It does feel a bit strange with the earlier generation weaponry on such contemporary shapes, but that really just makes it cooler, imho. My favourite is the mud mover  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Devilfish

Quote from: Pellson on December 05, 2021, 04:37:43 AM
That's cool. It does feel a bit strange with the earlier generation weaponry on such contemporary shapes, but that really just makes it cooler, imho. My favourite is the mud mover  :thumbsup:

The SU-27 has been around since the 80's, and in service since the late 80s, so not that strange

McColm

Glenn Gilbertson

Those really look the business - well done! :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

drmrhonda580

Hi, love this idea, as i am currently building an raf su-34 fullback. Will be satin ghost grey with low viz markings. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: