1/72 Jacques Six

Started by frank2056, December 07, 2021, 09:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I've had a kit of the Yak-6 made by Alpha rattling around for 20+ years in a container of started kits. It's not a good kit, despite its simplicity. I decided to finish the plane and not put too much effort into it since it's not worth the effort of super detailing... and it would guarantee that I would finish the model before I lost interest.

In the same container,  I found a box with some old 1/72 Airfix Hs-129 parts (not enough for a complete kit) and another box with an ancient but also partial,  Lindberg Hs-129. From the brittleness of the plastic, it has to date from the 1960s.

So I decided to mix and match parts. I started by putting together the Yak-6 fuselage and noticed that it was too narrow for the canopy, so I widened it with styrene strips to improve the fit. I didn't like the radials on the Yak-6, so I replaced them with the Gnome-Rhône radials from the Hs-129. This involved some careful plastic surgery on the brittle Lindberg plastic (the engines were a better fit than the Airfix ones).

The box with the random aircraft bits also had the tail from an Airfix 1/72 Pe-2. The Yak-6 tail didn't spark joy, so after a quick operation the vertical tail was removed and the two vertical stabilizers from the Pe-2 grafted onto the horizontal stabilizers.

The kit's side windows seem to have gone AWOL over the years. They were replaced with thin plastic and masked with Tamiya tape. I also did some minor detailing of the cockpit, with pilot seats from a Matchbox Ju-188, throttle quadrant and instrument panel from an Airfix B-25 and a styrene floor and bulkhead - the kit only comes with two seats and a blank ip slab.

Here's what it looked like after the first layer of primer:

The props are from the Airfix Hs 129:

I'm leaning towards a French aircraft from immediately after the war, hence the "Jacques Six" name. The plane is starting to look like a fixed gear version of the Beechcraft 18, too.

Here's after some paint:

The blobs of putty are there because I pulled off the masks too soon and I need to put on a semi-matte coat after decalling.

The tail wheel is from an anonymous kit. This is starting to look like a Frankenstein build!

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very good and balanced, nice!  :thumbsup:

comrade harps

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 07, 2021, 11:26:18 PM

Agree. Wouldn't pick it as a kit bash.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: comrade harps on December 08, 2021, 12:02:24 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 07, 2021, 11:26:18 PM

Agree. Wouldn't pick it as a kit bash.  :thumbsup:

Nor would I. Starting to look very smart in that livery as well  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

That's a very nice looking light twin!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

That would work well as an Admirals Barge or an early executive aircraft.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kitbasher

Smart  :thumbsup:

And VERY Beech 18 ('Plage 18'?).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

loupgarou

Very pretty, much more than the out of the box version.
You could put it besides a "real" Beech 18 at a show, and see it visitors can spot which is what...
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Wardukw

That looks like thats the way the manufacturer intended it to be ..everything is just right..very nice work Frank  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Thanks guys! I put on the decals, gave it a satin coat, took off the canopy masks... and all the frame paint came off! Something about that particular clear plastic kept the acrylic paint from sticking. I repainted the canopy framing by hand with silver Badger Stynylrez acrylic primer and trimmed the paint that got on the glass with a sharpened styrene stick. I'm waiting for it to fully dry now.

On the bright side, I was able to remove one of the previous versions of the side windows that fell into the fuselage.

A literal translation of the Beech 18 would be "L' Hêtre 18"

frank2056

I thought it was finished, but I just noticed I left off the navigation lights. a quick dab of Tamiya clear and it'll truly be done. Top view, with a figure for scale:

Two side views:

The aircraft registration, "F-TODC" is the year and month I finished the model - Twenty One DEcember. The aircraft code on the tail - 2112 is the same.

The hand painted canopy framing came out OK - the canopy is a lot clearer than I had expected. I added the cowl flaps under the engine to cover the huge gap between the cowling and the original engine mount.

The list of kits/kit parts used:
Yak-6
Lindberg Hs-129
Airfix Hs-129
Matchbox Ju-188
Airfix B-25
tailwheel from a mystery Tamiya kit
styrene bits and clear plastic bits.
black decals by me, French tricolor from a Heller 1/220 Noratlas.

Not a great kit, but it came out OK and I'm pleased that the original kit is barely recognizable. Thanks for following along!

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies