Airfix 1/72 DAP Devastator Mk.Ib

Started by KiwiZac, December 08, 2021, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiZac

Hi all,
This kit was generously sent to me by Old Wombat so it seemed inevitable it would end up with some form of Aussie connection! Although the kit that has received some paint by my hand no cement has touched it and all the parts that were on the sprues when received are still on there, it was allowed to enter a GB at BTS. But I thought folk here might like to see it also!

Thus begins the journey of...

The DAP Devastator Mk.Ib
Airfix 1/72 Douglas TBD Devastator by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Airfix 1/72 DAP Devastator Mk.Ib by Zac Yates, on Flickr

State of play on day two:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

KiwiZac

She's already received two coats of paint so I'm optimistic I'll have her finished this weekend!
Zac in NZ

nighthunter

I've been tempted to build all the Aircraft and Sqn's from the "Big E" at Midway in 1/72 (had to pick 1 US Carrier and why not the Big E) Glad to see that there is a decent and affordable offering of the Devastator out there. Can't wait to see what you do with it, Zac!
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

KiwiZac

Quote from: nighthunter on December 10, 2021, 10:21:33 AM
Glad to see that there is a decent and affordable offering of the Devastator out there.
I can't speak to its accuracy but it is every inch Classic Airfix. I've had no real problems with it.

Yesterday was painting day for the Devastator and I used Tamiya XF-61 as a stand-in for Foliage Green:

It was too windy and rainy for me to have a window open for ventilation this morning so the gloss coat had to wait until 3pm when I was satisfied The Bench wouldn't get drenched!

The kit instructions have been folded over the model as a sort of open-ended hangar to hopefully avoid dust and cat hair, my normal technique if a suitably-sized box isn't available to prop over it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I can do the decals.
Zac in NZ

NARSES2

That's looking really good Zac, especially given its age. Those corrugated wings are going to make getting the transfers on fun  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Mmmmm, look at those lovely rivets...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KiwiZac

No issues with the Humbrol Gloss Cote overnight so I have just put the decals in place.  Thanks for the kind words Chris, it's posed no construction issues. A very well-behaved kit!

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 12, 2021, 01:23:47 AM
Those corrugated wings are going to make getting the transfers on fun  ;)
Quote from: zenrat on December 12, 2021, 03:42:23 AM
Mmmmm, look at those lovely rivets...
Funny you should mention that! The MicroSet is now doing its thing rather well and I may decide to Matt it later today rather than tomorrow...
Zac in NZ

NARSES2

Quote from: KiwiZac on December 12, 2021, 07:56:19 PM
The MicroSet is now doing its thing rather well and I may decide to Matt it later today rather than tomorrow...

Good to read  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Having forgotten to comment here when I commented over on BtS, I shall merely copy & paste;

No white bits! :(

Oh, well, she's looking good, none the less! :mellow:

;)

KiwiZac

You're forgiven, OW!  :thumbsup:

So let's lift the literal lid and see how it went...

Unfortunately the Devastator is now on hold. Not because of an issue with the Matt Cote, nor cat-related misadventure, but because Tamiya XF-61 changes colour when I get below 1/4 of a bottle remaining. In this photo you can see the difference in tone between fuselage, cowling and aerial mast, and canopy frame as the paint undergoes this bizarre metamorphosis:

So she's on hold until I can get some more paint, which may be a while as we're behind on some bills.
Zac in NZ

Wardukw

I've had that same problem..the difference between the airbrush and paint brush is weird and trying to mask such a small canopy would not be fun.
Strange thing to this day i cant figure out...Humbrol donesnt do that but i hate spraying Humbrol..to annoying to thin and i suck with a paint brush .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

You have to really mix Tamiya paints every time you use them, when brush painting, to distribute the pigments evenly or you get this issue.

Not as much of a problem when using an airbrush, as you're thinning the paint anyway.

Actually, even when brush painting with Tamiya paints, it's a good idea to thin them a bit (say about 25-33%).

Scotaidh

But RW paints aren't all the same tine/shade either - especially military ones, where the prettiness of the paint is completely subordinate to 1) Concealment and 2) Preservation.  the military is required to buy from all paint companies that meet their standards (have to share the pork equally, you know!) and they each have their own ideas of what 'standard' colours are. 

By the time the sun and wind-bourne debris and sailor/soldier boots are done with it, it's no longer what it was, when the tin was opened.  I'd leave it - it looks fine and more realistic that way. 

(Well, to my eyes, anyway.  YMMV,O)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."