TP-88 Heavy Fighter .

Started by Wardukw, December 10, 2021, 04:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

As some of you guys might or will remember back in 1941 or 42 some bright sparks decided to mount 2 Allinson V12s on a P-40 ,,only one was built and im not sure but i dont think it ever flew but seeing that pic was all i needed to thinking about building it ...since im a armour guy i was really in no rush to build it ..then that wonderful gent named Guy (Old Wombat) sent me a few kits and in there was a bloody model plane ..a Helldiver ...well the bug bit and i turned that into the amazingly ugly Destoryer .
The bug is still there and i saw this pic again in my pile of pics and the rest so they say is history .
So without further ado here is my version ...the TP-88 Heavy Fighter.
Heres the first pile of parts to get my brain working on the idea and the first part is to lengthen the fuselage .
DSCF3107 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3109 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Here the new section is being built and cleaned up and the nose is now from a 72nd B-25 and thats when i looked at the thing and bugger me it kinda looks like a 109G  :o
DSCF3110 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3111 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Now this is the third idea for mounting the new engines ,,Rolls Royce Merlins   ;D
DSCF3112 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3120 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Since this is a tricycle landing gear now of course ive gotta build the new wheel wells for it ,,the ones for the wings are easy as hell ,,but the front is a different story..since i dont have one ,,,gotta build it ,,so far its not to bad and yup ..tank parts are being used again  :lol:
DSCF3121 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3123 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3127 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3132 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
The new nose ,,with twin 30mm cannons nd quad 50's 
DSCF3118 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
These pics are just to give you blokes some idea of what this will look like .
DSCF3114 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
DSCF3116 by Phill Harrison, on Flickr
Some how i think this is going to look alot better than the first one i built on here  <_< :lol:

If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

comrade harps

Whatever.

Wardukw

Nope  ;D more fire power Comrade mate .
2 x 30mm cannon..now this isn't decided but its either going to be quad 50's or 2 x 50cal and 2 x 20mm and these still more guns in the wings too.
Theres 2 x 50cals in the wings already .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

:wub: Wonderful change in the silhouette! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Oh    :wub:

Do you happen to have anything more streamlined than a P-40 cockpit canopy for it?

Wardukw

Tophe mate  ;D..thank ya dude..its slowly getting there but i looked at one of the pics and it looks terrible without the horizontal stabilizers  :lol:
Im sorry to say nope on that perttime mate..when it comes to aircraft parts pathetic is a understatement..i gotta use what i have which aint much  ;D

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 10, 2021, 11:32:24 PM
but i looked at one of the pics and it looks terrible without the horizontal stabilizers  :lol:
Would you consider a T-tail? :unsure: ;)

Dizzyfugu

Cool, I like that.  :thumbsup:

Looks a bit nose-heavy, though? Might need bigger tail sufaces to compensate?

zenrat

Looking at it again it might need longer wings.
;D
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on December 11, 2021, 04:01:50 AM
;D

Ah! Exactly what i was thinking!  ;D
But i like it the way it is anyway. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Scotaidh

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 11, 2021, 04:05:39 AM
;D

Ah! Exactly what i was thinking!  ;D
But i like it the way it is anyway. :thumbsup:

At first glance, I, too, thought it needed bigger wings.  But then I looked again, and I think you could get away with the current ones, justifying the small wing area as "reduced drag for enhanced speed."  After all, the B-26 Martin Marauder had very small wings and was known as a "hot ship."  :)

As for armament, I'd go with triple 30mm - two hits anywhere near the wing-roots of any WWII aircraft virtually guaranteed its destruction - even the heavies, like a B-17/24/Lanc/etc.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Well, this is looking a bit of a beastie, isn't it! :wacko: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

;D

Well of COURSE it does!  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Uh, the double-twin-P-40 had a bigger span but it was a different plane :unsure: :-\

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/p-40-twin-engin-Z.jpg
<_<