RCAF Thunderbird 2

Started by The Rat, December 23, 2021, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 31, 2021, 06:42:48 PM
That's neat Ratty ! Love the pod.

:thumbsup:

A bit more progress. The 3 little modules that came with it have been repurposed in RCAF service, explained in the upcoming back story. Still some touch-up to do obviously.

RWB by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

Emergency wheeled runway vehicles..so cool  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is going very nicely Dave..cant wait foe the finished model  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Slow and steady. The landing legs are gimmicky, but it would be difficult to make the telescoping in this scale. The pod fits too snugly, it will take a lot of scraping and filing to ensure that it can slip in and out of place without scratching the paint.

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Wardukw

Looking so good Dave..for ya telescoping legs you could use brass tube..great for any scale and strong.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 13, 2022, 05:13:49 PM
Looking so good Dave..for ya telescoping legs you could use brass tube..great for any scale and strong.

They hold it up well enough, but they don't actually telescope up into the body, they fold back. I'll just take them off as needed for pictures.

Wardukw

Yeah sometimes its just easier at the end of the day to take the easy way out and trying to build working multi stage rams is a real PITA..id do the same thing Dave..prefect example..landing gear on model planes which wont fit in their bays  :thumbsup:

Rick Lowe

Sort of Occam's Razor - in that the simple answers are easiest and work best, and take less time and thought and effort, all of which would eat into building time for the next project!

jcf

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 31, 2021, 12:42:51 PM
Quote from: The Rat on December 31, 2021, 12:37:35 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 31, 2021, 04:17:46 AM
Quote from: The Rat on December 30, 2021, 02:13:35 PM
Flat black is under all areas, so it isn't the base coat that's the problem. Hmmm...

Possibly it would work better with gloss black?

Not sure, this is the first time I've used a black undercoat. Never found it necessary with Rub n' Buff.

Oh, ok - I was thinking of what they recommended for the other system...  can't recall it at present, but the one where you rubbed metal powder into the black base - could well have been Rub 'n' Buff, come to think of it.
Or Metalizer...

That was the SnJ Products Spray Metal system.

Wardukw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 13, 2022, 08:21:50 PM
Sort of Occam's Razor - in that the simple answers are easiest and work best, and take less time and thought and effort, all of which would eat into building time for the next project!
See thats the opposite of me ...if i want something to work its going to work ..being a padantic pain in the arse does not help me with building a model..this apocalyptic truck thingy im building i needed the drive shaft to bend so the trailer can pivot..2 hrs of work later it now does..killed 3 CV joints to make it but got it in the end.
What Dave is doing makes perfect sense ..why spend hrs when in the end theres no great result.
Bloody wish id do that  :lol:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 13, 2022, 11:49:54 PM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on February 13, 2022, 08:21:50 PM
See thats the opposite of me ...if i want something to work its going to work ..being a padantic pain in the arse does not help me with building a model..this apocalyptic truck thingy im building i needed the drive shaft to bend so the trailer can pivot..2 hrs of work later it now does..killed 3 CV joints to make it but got it in the end.
What Dave is doing makes perfect sense ..why spend hrs when in the end theres no great result.

That's something i'm training myself not to do so i can finish more models.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Wardukw

I know why im like i am when it cpmes to details Fred..military vehicles...there's so much detail and of course the life you put into it the better it looks.
When i started building wiffys that same thing happened again..details and yeah it does make for a long build most times.
This heli carrier thing is moving surprisingly fast really..the vehicle itself is built..pics later this week i hope..now im starting on the Huey and im happy to say im not going nuts on the detail  ;D
The engine wont be seen ..had to glue its door in place cause the fuselage was twisted and wouldnt hold shape..ill detail the cockpit ..buts thats easy ..the real detail i think will be the paint ..i start a post on the Huey when theres more of it. :thumbsup:

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 13, 2022, 11:49:54 PM

Perfect sense if you want to get it done, not so perfect if you finish it and then keep thinking "I really should have taken the time to..." My thoughts nearly always go both ways. I don't think there's a single model on my shelves that I haven't looked at and said that to myself, not long after saying, "Well, it's got some rough patches, but I'm damned glad that it's done!"  ;D

Build for fun, and if fun means getting the moustache on a 1/144th pilot looking perfect, that's the builder's business.

Wardukw

Yeah Dave i gotta learn to detail only the good spots and not worry about the ones that ya cant see...i dont bother with tank interiors anymore and i now only spray the areas in cockpits you can see ..saves alot of time and paint  ;D
I do have the same thoughts and theres more than one model which ill look at and know theres areas which need attention but to other flokes its fine but i think alot of us are like that.

Rick Lowe

Yup, I will put my hand up and admit to that...

I always tell myself I'll do better with the next build, and then I take shortcuts in other areas...  ;D