1/350 Martin T4M torpedo bomber

Started by frank2056, December 24, 2021, 10:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I built this plane in between projects over a couple of months and yesterday I finally finished the base.

The plane is a Trumpeter 1/350 Martin T4M torpedo bomber, with PE struts and wheels. I whiffed it by adding a cowl ring.

The base is gray Depron, painted white. I roughed it up a bit with some ruts and pits. I found a grassy airfield image online,  printed it onto decal film and applied it to the Depron.  I added some grass bits as well.
The building is a 1/144 scale paper model shack that I scaled down to 1/350. I just don't have the knack for paper models - this little shack was not fun to put together! The figure in the overalls is a Northstar US Navy 3D printed figure.

Trumpeter doesn't include a torpedo (or any weapons) and the engine is just a slab - I painted the cylinders on the clear plastic and hid the details with the brass cowl ring:

It was a fun little project, the most annoying part was the clear plastic Trumpeter insists on using for these small planes.

No I have no plans on rigging this. The local spider didn't want to part with its web and didn't want to rig it for me, either.

TomZ

Wow, that is fabulous!

Just how small is that thing?

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on December 24, 2021, 10:35:57 AM

Just how small is that thing?

EXACTLY my thoughts as well.  :o

And no giant Tamiya paint pots in the 'Scale Reference Pic' either.............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Ye gods! My flabber is totally gasted!  :o :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 25, 2021, 02:38:05 AM
Ye gods! My flabber is totally gasted!  :o :o :o :o

As is mine  :o that is outstanding  :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

That's ridiculous!  :blink:

Don't blame you for not rigging it!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

kerick

Obviously trying to trick us by using the old shrink ray again.  :wacko:
Well done! I couldn't begin to build something that tiny!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on December 25, 2021, 06:36:53 AM
I couldn't begin to build something that tiny!

Nor can I, but I'm going to have to, one day, as I have one aircraft carrier, a LHD & a Dreadnought carrier conversion I have yet to build in 1/350 ... & you can't have aircraft carriers without aircraft on the decks! :o :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Old Wombat on December 25, 2021, 07:47:38 AM

Nor can I, but I'm going to have to, one day, as I have one aircraft carrier, a LHD & a Dreadnought carrier conversion I have yet to build in 1/350 ... & you can't have aircraft carriers without aircraft on the decks! :o :-\

You can. Put it in a dry dock  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

My god Frank !!  ..i have enough trouble with 48th scale with something that small..absolutely fantastic build .
Yup its official..this blows me away  :wub:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Ps...never given 3 thumbsups before  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

Thanks, guys! That little hut was harder to put together than the PE struts between the wings.

I used a Donegan Optivisor with an LED light that I printed. It makes putting small stuff together a lot easier.