USS Iowa - Post 1989 explosion reconstruction and refurbishment.

Started by seadude, December 28, 2021, 11:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Nice work!

For terminology sake, the stairs are called "ladders" and the deck hatches are called "scuttles" in US Navy service.  Not a criticism, just trying to help! Gotta sound salty if you ever encounter those docents at the battleship museums  :thumbsup: (highly recommended!).  I have had the pleasure on being on five battleships: North Carolina, Massachusetts, Alabama, Missouri & Wisconsin, and have seen the Iowa and New Jersey from pierside.  I think the North Carolina is the best from what you can tour and see, and Missouri for historical sake as the surrender site.             
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

seadude

Quote from: sandiego89 on March 09, 2022, 03:20:35 PM
Nice work!

For terminology sake, the stairs are called "ladders" and the deck hatches are called "scuttles" in US Navy service.  Not a criticism, just trying to help! Gotta sound salty if you ever encounter those docents at the battleship museums  :thumbsup: (highly recommended!).  I have had the pleasure on being on five battleships: North Carolina, Massachusetts, Alabama, Missouri & Wisconsin, and have seen the Iowa and New Jersey from pierside.  I think the North Carolina is the best from what you can tour and see, and Missouri for historical sake as the surrender site.           

My best friend got to go see both the Missouri and the New Jersey years ago. He gave me a copy of all the Missouri pics he took when he toured her. He says he eventually wants to see the Wisconsin and he'll take me with him. But for various reasons which would take too long to explain, I highly doubt that trip will ever happen.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

sandiego89

Quote from: seadude on March 09, 2022, 03:27:27 PM

My best friend got to go see both the Missouri and the New Jersey years ago. He gave me a copy of all the Missouri pics he took when he toured her. He says he eventually wants to see the Wisconsin and he'll take me with him. But for various reasons which would take too long to explain, I highly doubt that trip will ever happen.

The Wisconsin is absolutely immaculate, just like the crew walked off.  They have opened more of her up in recent years now that she is no longer on recall status. For years only a few spaces were opened and most spaces were carefully sealed and had de-humidifiers running.  I can see her topside for my office window at work. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

seadude

Almost done. Still have to do the following yet.
But getting the photoetch fire hoses, and the VLS's has to wait till I get my tax refund so I can buy them.  :banghead:

To Do list:

Add various whip communication antennas.
Build display stand.
Add photoetch fire hoses.
Add photoetch stairs in some areas.
Buy, paint, and add VLS missile cells.
Finish building starboard main refueling kingpost.
Add 5" guns.
Add American flag decal on top of turret # 1.

seadude

Well, it's getting down to the wire so to speak. Just have the following left to do.
But, I've hit a slight snag.  :banghead:
To Do list:
Add photoetch fire hoses.
Buy, paint, and add VLS missile cells.
Finish building starboard main refueling kingpost.
Add American flag decal on top of turret # 1.

I was hoping to get this VLS from Shapeways.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NVR3CF8NE/1-350-64-cell-mk-41-vls-x2
But after adding up all the manufacturing charges, taxes, and shipping charges, I can definately say this is NOT going to happen.  :banghead:
With the way the economy is due to inflation and such, I'll have to go the cheaper route and buy the following square tile instead.
It may not look as good, but it can't be helped.
https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/040-1-0mm-opaque-white-polystyrene-sidewalk/products/4502-1-12-x-1-12-opaque-white-polystyrene-square-tile

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Wardukw

Quote from: seadude on February 20, 2022, 06:25:01 PM

Those drains on the Aa gun tubs do two things..yup allow water to drain out but its also where they would sweep all the empty 40mm shell cases to clear the gun pit ..it saved the crew from having to pic them up and throw them over the side dew to the huge amounts of ammo used in combat.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

seadude

My Iowa model ain't done yet. It's only about 99.999999999% done.
I just ordered photoetch fire hoses which I need to add to the ship.
Once those are added, then I'll have final pics to show and I can call the model done.  :thumbsup:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

seadude

Yes, I did finish this beast. My very last thing to put on was the photoetch fire hoses which I mentioned in an earlier post.
Now that that is done, here are some final pics of my model when I took it to two model contests this year. I got a 2nd Place Silver medal at each contest for my model.