USS Iowa - Post 1989 explosion reconstruction and refurbishment.

Started by seadude, December 28, 2021, 11:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on February 06, 2022, 07:26:12 AM

If I go with the gunship gray wood decks, there's 2 spots that I may leave painted the tan wood deck: the fantail area where the former two 40mm gun tubs are, and the 03 Level Signal Deck below the bridge area. I would leave these tan as a "reminder/nostalgia" for when the ships actually had teak wood decks to show.

That sounds a neat solution  :thumbsup:

Thanks for the answer to my Admiral's Barge query  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

I wouldn't exactly say I'm getting close to the finish line on this model, but I am still making good progress. I was hoping to have this model "maybe" done in time for a March 5th contest. But the more I look at it and the things that still need to be worked on it, the more I realize that won't happen.
So the laundry list of To Do things is the following. This is not a complete list by any means.

Build and paint one deck tractor.
Build and paint #'s 1 and 3 main gun turrets.
Paint all wooden decks.
Finish 2-3 helicopters.
Add various whip communication antennas.
Build and paint flight deck safety netting.
Paint helicopter flight deck.
Add refueling hose reel in fantail 40mm gun tub.
Finish painting portholes in some superstructure assemblies.
Add decals to ship.
Build display stand.
Paint 5"/54 Mk.45 guns.
Add photoetch fire hoses.
Add photoetch stairs in some areas.
Buy, paint, and add VLS missile cells.
Add "rigging" to bow area NTDS antenna.
Paint bow deck area and anchor chains.
Finish building starboard main refueling kingpost and hose lines.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

seadude

Old Wombat

"Limited eyesight" working on 1/350 scale ships ..... I share your pain, brother! :-\

Whilst being in awe of your skills! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 15, 2022, 02:31:18 AM
"Limited eyesight" working on 1/350 scale ships ..... I share your pain, brother! :-\

Whilst being in awe of your skills! :bow:

You and me both squire  :bow: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

seadude

NARSES2

sandiego89

Nice work! 

"drain spouts" on ships are called scuppers. 

I wonder if the aft storage container for the UAV/tractor could handle the overpressure from a salvo from the aft turret? 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Old Wombat

Quote from: sandiego89 on February 21, 2022, 06:33:44 AM
I wonder if the aft storage container for the UAV/tractor could handle the overpressure from a salvo from the aft turret?

Only if it was well armoured, but the thickness of the styrene in 1/350 probably equates to about 12"-18", which might be sufficient.

seadude

One thing I did miss for my model is to eventually add a jettisonable fuel storage bladder as seen in the starboard side fantail gun tub in this pic of the USS Iowa.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/0161028.jpg
It was used for fueling purposes for the Pioneer RPV's. While the JP-5 fuel for the helicopters would come from tanks 2 decks down inside the ship.
The fuel bladder in the tub could be jettisoned quickly over the side in case of fire.
Iowa had hers in the starboard tub while some of the other battleships had theirs in the port tub.
Also, I'll have to add the landing signal aid for helicopters as shown on the right side of that tub.

seadude

Old Wombat

seadude