My Library just grew again......... 2022 edition

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2021, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: Nick on November 25, 2022, 06:50:02 AM
Quote from: Gondor on November 25, 2022, 05:57:06 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 24, 2022, 12:09:20 AM
Quote from: Nick on November 23, 2022, 08:38:00 AMI picked up the latest copy of SAM to see the second part of the F-111 in RAF service article and to find out what happens next in the Cuban Missile Crisis - no spoilers please!  ;) 

Lovely read on the first few pages but then they've obviously had a printing error. They managed to print page 30 on what should have been page 26.  :banghead:
I shall be writing to the editor...

I shall be speaking to him on Dec 4th  ;)

That could be the printers fault, but not necessarily

Gondor

I emailed him this afternoon and he very kindly sent a pdf of the missing page within 10 minutes  :thumbsup:
He is hoping for extra space in a future issue to reprint it. Says there was 'a bit of a mess-up after passing the file back to the office'.

That's good of him. I bought a copy today and found no issues  :rolleyes:  with mine.  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Just got this: a crowdfunded exercise by Joe Coles, the operator of the Hush-Kit website.

Quality is excellent, with beautiful illustration by Andy Godfrey. Content is a mixture of 'listicles' ("Top 10 Incredible Military Aircraft") and interviews with pilots. LOADS of what-if material too.

Hush-Kit website: https://hushkit.net/
Hush-Kit Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hush_Kit
Andy Godfrey's Twitter: @teaselstudio1

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Didn't add to my library but I did sit down and create a spreadsheet of my Biggles collection.
I've got a lot still to collect.

Currently reading Biggles Hunts Big Game.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Creating spreadsheets like that is relatively easy. Keeping them up to date on the other hand  :banghead:

Ask me how I know ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 28, 2022, 06:06:54 AMCreating spreadsheets like that is relatively easy. Keeping them up to date on the other hand  :banghead:

Ask me how I know ?  :angel:

One has to remember to write down each buy without letting too much time pass.
I started 10 years ago creating an Excel file of my books. It took me a month, to write about 5000 titles. Now I am up to 8500, too much shopping, I must slow down.
My file is quite complete, I have columns for:
author/original title/title my edition (if translated)/language/publisher/year/category 1/category 2/category 3/read or not/price/where

Categories are helpful for example in finding titles necessary for research, like:  photography/french/erotic   or railway/german/military...
I must be an addict to Excel, I created files also for kits,  for trains (each country a different file, with pages for steam, electric, diesel, freight, passenger...), for 1/87 military, and for 1/87 cars and trucks.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Gondor

Received from Guideline Publication today

Camouflage & Markings No 4, The Israeli Air Force Part Two: 1967 to 2001

With this edition I now have all three parts on the IAF, this one also covers what I consider the most interesting period of their existence.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on November 28, 2022, 08:18:46 AMI must be an addict to Excel,

I still struggle with Excel I'm afraid. We used Lotus at work and I continued to use it when we moved to Excel (I still think there was something fishy about that deal), but unfortunately that's long past.  :-\  I must try and get to grips with it next year.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 29, 2022, 05:55:33 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on November 28, 2022, 08:18:46 AMI must be an addict to Excel,

I still struggle with Excel I'm afraid. We used Lotus at work and I continued to use it when we moved to Excel (I still think there was something fishy about that deal), but unfortunately that's long past.  :-\  I must try and get to grips with it next year.

Using it only to create lists of things,without convoluted calculations, I find it very easy and practical.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on November 29, 2022, 06:41:37 AMUsing it only to create lists of things,without convoluted calculations, I find it very easy and practical.

I just think I'm prejudiced against it to be honest. I used to do some quite complex spreadsheets with Lotus but do I actually need to do something like that for lists of models (built and unbuilt) and books ? Not really, so I must make an effort in 2023.

zenrat

I used to be a dab hand at Excell but then I changed jobs to one where I don't use it and micro$oft went and changed everything anyway.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on November 30, 2022, 02:51:02 AMI used to be a dab hand at Excell but then I changed jobs to one where I don't use it and micro$oft went and changed everything anyway.

It's the sheer frequency with which they amend things that gets me. Most of it is completely unnecessary and is probably only done so they can justify the hoards of programmers that they employ most of whom are only employed so that their competitors can't employ them. I know most IT companies are the same, but MS are the ones who seem to get my goat the most  :angry:

Come the revolution boys and girls  ;D

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 30, 2022, 06:03:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 30, 2022, 02:51:02 AMI used to be a dab hand at Excell but then I changed jobs to one where I don't use it and micro$oft went and changed everything anyway.

It's the sheer frequency with which they amend things that gets me. Most of it is completely unnecessary and is probably only done so they can justify the hoards of programmers that they employ most of whom are only employed so that their competitors can't employ them. I know most IT companies are the same, but MS are the ones who seem to get my goat the most  :angry:

Come the revolution boys and girls  ;D

COME THE REVOLUTION!  Microsoft gets my goat because it is always changing things just for the sake of changing them.  Update, after update, after update because they produce unsafe and buggy software all the time.  Linux is marginally better but only just.   Apple is a waste of space.   :banghead:  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rick Lowe

There was a media mogul Bond Villain whose minion made the best generalization I've heard, of the computer industry - especially as applied to MicroFloppy... have a look, it's in the Pierce Broanan one where he's dealing with a Stealth Boat and the Royal and Chinese navies are involved.
Teri Hatcher features, also  :wub:  :wub:

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 01, 2022, 12:00:47 AMTeri Hatcher features, also  :wub:  :wub:

Ooooh, I've not seen that one, wasn't a fan of the Pierce Broanan era (not him, but the films) but Teri might be a reason to view it  :angel:

Leading Observer

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 01, 2022, 12:41:12 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 01, 2022, 12:00:47 AMTeri Hatcher features, also  :wub:  :wub:

Ooooh, I've not seen that one, wasn't a fan of the Pierce Broanan era (not him, but the films) but Teri might be a reason to view it  :angel:

Ms Hatcher was very carefully filmed, as she was "with child" at the time
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures