My Library just grew again......... 2022 edition

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2021, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Ah yes I seem to remember something in the press at the time
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Oxfam in Hereford:-  "Combat fleets of the World" 2006 edition, because it covers all sorts of ancillary craft;  and the "Eagle Book of Britain's Fighting Services" (1962} which I received as a Christmas present 60 years ago and have bought today purely for nostalgic reasons.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on November 30, 2022, 09:59:10 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on November 30, 2022, 06:03:57 AM
Quote from: zenrat on November 30, 2022, 02:51:02 AMI used to be a dab hand at Excell but then I changed jobs to one where I don't use it and micro$oft went and changed everything anyway.

It's the sheer frequency with which they amend things that gets me. Most of it is completely unnecessary and is probably only done so they can justify the hoards of programmers that they employ most of whom are only employed so that their competitors can't employ them. I know most IT companies are the same, but MS are the ones who seem to get my goat the most  :angry:

Come the revolution boys and girls  ;D

COME THE REVOLUTION!  Microsoft gets my goat because it is always changing things just for the sake of changing them.  Update, after update, after update because they produce unsafe and buggy software all the time.  Linux is marginally better but only just.   Apple is a waste of space.   :banghead:  :banghead:

I use Open Office, which is essentially a free, open-source clone of old MS Office including old Excel, which I got very used to working at Woodford.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on December 04, 2022, 10:05:57 PMI use Open Office, which is essentially a free, open-source clone of old MS Office including old Excel, which I got very used to working at Woodford.

Me too, I've had it for ages now, and it works like a charm for me.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 04, 2022, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: Weaver on December 04, 2022, 10:05:57 PMI use Open Office, which is essentially a free, open-source clone of old MS Office including old Excel, which I got very used to working at Woodford.

Open Office is an excellent piece of software.  Pity MS won't learn from it.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: rickshaw on December 04, 2022, 10:36:37 PM

Open Office is an excellent piece of software.  Pity MS won't learn from it.  :banghead:

But that would mean admitting that they *don't* know everything and that their product *isn't* perfect! ;)

rickshaw

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 04, 2022, 10:41:50 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on December 04, 2022, 10:36:37 PM

Open Office is an excellent piece of software.  Pity MS won't learn from it.  :banghead:

But that would mean admitting that they *don't* know everything and that their product *isn't* perfect! ;)
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

From WH Smiths:

US Supersonic Bomber Projects by Scott Lowther

It's a softback 'bookazine' and only a tenner which makes it good value. It has drawings for every project (I think) and the drawings are TO SCALE and THE SCALE IS STATED ON THEM. :thumbsup:

More info: https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/5630/bookazine-us-supersonic-bomber-projects

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Every time I'm in Smiths I look at the latest Bookazine collection. Haven't seen that one yet, must keep an eye open for it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Scott Lowther stuff in WH Smiths? Wow, progress is being made!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 08:34:30 AMScott Lowther stuff in WH Smiths? Wow, progress is being made!  :thumbsup:

I saw that in Asda on Saturday.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on November 26, 2022, 07:00:17 AMJust got this: a crowdfunded exercise by Joe Coles, the operator of the Hush-Kit website.

Quality is excellent, with beautiful illustration by Andy Godfrey. Content is a mixture of 'listicles' ("Top 10 Incredible Military Aircraft") and interviews with pilots. LOADS of what-if material too.

Hush-Kit website: https://hushkit.net/
Hush-Kit Twitter: https://twitter.com/Hush_Kit
Andy Godfrey's Twitter: @teaselstudio1

Video review of the Hush-Kit Book Of Warplanes by Ed Nash:

- Indiana Jones

Mossie

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 08:34:30 AMScott Lowther stuff in WH Smiths? Wow, progress is being made!  :thumbsup:

I saw that in Asda on Saturday.

I'm going into town today so hopefully they'll have it in the main branch.  I looked in the smaller one in the station yesterday but they didn't have it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

NARSES2

From WH Smiths yesterday  :thumbsup:

US Supersonic Bomber Projects Volume 1 by Scott Lowther

Interestingly this is V.1 which primarily covers those more serious designs. The forthcoming V.2 will cover those more esoteric types.

Weaver

Two more bookazines from Mortons, this time because they sent me a Christmas discount code: XMAS20. Gets you 20% off + entry into a prize draw for £100 worth of books.

Mortons website: https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/home

- Indiana Jones