My Library just grew again......... 2022 edition

Started by Rheged, December 29, 2021, 07:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 12, 2022, 12:57:20 PM
You can't but wonder WHY?  :o

Theoretically, they can be exceptionally manoeuvrable  but  as we all know, abstruse theory does not always work in practice.

It is also suggested that circularity  serves to reduce draught while allowing the ship to carry much more armour and a heavier armament than other ships of the same size.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 12, 2022, 08:22:18 AM
The Novgorod's the only one that comes up on a Google search.

I had a quick rummage through a couple of books I've got on the birth of the modern battleship - Warrior to Dreadnaught type of things and couldn't find any either.

For some reason I thought the French had dabbled ? Obviously wrong
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The circular battleships were self-propelled coast defense monitors rather than being designed
for ship-to-ship maneuver warfare. The circular plan made some sense in that it could carry much
heavier armament than a conventional hull of the same displacement. They worked OK for what they
were and the stories of spinning and whirling etc. have been dismissed as exaggeration by modern
naval historians.

Rheged

I've just been given a copy of  " The Dumpy Book of Aircraft and Flight "    dated 1960 and published  by Sampson, Low.     It has a certain period charm as it reflects the brightest and best of the late 1950's.   Among the gems within are the Argentinean IA 38 tailless four engined transport aircraft  designed under the direction of Reimar Horten and based on the German Horten Ho VIII project.............it looks suitably weird;   and a comment that the Blackburn Beverley was designed to be fitted with rockets to reduce the take-off run.  Was this ever actually trialled?.... and if so is there an eyewitness report of this rather portly and sedate aircraft being hurled into the air in an outburst of sound and fury?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FMA_I.Ae_38  Data,   and pictures   https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ia+38+transport+aircraft&sxsrf=ALiCzsaFnMFwM6LXCtX6d_wGZoX_LYumAw:1658431739983&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixu_vV24r5AhXOYMAKHQpVCQsQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1366&bih=657&dpr=1
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

Harrier: How To Be a Fighter Pilot.

Paul Tremelling's Dad was an ATC at Yeovilton. One afternoon in 1982 young Paul got to see the entire fleet take off. His Dad said 'There's some trouble in South America'.....
Some years later Paul joined the Navy and learnt to fly Sea Harriers.

Saw this in the supermarket and it's a good read. Very relaxed tone and lots of detail on how carrier flight ops work.

Steel Penguin

from Mrs SP for my birthday  Warhammer fantasy roleplay 4th ed, a lovely full colour hardback, seems that theve rolled the time line back to around the same as 1st ed,  a lot is simaler, but the development of 30 ish years is there.   time to head back to the old world, and explore the empire.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Gondor

Just downloaded three Flight Manuals so I suppose they go here  :-\

Hunter T7
Hunter FGA9
Hunter FR10

References for trying to get the cockpits looking right.. ish rather than what is provided by some kits.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Supermarine Secret Projects: Volume 2 Fighters and Bombers

Publication date was meant to be last week but Mortons website says it is now available for pre-order for 19th August.
https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/5629/bookazine-supermarine-secret-projects-vol-2-fighters-bombers

Rick Lowe

A book from a friends' estate - War Movies by Jay Hyams.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114835937283

Published in 1984 so not too modern, but it goes right back to the beginning and has a lot of obscure stuff I'm going to have to try and track down.
Interesting dipping in and out, so far.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Picked up a copy of the Airframe Album on the Meteor by Richard Franks at a reduced price.  :thumbsup:

Lots and LOTS or pics and diagrams of every variant ever, including all the one-offs and test machines. There's so many of them that it'd be difficult to Whiff one that hadn't already been done!

Of course he doesn't mention the PR19 as they'd have had him in The Tower before he blinked if he'd even have hinted about it.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received two books today via eBay

Hawker Hunter: Biography of a thoroughbred by Francis K. Mason

Flight Craft 16 Hawker Hunter in British Service

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Got Key Publication's VC10 bookazine today, and pretty good it is too. Lots of pics that I've never seen before, and I've got most of the VC10 books published so far.

But it doesn't cover very many of the VC10 projects that never were, our bread and butter on here..............

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Osprey are bringing out a book in their X-Planes series on the McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat. Ordered it this morning