Saab Tunnan, Israeli Air Force

Started by TomZ, December 29, 2021, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Saab Tunnan, Israeli Air Force

The Saab 29 Tunnan, colloquially Flygande tunnan (English: "The flying barrel"), was a Swedish fighter that was designed and manufactured by Saab in the 1940s. It was the second turbojet-powered combat aircraft to be developed in Sweden, the first being the Saab 21R, and it was the first Western European fighter to be produced with a swept wing post World War II, only being preceded in Western Europe as a whole by the Me 262 built during the war. Despite its rotund appearance, from which its name is derived, the J 29 was fast and agile and served effectively in both fighter and fighter-bomber roles into the 1970s.

At the end of the 1950s Saab sought export customers for the Tunnan. One the interested parties was the Israeli Air Force. After an evaluation period, competing against the French Super Mystere, Israel bought 32 Tunnans. Later a further 58 were ordered.

Model: 1/48 Pilot replicas

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Caveman

secretprojects forum migrant

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Nice. There has been a suitable profile around the WWW for ages that frequently pops up when I research the J29. Now there's even hardware to prove it!

I just wonder about the odd windscreen on the model? But it's OOB, I assume?  :unsure:

KiwiZac

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

DogfighterZen

Very nice!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 30, 2021, 03:58:55 AM
Nice. There has been a suitable profile around the WWW for ages that frequently pops up when I research the J29. Now there's even hardware to prove it!

I just wonder about the odd windscreen on the model? But it's OOB, I assume?  :unsure:

I noticed it, too... looks way too big compared to the real thing, almost looks as if it's the aft section of a normal canopy. Very weird indeed.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TomZ

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on December 30, 2021, 03:58:55 AM

It's straight OOB.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 04, 2022, 07:17:06 AM
Weird. Looks surprisingly odd?

I think I know what you mean ? But the Tunnan has always looked a little odd to me for some reason ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doug K

Old Wombat

I think that's a re-pop of the 1/48 AZ kit which is the only other image I could find with that look to the front of the canopy (both models & real aircraft). :-\

Still, this is Whif World, so maybe it's been modified to house some extra avionics used by the Israelis. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

flappydaffy

great job! a nice flying barel!!

... with a somewhat special looking canopy  :o

comrade harps

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 05, 2022, 06:24:26 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 04, 2022, 07:17:06 AM
Weird. Looks surprisingly odd?

I think I know what you mean ? But the Tunnan has always looked a little odd to me for some reason ?

I think it's the neat, smooth but rotund appearance. Almost like an egg plane.

Nice job, by the way :thumbsup:
Whatever.