F-111, FB-111, EF-111, Aardvark, Merlin, Raven, Sparkvark, and Pig

Started by Mike Wren, June 08, 2003, 07:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrmshadow

This work for you? I haven't done anything to it since I previewed it last night. After looking at it again, I went witha straight stealth raptor look instead of crossing the Vark with a Super Bug.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

GTX

What if the VG mechanism was all too hard and they needed to do a fixed wing F-111 instead:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

elmayerle

Quote from: SPINNERS on June 16, 2008, 02:49:40 PM
Rolls Royce Spey - good for 20,500lbs of thrust in the F-4M so whiffable to 25,000lbs :lol:

Actually, if you go off the Spey/TF41 with afterburning rather than the Spey Jr., you get a demonstrated (Allison/RR test engines back in 1967) 27,000 lbt. in full burner.  That should work quite handily, I'd think.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

Quote from: GTX on November 14, 2008, 07:46:50 PM
What if the VG mechanism was all too hard and they needed to do a fixed wing F-111 instead:

I'd probably try using a wing closer to the Vigilante's wing for a fixed-wing version.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

gooberliberation

Perhaps reduce the sweep on the leading edge of the tailplanes to match the wings?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

MAD

Quote from: Iranian F-14A on September 29, 2007, 08:50:20 AM
How about a US Navy KF-111B tanker? Throw an HDU into the weapons bay and have between 4 to 6 external tanks.The Russians use their Su-24s as buddy tankers,so a dedicated tanker of the -111 I'm sure would work.

A very expensive and maintenance intensive tanker, not to mention loss of capability!!

No, I think the Russian use of the Su-24 'Fencer' supporting other 'Fencers', was (is) like the very wasteful principle/concept that the French employed for its early Mirage IV bomber fleet, before they got KC-135's.

If you were to use the F-111 in a support role of other F-111's, it would have to be Recon, SEAD and ECM.
I have always been amazed that the USAF took so long to come up with a support ECM F-111 (EF-111A Raven) concept!
Also I have never comprehended why they never used the F-111 airframe in the dedicated reconnaissance role!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure: :unsure:

M.A.D

GTX

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on October 01, 2007, 08:57:46 AM
I was really impressed with that F-111JX WHIF and I sure wish we could find out who built that model as I would really like to see some more images of it besides the two that PhilP originally posted.  From this image you can see that there was some subtle modifications done to the intakes but the second image from the left front shows the original intake shape with a portion of the outer intake lip trimmed away to give it a raked appearance.  The individual that created this F-111 WHIF is truly blessed with genius, especially when you consider he was using the old Monogram (Aurora) kit for this project.  

Hey Jeffry, you re-found the pics - great!!! (Folks, go back one page to see what I'm referring to)

Does anyone know who actually did this wonder - we really need them here (preferably with extra pics).

Quote from: Sauragnmon on November 21, 2008, 01:00:42 AMThat Stealth-vark looks pretty damn cool.  Somebody oughta build a model of that, it'd be damn neat to see.  I currently have no resources to come up with the idea, but still, I'd consider it.

Which one - there is Wyrmshadow's, mine (back a page) and the mystery creator's F-111JX (also back a page).

Regards,

Greg

Sauragnmon

My words are on the 111JX and your work, Greg.  Those are some real nice looking pieces.  The twinned tail looks nice, the smoothed out lines, and the EOTS allowing the payload bay.  Maybe even add a little more payload space somewhere, like on the 22.  Who knows.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Back in the '60s, both the VG wing and various Jet lift V/STOL concepts were equally in vogue.  The F-111 went the VG way, but what if it went the other way with 4 lift jets and fixed wing (with landing gear moved to wings).  It wouldn't really be VTOL capable, but maybe extreme STOL:

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

Putting that in VF-84 markings or in English White with lo vis blue/pink has that fine-whisky finish about it.
Nice job!

Daryl, hoping to see someone do this in kit form either here or ARC's WhiffBuild

Sauragnmon

STOL Raven would have been quite beneficient for the Naval Bird in concept - making sure the thing can get off the flight deck in short order.  Looks pretty damn cool.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

GTX

What if the F-111B had entered service and then been developed with new engines (say GE 110s) etc:

Regards,

Greg

Sauragnmon

Damn, if I had access to 110's... I'd consider rebuilding a Raven with them.  I don't know about the naval hook and such.

Dork the kit slayer

I had a short nose land based "Marine" 111 in the gallery a while back. :banghead:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on December 13, 2008, 08:00:25 PMWhat if the F-111B had entered service and then been developed with new engines (say GE 110s) etc:
Greg,

Not just the F-111B, but any F-111 version would benefit from this modification.  One of the reasons I have been hoarding exhaust parts from modern aircraft was to effect a cosmetic change to the F-111 for just this reason.  Figured the F110 or F100 parts would go a long way towards suggesting an engine upgrade and if you could source some of the exhaust parts from a pair of F-32 or F-35 kits you would be making a real fashion statement :^) 

Purists' beware, we don't care if it won't fit in real life just as long as it looks good on the model.  :^|
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg