F-111, FB-111, EF-111, Aardvark, Merlin, Raven, Sparkvark, and Pig

Started by Mike Wren, June 08, 2003, 07:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: GTX on September 03, 2011, 03:05:48 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 03, 2011, 02:47:50 PM
I'm not sure, but I bought it because it said it was the F-111B.  Esci maybe --  :unsure:  It shows an F-111B in the box art, does that help ?

Sorry, I meant which idea. ;)

The Canadian one ----  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Geoff

Quote from: GTX on September 03, 2011, 12:17:47 PM
An idea that just popped up.  What if the F-111B was also adopted by standard air forces (i.e. non Carrier based) as a dedicated interceptor.  Say, USAF and US ANG Squadrons replacing the F-106 with the F-111B interceptor.  Think of it as pre-empting the entire USAF ‘Improved Manned Interceptor’ (IMI) Program.

Regards,

Greg

Plus Iran and the UK?

TsrJoe

I recall geoff baker 'thorvic' built an f.111m based upon a mention in pro. Files, basically an f.111a with the radar of the b possibly a forum search might yield the original discussions and build to save going back over old territory ?

Cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Burncycle

I understand why they would prefer the EA-6B for logistics and maintenance reasons, but is there any technical reason they couldn't have created a naval EF-111 since the F-111B was carrier capable?

GTX

Well they would have needed the F-111B in service to justify it, but no major reason.  In fact who said they didn't? ;)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rallymodeller

An older profile of mine, related to the land-based interceptor idea:

--Jeremy

Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

More into Flight Sim reskinning these days, but still what-iffing... Leading Edge 3D

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

pyro-manic

I actually built that one! Or at least, a very similar one. For the F-111 GB a little while back. :)

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

anthonyp

Quote from: GTX on September 05, 2011, 01:14:43 AM
Well they would have needed the F-111B in service to justify it, but no major reason.  In fact who said they didn't? ;)

Regards,

Greg

LOL!!!  I've got one of these (sans wing pylons) recently built out to the point where I need to paint the interior before adding the cockpit glass.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Gondor

Ok, just partly to revive this thread as its rather good and also to try and make some sense out of what I have been reading over the last couple of hours.......

As I understand it the F-111K was to be an F-111A with the heavier FB-111A undercarriage and a retractable refuelling probe centrally located in front of the canopy?

If the above is right then a reasonable kit of the F-111 would have the correct intake as well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

That's about right Alastair, but the only kit I know of that has the longer wings and the early Triple Plow intakes is the original Revell one, but that doesn't have the FB-111 landing gear. But then AFAIK no kits do, unless Hasegawa did an FB-111 amongst their range. If so you'll need a World Bank loan to get one...........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 13, 2012, 11:02:20 PM
That's about right Alastair, but the only kit I know of that has the longer wings and the early Triple Plow intakes is the original Revell one, but that doesn't have the FB-111 landing gear. But then AFAIK no kits do, unless Hasegawa did an FB-111 amongst their range. If so you'll need a World Bank loan to get one...........

Hasegawa did an FB-111 in their range of which I have enough to produce a model of an FB-111 an F-111G and an F-111B using Pete's Hanger conversion set PHD 72001. Honestly though I don't think that there would be enough of the main undercarriage visible for anyone to notice the difference.
However I am confused about the wing length. Some people are saying its long and some saying its short. If its short I would need to get an A model so I have the correct intakes, if long I need either an FB-111 or an F-111G.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on May 14, 2012, 02:36:52 AM
F-111Cs also had long wings...

That's why the original Revell kit was easily adaptable into a C model, as they did a few years later. You even got the F-111B short nose as well, but it wasn't mentioned in the instructions.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit