F-111, FB-111, EF-111, Aardvark, Merlin, Raven, Sparkvark, and Pig

Started by Mike Wren, June 08, 2003, 07:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Ahah, so the later ones had the correct Triple Plow II intake moulding?

Does anyone, or did anyone, do a conversion from the earlier versions?

It's a BITCH to do it from scratch, I did it twice in the early 70s on an Airfix and a Revell A to make two Es for Scale Models. It was a total pain and I really don't want to do it again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 02, 2015, 08:34:33 AM
Ahah, so the later ones had the correct Triple Plow II intake moulding?

Does anyone, or did anyone, do a conversion from the earlier versions?

It's a BITCH to do it from scratch, I did it twice in the early 70s on an Airfix and a Revell A to make two Es for Scale Models. It was a total pain and I really don't want to do it again.

I might have a spare lower fuselage with the earlier intakes but I will have to check which version it is as.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Librarian

They were definitely two different air intake options, and a third for the EF-111. These were on separate sprues as is Hasegawa's habit....you HAVE to buy the right boxing :banghead:. There was a conversion available for the F-111B at some point....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Librarian on April 02, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
They were definitely two different air intake options, and a third for the EF-111. These were on separate sprues as is Hasegawa's habit....you HAVE to buy the right boxing :banghead:. There was a conversion available for the F-111B at some point....

It's the EF-111 kit I have and it has the earlier Triple Plow I intakes with the big splitter plates, and until this morning I had an F-111C and it had the same intakes.......

It's a conversion to later Triple Plow II intakes that I could be interested in.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

My mistake...memory gone all Basra. I just vaguely remember there was something different about that area :unsure:.

Consider the Italeri kit, that's also very nice for a F-111A...you can sweep the wings as well.

NeoConShooter

Quote from: Matt Wiser on May 21, 2003, 10:30:18 PM
I'd say the bad press from the first Vietnam deployment in 1968 was a factor, not to mention the failed USN F-111B version. The RAF's cancelling the F-111K program was another contributor in my opinion. GD did offer the F-111 to West Germany, Italy, Turkey, and even Israel, but no takers.
The main problem was that the plane was rushed into production and combat before all of the bugs were worked out. Once that was done, it was a great tactical bomber, but the B would have been a lousy carrier aircraft (too heavy, pilots lost sight of the deck just before touchdown, took up too much deck space, etc.) Great weapons system, though, and Grumann took the AWG-9/AIM-54 combo developed for the B and put it in the F-14. Finally, MacNamara's Whiz Kids (who knew very little about the military when they got to the Pentagon in 1961) seized on the program as one plane for the AF, Navy, and Marines (who never wanted it in the first place); and that was the first of many foul-up those \"bow-tie bastards\" created.
Those "reasons" why the F-111B was not bought are all BS! It was all politics in Congress and the Senate over which congressman's district would get the fat payroll contracts, not which was the best plane. Grumman was in New York and GD was in Georgia, IIRC and that was the whole story.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DarrenP2

EF 111 was only a Jammer aircraft of did it have Anti Radiation missiles?

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

thundereagle1997

F-111 with wings from f-16xl