My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

..... and little chance of him having any more of your business with an attitude like that?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2022, 04:16:21 AM
..... and little chance of him having any more of your business with an attitude like that?

Unfortunately, you're correct. I've used resin stuff from Attack Squadron, Freightdog, Aires, FB minis, and LoneStar, and none of those parts were warped or had fitting issues. Mot too long ago, i received a couple of High Planes Derby missile sets and guess what? They're perfect, no warping or even bubbles on the resin.
I understand that resin is a harder material to work with but i'm paying for a product that is supposed to be new and ready to use so, this was the first and last item i've bought from this brand. :angry:

And check out the reply from the ebay seller, whom i suspect is also the same person who replied on FB:
This was my original message:

"Hello, i have received my item today but i am sorry to say that i am very disappointed with the quality of the product. The resin missiles are very bent out of shape and only one is in usable condition. I know that this is not your fault but i wanted to know if you can help me with this issue. I have sent a message to the manufacturer brand on facebook but i'm not sure i will get an answer so if there is any way you can help me with this i would appreciate it very much."

Seller's reply:

"Hello! This is not a marriage. In any set of rockets, there are distortions. This is usually the norm for resin. It aligns very easily. Place the warped parts in hot water and align with a slight movement of your hand. The manufacturer will tell you the same. Check out a bunch of videos on how to do it."

This is what you get from this guy so my advice is to stay away from Reskit and Kelickalex, ebay seller from the Ukraine...
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

'This is usually the norm for resin':o

They might be the norm for HIS resin, but not for many others. I've NEVER seen a warped Freightdog resin ever!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2022, 06:51:08 AM
'This is usually the norm for resin':o

They might be the norm for HIS resin, but not for many others. I've NEVER seen a warped Freightdog resin ever!

Yup, none of the resin parts i have are warped and the fact that the guy just tells me to fix them myself shows the respect he has for the clients so, he's lost one here. :angry:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Im not surprised hes lost ya as a customer Zen...ive brought quite a lot of resin bits over the yrs..black dog..resicast..real model ..pro art..live resin and accurate armour and more and ive had a few issues but its always been sorted.
This dude knew these missiles were no good right from the get go and should never had sold them and yet he did ..yeah this guy is a prat .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 17, 2022, 10:10:26 AM
Im not surprised hes lost ya as a customer Zen...ive brought quite a lot of resin bits over the yrs..black dog..resicast..real model ..pro art..live resin and accurate armour and more and ive had a few issues but its always been sorted.
This dude knew these missiles were no good right from the get go and should never had sold them and yet he did ..yeah this guy is a prat .

Sure is! I guess he probably feels like losing one client is ok as the brand has become popular lately... :banghead:
I know i won't be buying any other parts from him or his brand. Reskit is DEAD for me. Lots of other good aftermarket brands out there who make most of what i could possibly want for my models. I only bought these missiles because you can only get styrene ones in 1/48 in the Skunkworks IDF weapons sets(also included in their recent releases of Israeli F-16 kits) and the Reskit resin set. There were resin sets made by Paragon Designs and Isracast but those are either hard to find or even more expensive than the Reskit set... :banghead:
The detail in the Styrene one isn't as good as on the resin ones so i decided to buy the resin set cause it would come out cheaper than buying the Skunkworks set.
I know the SW set has more in the box but i don't really need the others that are included so i opted for detail quality instead of quantity of items. I do admit that after this experience, i may end up buying the SW set later cause i know i'll probably want to use more than the 4 i have right now. :rolleyes:

DogfighterZen

Well, to make up for the disappointment with the missiles, i finally got a bottle of Unicorn tears, AKA Mr. Levelling thinner... ;D
I've heard wonders about this thinner and the "magic" it works with lacquer-based acrylic paints like Mr. Color or Tamiya. Last Friday i got the alert email from HobbySector saying it was available so i added one 400ml bottle to the cart where the Heller Lansen had been waiting for a couple of weeks. ;D :thumbsup:

Guess i can say i'm feeling a bit better after the missile debacle...  ;D Now i'm just waiting for a Bilek 1/72 Su-17 that i bought on ebay from another modeller called Johannes from Germany. Very helpful guy, sent a message with pics showing how he'd packed the kit, info on the kit itself and even a link to a review on youtube.
I'd already done my research on the kit before i bought it but it was still a nice gesture of the seller and i appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wardukw

Well there is one rule in the armour world and im sure it applies in the plane world too..more is better Zen mate and the way i see it is the SW kit costs more but you get more ..which we will always find a home for at some point.
Its partly why i love Trumpeter kits..you always get lots of extra goodies..Academy is the same ..well it is with armour .
I build a model for a customer of a 35th scale 18T Famo half track with a 88mm gun on it and i used a resin conversion set to build it..bloody expensive resin set to go with a pretty expensive Tamiya model..well the cabin floor..which is the fire wall..dash
..seats and front mud guards all in one was warpped right up the butt..because it was so thick nothing i did could fix it and forget a replacement..this conversion was discontinued ..so i had to use the tamiya floor and mod the hell out of it because the armoured cab had to fit..it worked out well but man alot of work..to be honest i think if I'd stratch built it it would have been easier.
Its like one brand i am very hesitant to buy is Verlinden ..its pretty hit and miss with that brand..very common to find warpped gun barrels..ill buy it only if i can score it for very cheap..like my Verlinden M51 Sherman turret conversion ..buggered barrel but the turret was fine..that got used on another project im still playing with.
Ive been given alot of Verlinden bits cause their stuffed which is fine for the parts bin but its also a shame when their quality control is crap .
People are spending their hard earned money on these things and like you ..end up with useless rubbish.
Ill bet you that if you tryed to straighten those parts they wont look perfectly straight..they never do ..sometimes plastic has that benefit over resin ..might just have to bite the bullet Zen and go for the SW kit sucky as the sounds.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

Its scary here that Mr Hobby stuff..ita brilliant stuff but damn expensive here in kiwi land.
I brought the Mr Hobby chrome sliver paint and damn its wicked good but cost me damn near $16 nz for this little pot of paint and i do try to stay away from lacquer paints ..one cause of the cost but two..my airbrush is crap..it loves water based but hates lacquer..i think its not designed for it .
Because of that Ww1 wiffy post i put a bid on a 48th Eduard Spad XIII propack  today ..the first WW1 aircraft ive ever bought ..had a couple gifted to me ..xmas and the like but those dont count  :lol:
Im glad ya found something to cheer ya up mate ..i hate a fellow modeller being in the dumps cause of a butt munch dealer.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 17, 2022, 12:28:43 PM
Well there is one rule in the armour world and im sure it applies in the plane world too..more is better Zen mate and the way i see it is the SW kit costs more but you get more ..which we will always find a home for at some point.
Its partly why i love Trumpeter kits..you always get lots of extra goodies..Academy is the same ..well it is with armour .
I build a model for a customer of a 35th scale 18T Famo half track with a 88mm gun on it and i used a resin conversion set to build it..bloody expensive resin set to go with a pretty expensive Tamiya model..well the cabin floor..which is the fire wall..dash
..seats and front mud guards all in one was warpped right up the butt..because it was so thick nothing i did could fix it and forget a replacement..this conversion was discontinued ..so i had to use the tamiya floor and mod the hell out of it because the armoured cab had to fit..it worked out well but man alot of work..to be honest i think if I'd stratch built it it would have been easier.
Its like one brand i am very hesitant to buy is Verlinden ..its pretty hit and miss with that brand..very common to find warpped gun barrels..ill buy it only if i can score it for very cheap..like my Verlinden M51 Sherman turret conversion ..buggered barrel but the turret was fine..that got used on another project im still playing with.
Ive been given alot of Verlinden bits cause their stuffed which is fine for the parts bin but its also a shame when their quality control is crap .
People are spending their hard earned money on these things and like you ..end up with useless rubbish.
Ill bet you that if you tryed to straighten those parts they wont look perfectly straight..they never do ..sometimes plastic has that benefit over resin ..might just have to bite the bullet Zen and go for the SW kit sucky as the sounds.

I will try to straighten them out eventually but i just wish i didn't have to do it cause i'm not sure if i'll be able to do it without breaking something... :banghead:
The only aftermarket parts set i had problems with so far was the Airwaves PE set for the Monogram 1/72 F8F Bearcat and that was bad... i ended up not using most of the parts as they were simply too big to fit in the designated space. Both the IP and the firewall behind the pilot's seat, it seemed like these parts were simply put out on the market without being tested. :angry:
I guess i'll probably buy the SW weapons set later on, i've got a quite a few jets in the stash that would look great with a pair of Python 5 "Go get'em!" sticks on the wingtip stations... :mellow:
I gotta get me some more Mr color acrylic paints, especially some of their metallic colors, they're very good indeed but they smell worse than Tamiya paints.
Re the airbrush, by what you said i'd think that's more to do with the compressor's pressure than with the airbrush, maybe you'll have to thin them more and run the compressor at a higher pressure setting?
You've probably tried all that before so if you have, ignore my words.  ;D

Wardukw

Nope ..not gonna ignore ya  ;D  ;D ..the problems with the airbrush is its not set up to spray paints with nasty cleaners like lacquer or 2 part paints..the first time i used lacquer with it .it sprayed very nicely ..cleaned it with the proper cleaner  and then the cleaner ate the rubber O rings and it leaked all over the place..hell its a 20 buck airbrush brought online..not Iwata or anything high end..hell second hand Iwata brushes are over $200nz so i be stuck with the cheapies  ;D
I dont even know what scale your missles are Zen but one thing i do know is its a pain in the sitting down part trying to sort these out and of course ..as ya said..breaking it .
If they small..72nd or 48th they will soften up fast ..heres a hint for ya..find some tube about the same size as the missles diameter and once the missile is soft stick it in the pipe..it should then stay straight when  it goes hard again ..its worked for me before ..should work for you too.
I know what ya mean about to many bits and to little space..had that problem ..another build for the same dude i built that Famo..a full interior in a Stryker ...but here was the issue..the model was from trumpeter and the interior kit was for a AFV Club Stryker..i had quite a few parts left over ..there was no way all those bits were going to fit and guess what ? ..they didnt  :lol:
Tomorrow ill be heading up to Auckland to visit 2 of my fav model shops..paint is on the list..either Tamiya or Ammo so i can finish my plane at last.
Guy sent me a very nice little pile of decals he didnt want cause when it comes to planes i have jack poop in the decals part  so now i can decal it too.
But i wont be painting bugger all this week i think cause the heat is nuts..30c here today and tomorrow  and just as high for the rest of the week..bring on winter  ;D

Howard of Effingham

Seen and bought on a stall in Coventry Market.

Airfix HO/OO Fort Sahara.
Keeper of George the Cat.

The Wooksta!

Searching for other things, stumbled on a not too expensive Contrail Supermarine Scimitar. Wanting a base donor for the Type 556, it just had to be snaffled.

I sold off an old tool Airfx Vulcan yesterday, so that paid for it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Received another eBay purchase today

1 x 1/72 airmodel TSK Hunter and Lightning Two Seat Canopy/Spine conversion set

It's a vac-form of the two different canopies with the spice attached, just what I need for a project I have in mind.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Went past the toy section in a big Tesco today and bought a toy car for a bargain £3. On Ebay they're going for around £10 posted.  :thumbsup:

It's not just any 'toy car', it's the DarkStar super jet from the should-be-out-by-now Top Gun: Maverick.
https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-movies/top-gun-maverick-flying-sr-72/