My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

From the eBay Fairy;

1/48 Monogram F-19 "Stealth Fighter". built with gear up.  No landing gear included.  It's fairly well put together.  Well enough to clean it up and finish up.  Not sure if I want to go with it as a fictional fighter or do some more extensive modification to make it a Sci-Fi space fighter build.  Time will tell. 

Also included as a nice extra, TwoBobs 1/48 Florida Phantoms decal sheet. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

Added to the pile today..
1/48th Academy P-38 J /L/E /Droopsnoot.
1/87 Revell Big Boy Locomotive ..super happy score..got if for $25  ..oh and another 32 mags .
1/48 Verlinden A-10 Thunderbolt 2 update set for get this..$10   :lol:
Thanks to Guy getting me back into planes again i ordered 3 ..yep 3 planes today..all 48th scale ..trumpeter Westland whirlwind..and sea hornet and a hobbyboss ta 152 ..at some point i will build something tracked again  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Gondor

Received in the post today from eBay

1 x 1/72 Xtrakit Hawker Hunter T.7

You can never have too many hunters and hopefully this may end up as a T.8/M

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on January 18, 2022, 02:21:21 PM

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-movies/top-gun-maverick-flying-sr-72/

I'm sure it would have been interesting to read this, but the veritable AVALANCHE of adverts overlaying it turned me right off. :(  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 17, 2022, 04:30:04 PM
Nope ..not gonna ignore ya  ;D  ;D ..the problems with the airbrush is its not set up to spray paints with nasty cleaners like lacquer or 2 part paints..the first time i used lacquer with it .it sprayed very nicely ..cleaned it with the proper cleaner  and then the cleaner ate the rubber O rings and it leaked all over the place..hell its a 20 buck airbrush brought online..not Iwata or anything high end..hell second hand Iwata brushes are over $200nz so i be stuck with the cheapies  ;D
I dont even know what scale your missles are Zen but one thing i do know is its a pain in the sitting down part trying to sort these out and of course ..as ya said..breaking it .
If they small..72nd or 48th they will soften up fast ..heres a hint for ya..find some tube about the same size as the missles diameter and once the missile is soft stick it in the pipe..it should then stay straight when  it goes hard again ..its worked for me before ..should work for you too.
I know what ya mean about to many bits and to little space..had that problem ..another build for the same dude i built that Famo..a full interior in a Stryker ...but here was the issue..the model was from trumpeter and the interior kit was for a AFV Club Stryker..i had quite a few parts left over ..there was no way all those bits were going to fit and guess what ? ..they didnt  :lol:

I understand your airbrush problems, i've been using acrylic lacquer based paints like Tamiya, Mr. Hobby and Hataka ever since i got back into modelling because i read lots of comments of people complaining of the same issues you had and also the smell and fumes which are very harmful for our lungs. I guess it scared me a bit, and i decided to go with acrylics. I've got a bunch of Revell enamel colors of which i only used one color to brush paint(it was one of the first models i built when i got back to modelling and i didn't have an airbrush/compressor setup then) an Airfix Mitsubishi Zero without using thinner... you can imagine how that came out. :banghead:
I normally use the cheap one i have although i have an H&S Evolution CR plus with a 0.2mm nozzle but i'm trying to take the most out of the cheap one until it stops working properly.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the missiles, the're 1/48 so i hope i'm able to do it without breaking anything in the process. I'll use that tube method for sure. :thumbsup:
The problem with that Airwaves PE set was that it was supposedly designed for the Monogram kit and that's why i bought it so, i was really disappointed. I tried to sand the fuselage halves on the inside to make some more room for the cockpit tub to fit in there but it was still too big. I only managed to use a few of the bits from that set so i swore i'd never buy PE parts from that brand again.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

I can promise you this Zen mate i will get my hands on a bloody good air brush one way or another..the cheap brands work quite well really but when you need that finer touch the high end jobs work better..smoother trigger and much higher quality components .
There is a Iwata brush in my future matey  ;D
I like what i picked up yesterday..a revell 1/87th Big Boy Locomotive..always wanted one and ok its been started but when im done with it its gonna look ten times better and the airbrush is going to get a workout for sure.
Considering ive never been a train guy ive always wanted a model of the big boy..i do love bloody great big machines and this thing counts and with the price of a big boy in HO scale being over a grand here a plastic model was the way to go..now i got one and for 25 bucks too.
Oh one thing i did forget to tell ya about the tube trick is use a metal tube..brass or alloy..there can be enough residual heat to slightly soften plastic and plastic is to soft anyway..wont be a problem finding metal tubing the size you need .
Ya know when i have a resin conversion set to use i will move hell and high water to make it fit or use the best bits mixed with plastic parts to get what i want..i got a Verlinden A-10 Thunderbolt upgrade set and even if it didnt fit the model its for ..it would when im done  :lol:
One thing about the cheap and nasty world of after market sets for our models is there great for dioramas ..ya know as rubbish and debris .
I had a revell man 8x8 and all the tires were absolutely buggered..warpped and twisted ..now i have 8 tires for debris and at least 2 already have a place for a resident evil dio im gonna build..the vehicle is nearly built
..i only started it 3 yrs ago  :o  :lol:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Wooksta!

The Whirlybird parcel arrived today and contained:

2x Shorts SB5, the testbed for the Lightning tail and wings have. It didn't have the T tail option, but I have the Hygate plans and they're not difficult to do.

2x Supermarine 525. One is going RAF as they were looking at it.  I may have to get another to try the swept 508.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Received from Freightdog today

2 x 1/72 Hawker P.1101 conversion sets  :thumbsup:

I would have bought more but he was out of stock of the Supersonic Hunter and COD Dominie sets.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

Now I  can post again   no thanks to my previous  Internet supplier,  I  have a few kits but not that many New to me since I  got cut off.
Revell  Arado 234 c3 and e381
Revell BV P-194
Revell  Messerschmit P1099B
Dragon  Arado AR 234P
Bronco BV P 178 Dive Bomber
Bronco  BV P 178 Bomber interceptor
Glencoe  Bristol Sycamore
Micro Mir sNcaso Dever
Micro Mir sNcaso so 9050 Trident II
Anigrand   Lockheed  xf-90
Matchbox meteor  nf11/12/14. It was very cheap and still sealed in film
Testers xf-92 Dart
Amodel Alexeyev  I-211
Azur MD-311 Flamant
All 1/72nd scale,  and will be RAF.
It's food to be back instead of  watching  through the window
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Wardukw

Good to see it was only a few Chris mate  :lol:
Dont want to go and over do it  ;D
Oh bloody nice scores too .
For me  a 48th Eduard XIII Spad turned yp in the mail today..great looking model but hell its small  :thumbsup:
This for me wilk be a challenge.

PR19_Kit

Good to see you back Chris, we were wondering.............  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2022, 02:57:22 PM
Good to see you back Chris, we were wondering.............  :thumbsup:
I initially  thought that I had been  banned from posting for some reason,  but then why wasn't I  notified,  I  messaged  NARSES2/Chris  and no reply. I  managed  to speak to David  63pce, and told him about the quandary,  he replied  back which  was good,  then it went  quiet  again.  I  haven't  built much to be honest,  as I  have been ill since August and still not quite for over it if at all I will. I have some builds that are finished  and I will  post them when I get chance.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 19, 2022, 08:04:17 PM
I can promise you this Zen mate i will get my hands on a bloody good air brush one way or another..the cheap brands work quite well really but when you need that finer touch the high end jobs work better..smoother trigger and much higher quality components .
There is a Iwata brush in my future matey  ;D
I like what i picked up yesterday..a revell 1/87th Big Boy Locomotive..always wanted one and ok its been started but when im done with it its gonna look ten times better and the airbrush is going to get a workout for sure.
Considering ive never been a train guy ive always wanted a model of the big boy..i do love bloody great big machines and this thing counts and with the price of a big boy in HO scale being over a grand here a plastic model was the way to go..now i got one and for 25 bucks too.
Oh one thing i did forget to tell ya about the tube trick is use a metal tube..brass or alloy..there can be enough residual heat to slightly soften plastic and plastic is to soft anyway..wont be a problem finding metal tubing the size you need .
Ya know when i have a resin conversion set to use i will move hell and high water to make it fit or use the best bits mixed with plastic parts to get what i want..i got a Verlinden A-10 Thunderbolt upgrade set and even if it didnt fit the model its for ..it would when im done  :lol:
One thing about the cheap and nasty world of after market sets for our models is there great for dioramas ..ya know as rubbish and debris .
I had a revell man 8x8 and all the tires were absolutely buggered..warpped and twisted ..now i have 8 tires for debris and at least 2 already have a place for a resident evil dio im gonna build..the vehicle is nearly built
..i only started it 3 yrs ago  :o  :lol:

Well, thanks once again for the tips on the resin stuff, i will certainly use them when the time comes to fix that mess.  :thumbsup:

Re airbrushes, yeah, i agree. A good quality airbrush makes a big difference in the way you work, at least i felt a pretty substancial diference when i started using the H&S. I'd like to get another good one that comes with a trigger action adjuster like the H&S Evolution has. That is also one thing i like in the cheap ones, they have that screw and i really like it, helps to spray smaller and finer detail when you can limit the trigger's action.

'Now, back to modelling, today i've received the last of 2021 Xmas shopping spree, the Bilek Su-17... I had no idea of the size of this beast, only today did i get to look at the sprues and i was surprised. :o

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Your welcome Zen mate   ;D
That Su17 is alot bigger than you might think just looking at pic..i had the total opposite when i got my 48th Spad this morning..bloody hell its small man..this is going to take some very careful air brushing ..ill soon find out how good i am and my air brush as well  :o

McColm

The Heller 1/72 Lockheed EC-121 Warning Star