My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

From Uncle Frank:
Hasegawa MiG 27 Flogger
Hasegawa AMD Mirage F1
Both are donor kits for a potential BAC Type 584 bodge.

Won on eBay
A&V Armstrong Whitworth AW.52 - PR version, I think.
Contrail Scimitar.  For the proposed RAF strike version.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Steel Penguin

went into parrabellum
2 pots of Tamiya gun metal

a ryefield 1:35 Sherman firefly
and a Tamiya 1:35 M113 fire support apc...  wanted one since I first say it in the Tamiya catalogue back in the 80s
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 09, 2022, 12:33:43 AM
Bought a Mistercraft 1:72 Saab J35 Draken (boxed as "Finnish markings") from ev!lbay. It's the abysmal vintage Revell kit, but has the following benefits:
a) dead cheap, but you get what you pay for... (see below  :rolleyes:)
b) comes with optional photo recce/laser range finder (Danish) nose
c) instructions contain infomation about the only Swedish Draken that wore "Fields & Meadows" (Viggen splinter) camouflage, plus decals.

The latter information will probably be used to create a whiffy J 35 G from this kit (or from a Hasegawa model which I have in store somewhere, too), with the respective paint scheme. The Gustav was a dedicated attack variant for the Swedish air force that was never realized. :wacko: Just have to check how terrible this kit reincarnation actually is; I have the same old Revell kit re-boxed by Accura, and this one has very nice re-scribed panel lines instead of the original raised surface details. It still needs lots of work on cockpit and landing gear, though, but as whiffing fodder it should be fine.

The Mistercraft Draken arrived and it is 1:1 the old Revell kit with raised (yet very fine) panel lines. The Akkura kit is apparently the better option, but it's sold old. Quite disturbing: both kits use the same manilpulated box art on the cover, one with a grey Swedish J35F, the other with a Finnish F-35 as motif.  :o

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 12, 2022, 12:22:28 AM
Bought a Mistercraft 1:72 Saab J35 Draken (boxed as "Finnish markings") from ev!lbay. It's the abysmal vintage Revell kit, but has the following benefits:
c) instructions contain infomation about the only Swedish Draken that wore "Fields & Meadows" (Viggen splinter) camouflage, plus decals.

The latter information will probably be used to create a whiffy J 35 G from this kit (or from a Hasegawa model which I have in store somewhere, too), with the respective paint scheme. The Gustav was a dedicated attack variant for the Swedish air force that was never realized. :wacko: Just have to check how terrible this kit reincarnation actually is; I have the same old Revell kit re-boxed by Accura, and this one has very nice re-scribed panel lines instead of the original raised surface details. It still needs lots of work on cockpit and landing gear, though, but as whiffing fodder it should be fine.

The Mistercraft Draken arrived and it is 1:1 the old Revell kit with raised (yet very fine) panel lines. The Akkura kit is apparently the better option, but it's sold old. Quite disturbing: both kits use the same manilpulated box art on the cover, one with a grey Swedish J35F, the other with a Finnish F-35 as motif.  :o

Is that the (very) old short-tailed Draken? If so, it is the easiest way to build an early J35A from the first batch in service.
The main differences are the canopy (three-light, the later one is two-light only) and the much shorter afterburner. Also the vertical fin tip is different with the pitot set below the tip.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

chrisonord

Just arrived today,  2 pairs of 1/72nd scale  Bluewater missiles  from Alistair/ Gannett models. Very nice as per. 2 of these could get hung underneath my delta 3 as a strike version,  in service  during the  70's. Possibly a  pair of small canards  added to the Delta 3, and some up to date, for the 70's  avionics  and a pair of large drop tanks. Sidewinders could also be included,  and an IFR probe.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Bought in private sale today yesterday;

1 x Revell Bedford QL Gun Portee & 6-Pdr.-Gun (No. 03030)

And from Hobby Habit on Daws Road, Melrose Park, SA;

1 x Trumpeter 1/350 WW2 Liberty Ship S.S Jeremiah O'Brien (No. 05301)

And a couple of different sets of (mostly) British WW2 Jerry cans

(Images courtesy of ScaleMates)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Hell Guy you can still get the Portee? ..i had that kit decades ago and its not bad but man it does need work..you'll want to change the wheels tho..they are terrible but thats also the age of the kit.
The 6 pounder aint bad either but again very old ..gun shield is to thick but for a wiffy it'll do fine..with new wheels  ;D  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

These arrived yesterday...  :wub:
The Special Hobby 1/48 F2G came from Passion 132 in Belgium and the AZ pair came from ScaleModels 4 you from Poland via ebay.

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Quote from: DogfighterZen on February 12, 2022, 05:07:14 PM
These arrived yesterday...  :wub:
The Special Hobby 1/48 F2G came from Passion 132 in Belgium and the AZ pair came from ScaleModels 4 you from Poland via ebay.

I am officially jealous  ;D  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 12, 2022, 05:44:46 AM
Bought in private sale today yesterday;

1 x Revell Bedford QL Gun Portee & 6-Pdr.-Gun (No. 03030)

And from Hobby Habit on Daws Road, Melrose Park, SA;

1 x Trumpeter 1/350 WW2 Liberty Ship S.S Jeremiah O'Brien (No. 05301)

And a couple of different sets of (mostly) British WW2 Jerry cans

(Images courtesy of ScaleMates)

I'm pleased to see Hobby Habit is still going.  Mrs z's Aunty lives within walking distance so I like to take a constitutional whenever we visit.

I "built" the Portee as a kid (Airfix release).  Made a real mess of it IIRC.  Probly beyond my skills at the time TBH.  I remember thinking 1/35 was an odd scale as ail my larger toy soldiers were 1/32 Airfix (as was the Stalwart I wish I still had).  I don't remember the wheels.
I have another Airfix boxed example in the stash.  I shall have to examine them.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Spey_Phantom

placed another new online order:

-Revell 1/72 EC135 ANWB
-Revell 1/144 Boeing 737-800 "Air berlin"
-3 x Mini Hobby models 1/144 P-51D Mustang.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Wardukw

Fred i did remember one thing when you mentioned Airfix...mine was Italeri's verison ..so i do wonder if Revell's is better because in the early days Italeri always had bad plastic wheels ..fact come to think of it they still do  :lol:

Pellson

The two sets of DACO 1/144 German Starfighter decals I bought on your recommendation arrived last week. Looks absolutely great and will allow some elegant Luftwaffe whiffing of suddenly acquired post unification eastern aircraft. I might need more crosses and above all flags, but one thing at a time.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Pellson on February 12, 2022, 01:16:39 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 12, 2022, 12:22:28 AM

Is that the (very) old short-tailed Draken? If so, it is the easiest way to build an early J35A from the first batch in service.
The main differences are the canopy (three-light, the later one is two-light only) and the much shorter afterburner. Also the vertical fin tip is different with the pitot set below the tip.

No, it has the long tail. It's labelled as an F, but it contains the early, framed canopy. Strangely, the original Revell kit is supposed to come with a separate windscreen...?!? The Akkura kit also comes with the framed canopy that rather suggests a D instead of an F or J variant. As mentioned above, you have to do a lot of detail work to create something authentic from this model. OOB it's certainly no F or J, though.  :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Pellson on February 13, 2022, 02:24:02 PM
The two sets of DACO 1/144 German Starfighter decals I bought on your recommendation arrived last week. Looks absolutely great and will allow some elegant Luftwaffe whiffing of suddenly acquired post unification eastern aircraft. I might need more crosses and above all flags, but one thing at a time.

TL Modellbau from Germany does a nice sheet with generic modern German markings, including two sizes of flags. They also have a sheet with the typcial white-egded DIN numbers for tactical codes, probably just in the right size for 1:72 and 1:32 aircraft.

https://tl-modellbau.de/Bundeswehr-Luftwaffe-1-72

https://tl-modellbau.de/Bundeswehr-Luftwaffe-tFlugzeugkennungT-1-72