My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

Last night at the model club....

Takom 1/35 Sea Wolf GWS25 and Sea Dart GWS30

The missiles are massive, especially the Sea Dart.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on April 16, 2022, 02:08:09 AM

Sea Dart was a beast.  Buy five sets Trev, then you can mount them on a 1/35 Vulcan...  ;)
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Mount them on the back of a couple of 5 ton (or other logistics trucks) for a RN Regimental ADA dio. :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kerick

I spent some time and some money at the IPMS Roscoe Turner show and contest in Indianapolis, Indiana. I didn't enter anything but I should have. I probably would have cleaned up at the what if category. Tons of entries at an outstanding caliber of talent. I may take up knitting.

I didn't intend to buy much (famous last words!) but I brought home a Rareplanes vacuform U-2, $1; ESCI AV-8B Harrier II, $5; Monogram A-1E Skyraider, $5; Revell F-101B Voodoo, $10, and a small book on the B-58 Hustler, $3.75. Not bad for $24.75. All the kits were 1/72nd and had all the parts and instructions. The Voodoo will need decals but overall nice quality kits, even the U-2.

The Skyraider will sprout some floats and if I don't build the U-2 stock the wings will find themselves attached to an F-5B or T-38 for my poor man's strategic recon platform. Voodoo will be stock but maybe Canadian. That's the plan until it changes.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

A Rareplanes U-2 for $1?  :o

Aggghhhhhhh, the bargain of the century!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Ebay said I've snaffled that original Frog Proctor I was bidding on.  No prop, but as I'll be converting the Novo example I have to a twin engined one with some redundant DH Comet engines (need to find the one I have).  Want to do an RAF version of the thing that Dave did, although I may use the name Provost for the lolz.

Still like the idea of doing the same with a Chipmunk and a Magister.

Edit:  Found it after a reasonable search, and a Chipmunk to do that one too.  Just need to get a cheap Magister now.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

AeroplaneDriver

Kerick, that Revell Voodoo is a gorgeous kit. You did well there!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kerick

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on April 17, 2022, 12:16:58 PM

It sure is! I'm looking forward to building it. I'm thinking of decals for Texas ANG.

The U-2 will need a new canopy as it's turned yellow. And new decals too.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitnut617

I second that, I couldn't believe the quality of it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

Pretty much the 1/48th kit reduced to 1/72nd.  :wub:
Going to be a fun build.
Tophe the Wise

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on April 16, 2022, 09:09:18 AM

Sea Dart was a beast.  Buy five sets Trev, then you can mount them on a 1/35 Vulcan...  ;)

Be better on a Victor.  :thumbsup:

The Sea Wolf in 1/35 and you get six of them here has Anti Ship Missile potential on a suitable 1/72 a/c.

But, the Sea Wolf launcher being the same scale might look good on a MLRS vehicle in 35th and I have two of these launch vehicles to play with.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: kerick on April 17, 2022, 03:44:50 PM

It sure is! I'm looking forward to building it. I'm thinking of decals for Texas ANG.

It's so nice because it is a Monogram kit, a scaled-down 1:48 model (like many other great old Monogram offerings like the F-105 and the F-4).
Texas ANG markings from a Phantom work well on a Voodoo, too.  ;)

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kerick

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on April 18, 2022, 05:06:57 AM
Quote from: kerick on April 17, 2022, 03:44:50 PM

It's so nice because it is a Monogram kit, a scaled-down 1:48 model (like many other great old Monogram offerings like the F-105 and the F-4).
Texas ANG markings from a Phantom work well on a Voodoo, too.  ;)

I think it's Caracal that has Texas ANG with the William Tell competition markings for the F-101B. I'll buy them when I get closer to building it.
Tophe the Wise

Gondor

Quote from: kerick on April 18, 2022, 12:01:33 PM

I think it's Caracal that has Texas ANG with the William Tell competition markings for the F-101B. I'll buy them when I get closer to building it.

You are tempting fate by saying that. You have probably exponentially increased the chances that the decals you are thinking opf will be both out of production and out of stock at the same time as you decide to buy them. Buy them now and put them in the kit's box if there is room, if not enough room, put notes both inside the kit's box ond the decals saying what they are for.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....