My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 14, 2022, 02:40:39 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on September 13, 2022, 11:43:02 PM2x 3D printed RMK twin turbo LSX engines...these are for something special which i aint saying do do about  ;D

Ahh, go on, you KNOW you want to!  ;D

Hahaha ..nope sorry my good mate..im not saying anything about the quad turbo V16 im going to build....bugger!
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Yup ya did  ;D
Here i thought i was buildng a wiffy engine yet some dudes in the US already did build a LS based V16 but for marine use ..Zenrat found it.
Mine will still be a wiff as theres none of these engines in a car..so im still happy  :thumbsup:
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Wardukw

In the mail today..
1 x 36in roll of Green Stuff putty..all the way from Spain..kinda shows how easy it is to get stuff here.

sandiego89

Picked this up at Ollies Bargain center, an Oldie, but Goodie???

Re-pop of the Hawk Comet in 1/144, in the fondly remembered B.O.C.A airline livery....

Comes with passengers!

No wonder the Comets had structural issues with that huge rectangular opening on the fuselage...too soon? 

Comes with its own runway!

Have some nefarious plans for this one, but not for awhile

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Goodness KNOWS how long it's been since I saw one of those Comets!  :o  :o

I thought they were extinct.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 15, 2022, 02:42:08 PMGoodness KNOWS how long it's been since I saw one of those Comets!  :o  :o

I thought they were extinct.

The fineprint on the bottom of the instructions have a 2015 print date, and seem to indicate a rebox by round2models.com of the USA perhaps in association with International Hobbycraft UK.  Instructions also have reference to Lindberg and Hawk.

Scalemates family tree indicates perhaps a 2016 reboxing of the 1959 Lindberg. 

Perhaps you Mum and Dad served as models for the 1/144 passengers on one of their trips to one of the exotic B.O.C.A. destinations, with a young Kit in his short pants on their lap! 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hawk-hl512-havilland-comet-airliner--1279770/timeline

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Which Ollies was that? I might have to run over there!
Awesome find!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

Those B.O.C.A. markings make it an insta-Whiff. Add an H.I. and you could have BOHICA  ;D

(Bend Over Here It Comes Again  :o )

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on September 15, 2022, 03:36:50 PMPerhaps you Mum and Dad served as models for the 1/144 passengers on one of their trips to one of the exotic B.O.C.A. destinations, with a young Kit in his short pants on their lap! 

I should have been so lucky!

The nearest I got to a Comet was at Lyneham when 216 Sqdn. took over its first Comet C2s. They flew the first one low over the airfield before the landing and ceremonial 'hand over'. It seemed all a bit futuristic at the time.

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

just placed a new online order:

-Roden 1/144 Focke Wulf FW200V3/A-09 «Immelman III»
-Trumpeter 1/144 Kawanishi Type 97 Japanese Maritimce Reconnaissance
-Mistercraft 1/72 XFY-1 Pogo
-Blue rider decals 1/72 Belgian Army vehicles ww2
-Mr Modelmaker 1/72 F-16A "Comete" decals
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Old Wombat

I find it such a tragedy that De Havilland had to be the poor sods who got bitten by the harsh lessons learned with the Comet, it was the first of its kind &, possibly only in my opinion, best of the passenger aircraft of the era (after the issues were fixed), but the reputation had been born that they broke up in the air, & it's almost impossible to repair a damaged reputation (ask Boeing).

Every airliner on the drawing boards, at the time, had similar design issues*, until the Comet accident report came out & both Boeing & Douglas (privately) stated that if it hadn't been for Comet, it would have been them.

Quote from: WikipediaLegacy

The Comet is widely regarded as both an adventurous step forward and a supreme tragedy; the aircraft's legacy includes advances in aircraft design and in accident investigations. The inquiries into the accidents that plagued the Comet 1 were perhaps some of the most extensive and revolutionary that have ever taken place, establishing precedents in accident investigation; many of the deep-sea salvage and aircraft reconstruction techniques employed have remained in use within the aviation industry. In spite of the Comet being subjected to what was then the most rigorous testing of any contemporary airliner, pressurisation and the dynamic stresses involved were not thoroughly understood at the time of the aircraft's development, nor was the concept of metal fatigue. Though these lessons could be implemented on the drawing board for future aircraft, corrections could only be retroactively applied to the Comet.

According to de Havilland's chief test pilot John Cunningham, who had flown the prototype's first flight, representatives from American manufacturers such as Boeing and Douglas privately disclosed that if de Havilland had not experienced the Comet's pressurisation problems first, it would have happened to them. Cunningham likened the Comet to the later Concorde and added that he had assumed that the aircraft would change aviation, which it subsequently did. Aviation author Bill Withuhn concluded that the Comet had pushed "'the state-of-the-art' beyond its limits."

Aeronautical-engineering firms were quick to respond to the Comet's commercial advantages and technical flaws alike; other aircraft manufacturers learned from, and profited by, the hard-earned lessons embodied by de Havilland's Comet. The Comet's buried engines were used on some other early jet airliners, such as the Tupolev Tu-104, but later aircraft, such as the Boeing 707 and Douglas DC-8, differed by employing podded engines held on pylons beneath the wings. Boeing stated that podded engines were selected for their passenger airliners because buried engines carried a higher risk of catastrophic wing failure in the event of engine fire. In response to the Comet tragedies, manufacturers also developed ways of pressurisation testing, often going so far as to explore rapid depressurisation; subsequent fuselage skins were of a greater thickness than the skin of the Comet.

[*: The square windows weren't the only issue found in the investigations into the crashes of this, riveting methods & the gauge of metal used also played a major part.]
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

The later Comet 4s (and 4As and Cs) were very good and capable aircraft, and stayed in service for many years, if not in the front line.

And people keep forgetting (especially Boeing...) that the Comet 4 inaugurated trans-Atlantic passenger flights. 

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Just ordered this from ebay, now I need to locate a 1/72 Vampire or Venom. You can probably guess where this is going.  ;D

Box art by Dave Bailey, on Flickr
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 16, 2022, 05:56:05 AMThe later Comet 4s (and 4As and Cs) were very good and capable aircraft, and stayed in service for many years, if not in the front line.

And people keep forgetting (especially Boeing...) that the Comet 4 inaugurated trans-Atlantic passenger flights. 

Boeing would wouldn't they  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....