My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2022, 10:18:28 AMJust found out that I need the -5 version to do a Mk.II

Couldn't you just putty in and paint over the small windows behind the sliding canopy part? Or was there more to the difference in versions than that?

Old Wombat

F6F-3 (British designation Gannet F. Mk. I, and then later, renamed Hellcat F. Mk. I, January 1944)
    Single-seat fighter, fighter-bomber aircraft, powered by a 2,000 hp (1,491 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10 Double Wasp radial piston engine.

F6F-5 Hellcat (British Hellcat F. Mk. II)
    Improved version, with a redesigned engine cowling, a new windscreen structure with an integral bulletproof windscreen, new ailerons and strengthened tail surfaces; powered by a 2,200 hp (1,641 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10W (-W denotes Water Injection) radial piston engine.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 23, 2022, 07:04:31 PM
Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2022, 10:18:28 AMJust found out that I need the -5 version to do a Mk.II

Couldn't you just putty in and paint over the small windows behind the sliding canopy part? Or was there more to the difference in versions than that?

Just as easy to get a new kit partly because the instructions for the eduard kit show different sprues being used, also means I can whiff the -3, thinnking Dutch at the moment.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Nick

Arrived from Lowestoft today, a stiff envelope containing XtraDecal sheet X72324.

SAAF Fighters/Attack Aircraft - Postwar to Modern Day. Lots of eagles and springboks in castles...  ;D

Howard of Effingham

Keeper of George the Cat.

Old Wombat

Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2022, 11:46:23 PM

Just as easy to get a new kit partly because the instructions for the eduard kit show different sprues being used, also means I can whiff the -3, thinnking Dutch at the moment.

Gondor
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 23, 2022, 08:56:35 PMF6F-3 (British designation Gannet F. Mk. I, and then later, renamed Hellcat F. Mk. I, January 1944)
    Single-seat fighter, fighter-bomber aircraft, powered by a 2,000 hp (1,491 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10 Double Wasp radial piston engine.

Improved version, with a redesigned engine cowling, a new windscreen structure with an integral bulletproof windscreen, new ailerons and strengthened tail surfaces; powered by a 2,200 hp (1,641 kW) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-10W (-W denotes Water Injection) radial piston engine.

Rick, the redesigned cowling & the windscreen are noticeably different, the tail surfaces less so but some small differences appear to be visible on close inspection of some images.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 24, 2022, 10:55:35 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 23, 2022, 11:46:23 PM

Gondor
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 23, 2022, 08:56:35 PMF6F-3 (British designation Gannet F. Mk. I, and then later, renamed Hellcat F. Mk. I, January 1944)

Rick, the redesigned cowling & the windscreen are noticeably different, the tail surfaces less so but some small differences appear to be visible on close inspection of some images.

Ah, my mistake - I stand (sit  ;) ) corrected.

In my defence, I am often a lazy modeller and try to think of an easy and cheap fix first... though not always the most accurate one!  ;D

Old Wombat

To be completely honest, mate, I don't think the difference between the sub-types was all that clear cut, anyway.

In my research I saw period photo's of -3's with -5 features & -5's with -3 features. Things like -5 cowlings & windscreens but with windows behind the cockpit or -3 cowlings, -5 windscreens & with/without windows behind the cockpit.

I'm sure many of the changes were evolutionary & I'm pretty sure that unfinished -3 airframes would have been strengthened before being skinned & had the armoured windscreen canopies fitted rather than waste production capacity waiting for completely new -5 airframes to come through the system.

I think the -5 sub-type had more to do with consolidating those evolutionary changes with the more significant engine change.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on September 24, 2022, 07:38:37 PMTo be completely honest, mate, I don't think the difference between the sub-types was all that clear cut, anyway.

In my research I saw period photo's of -3's with -5 features & -5's with -3 features. Things like -5 cowlings & windscreens but with windows behind the cockpit or -3 cowlings, -5 windscreens & with/without windows behind the cockpit.

I'm sure many of the changes were evolutionary & I'm pretty sure that unfinished -3 airframes would have been strengthened before being skinned & had the armoured windscreen canopies fitted rather than waste production capacity waiting for completely new -5 airframes to come through the system.

I think the -5 sub-type had more to do with consolidating those evolutionary changes with the more significant engine change.

Very likely - get them built and into the Fleet, never mind all the latest bells and whistles; good enough now is better than perfect next week.

Gondor

Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 25, 2022, 01:42:33 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on September 24, 2022, 07:38:37 PMTo be completely honest, mate, I don't think the difference between the sub-types was all that clear cut, anyway.

Very likely - get them built and into the Fleet, never mind all the latest bells and whistles; good enough now is better than perfect next week.
Ptobably a case of finnish off using all the old stock of parts before moveing onto new parts or a case of the new parts don't arrive for everything at the same time. Happens at my work all the time when parts get changed/upgraded, normally we still have old stock and so do our suppliers.

I have a -5 and decals on order now and some decals the whiff the second -3 so I am happy, relativly that is  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Gondor on September 25, 2022, 03:05:12 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on September 25, 2022, 01:42:33 AM

Ptobably a case of finnish off using all the old stock of parts before moveing onto new parts or a case of the new parts don't arrive for everything at the same time.

True that, too.

McColm

Just won on Ebay the Matchbox HP Victor K2
Arrived this morning on the 11th October 2022

The Wooksta!

Came back from Scale Scotland with nowt but two books and three rolls of Tamiya tape. Ltd of nice stuff, but nothing I can't get from Uncle Frank at a cheaper price.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

I'm taking a bit of a gamble on four broken R/C 4x4 1/24 scale cars. Two monster trucks and two Range Rover Sports . I'm not at this stage to get them working but more of bling or whiffing.
Arrived this morning;
Two monster trucks in playworn condition, the third has its two front tyres detached.
Two Range Rover Sport, one looks as though someone has tried to remove the bodyshell but failed.

Gondor

From the BIG yellow H today and just 36pence over the free postage line  ;D

1 x 1/72 eduard GHrumman F6F-5N (EDK7434) to become a RN Hellcat Mk.II

1 x 1/48 eduard Hawker Tempest Mk.II Late version (EDK82125) because this boxing has markings for Operation Firedog

1 x 1/72 Mikoyan MiG-29A 'Fulcrum' (TU01674) Real world Bangladeshi I am thinking

1 x 1/72 AZ Model Messerschmitt Bf-109G-14/AS "Reich Defence" (AZM7657)

1 x 1/72 Xtradecal Yanks With Roundels Pt2 (X72141)

1 x 1/72 Xtradecal Yanks With Roundels Pt3 (X72142)

Gondor