My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 18, 2022, 05:36:51 PMI've built the 1/72 F-35A, which is probably one of their most recent 1/72 kits and although it's not a bad kit, i'd say it's typical italeri with soft detail on some parts, fading ram panels on the bottom fuselage, ejector pin marks on awkward places, some fit issues with the fuselage halves and canopy, and overall detail is a bit simplified... but still, i think it's the cheapest 1/72 F-35 kit on the market. I say this after having compared it to the 1/72 Academy, Hasegawa's A variant and Orange Hobby's C variant i have in the stash.

Thanks for the info  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 18, 2022, 05:36:51 PMI've built the 1/72 F-35A, which is probably one of their most recent 1/72 kits and although it's not a bad kit, i'd say it's typical italeri with soft detail on some parts, fading ram panels on the bottom fuselage, ejector pin marks on awkward places, some fit issues with the fuselage halves and canopy, and overall detail is a bit simplified... but still, i think it's the cheapest 1/72 F-35 kit on the market. I say this after having compared it to the 1/72 Academy, Hasegawa's A variant and Orange Hobby's C variant i have in the stash.

So what is the Orange Hobby C variant like?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Wardukw

In the mail today...
1 x 1/48th Eduard Profipack MiG 21 BIS and holy crap pickles..this is a awesome kit but I did find one thing which made a certain part of my anatomy pucker.
The second decal sheet..the stencil sheet...glup!!!
I'm not kidding there's hundreds of decals on this sheet and I'm scared  :lol:
This will be from Finland ..I think. ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on October 19, 2022, 06:53:50 PMI'm not kidding there's hundreds of decals on this sheet and I'm scared  :lol:
This will be from Finland ..I think. ;D

Not sure what language the stencils are in but the Finn's wouldn't use Cyrillic, nor would many others. Therefore maybe the stencils are in multiple languages ? Just trying to be helpful  ;) 
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 19, 2022, 05:23:25 AM

Just read yesterday that the Tamiya 1/72 kit is a re-boxed Italeri one. Shame as I fancied one for some reason.

Wardukw

Chris from what I can see using my most powerful magnifying glass it doesn't look like there's a single russian word in the stencil data sheet.
One thing might be is that there's no russian plane choice with this model.
You get Finland..India..Poland..Hungary and Croatia..
Either way I think it would look good with them on but trust me ..that decision is not set in stone  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 20, 2022, 12:02:19 AM

Just read yesterday that the Tamiya 1/72 kit is a re-boxed Italeri one. Shame as I fancied one for some reason.

I'm surprised that Tamiya did that, the Italeri F-35 kits are just swamped with way overscale panel tape lines which have to come off. Even the thickness of decals would be overscale from looking at the F-35B I saw and photographed down in Yuma.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 19, 2022, 02:01:14 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 18, 2022, 05:36:51 PM

I have one of these in The Stash, too, with the plan to give it an NMF livery with bright late WWII PTO markings (probably from a real Mustang). My kit also has a rather clumsy spinner, and I think a P-51 spinner/prop will be a good alternative. Quickboost does nice resin props for the P-51 with various blade variants, including the cuffless post-war blades. For a canopy alternative, there are nice 1:72 vacu pieces for the P-47 and the F8F around that should work well on the P-40Q, too. A Spitfire bubble canopy should also be a suitable contender.

Yeah, P-51 is my first choice for prop/spinner combo but i'm still considering several options for both of those and the canopy. Maybe this weekend i have time to test a few of them from the stash.
I did buy a Quickboost 1/48 spitfire 5 blade prop for similar ideas for the bigger kits.
Thanks for the ideas, Dizzy. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Yeah, Chris, the Tamiya 1/72 F-35 kits are Italeri molds. They have quite a few like that in this scale.

Gondor, the OH F-35C kit is, IMO, similar to the Academy kit as it has the over scale raised RAM tape detail but at least it's cleanly done and it's not as pronounced as on the Italeri kit.
Overall, i think it's good quality but it's also a bit on the expensive side.
Kitnut, i think the best option for 1/72 F-35 kits is Hasegawa, cause they provide decals for the tape but that itself can cause other problems like paint color matches and stuff related to setting solutions,etc.
Still, it's a smooth surface kit with engraved detail over which the decals are applied. It's probably the closest in this scale, isn't it?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 20, 2022, 07:53:08 AMYeah, P-51 is my first choice for prop/spinner combo but i'm still considering several options for both of those and the canopy. Maybe this weekend i have time to test a few of them from the stash.
I did buy a Quickboost 1/48 spitfire 5 blade prop for similar ideas for the bigger kits.

A late Spitfire prop should work on the P-40Q, too (thinking of a Griffon-esque 5-blade or even 6-blade contraprop...  :rolleyes: ), and they'd be a bit more pointed than a Mustang's spinner?

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 20, 2022, 08:12:45 AMGondor, the OH F-35C kit is, IMO, similar to the Academy kit as it has the over scale raised RAM tape detail but at least it's cleanly done and it's not as pronounced as on the Italeri kit.

About the only C variant available in 1/72 as far as I know though.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 20, 2022, 08:21:33 AM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on October 20, 2022, 07:53:08 AMYeah, P-51 is my first choice for prop/spinner combo but i'm still considering several options for both of those and the canopy. Maybe this weekend i have time to test a few of them from the stash.

A late Spitfire prop should work on the P-40Q, too (thinking of a Griffon-esque 5-blade or even 6-blade contraprop...  :rolleyes: ), and they'd be a bit more pointed than a Mustang's spinner?

A Griffon prop won't work on a Merlin - rotates in the opposite direction.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

from the ebay fairy and dumped into a hedge by the postie  :banghead:

1 x 1/72 eduard Bf110G-2 Weekend Edition 7421. To be real world though not necessarily in the markings provided.

Gondor

Spey_Phantom

new order placed:

-Revell 1/72 Boeing PT-13D Kaydet (to be painted in Belgian pre-war colors)
-Revell 1/144 Sepecat Jaguar
-Revell 1/144 Sea Harrier FRS.1
-Matchbox 1/72 SA365 Dauphin
-Airfix 1/72 Bristol Bulldog
-Hasegawa 1/144 Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Hei Toryu (Nick)
-Hasegawa 1/144 Kugisho P1Y1 Ginga (Francis)
-Hasegawa 1/144 Mitsubishi G4M1 (Betty)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

jcf

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 20, 2022, 07:14:32 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 20, 2022, 12:02:19 AM

I'm surprised that Tamiya did that, the Italeri F-35 kits are just swamped with way overscale panel tape lines which have to come off. Even the thickness of decals would be overscale from looking at the F-35B I saw and photographed down in Yuma.
Tamiya has been reboxing Italeri kits for decades. Originally it was only for the Japanese home market, it reduced the cost for Japanese modellers when compared to importation. The advent of easy internet sales led to them being available to modellers outside of Japan, so Tamiya went ahead and started selling them as part of their regular line. The boxes have always been clearly marked as being Italeri kits.