My stash just grew again. (2022)

Started by seadude, December 30, 2021, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wooksta!

IIRC, the XF8 had an internal bay capable of carrying 2,000 lbs of bombs.valom give you some resin drop tanks, so I'd stick with the long range fighter role and leave the mud moving to the aircraft designed to it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 05, 2022, 02:32:19 PMIIRC, the XF8 had an internal bay capable of carrying 2,000 lbs of bombs.valom give you some resin drop tanks, so I'd stick with the long range fighter role and leave the mud moving to the aircraft designed to it.

I think you're right, Lee. Although it does have the wings to carry lots of stuff, it was primarily designed as a fighter so, that's what mine will be. :thumbsup:
Yep, it did have the bomb bay but i've read that there were problems with the doors closing too soon after bomb release and the result was that the doors were hitting the bombs' fins but, i'd say it's just something that would've been easily corrected if more R&D had been done. The P&W R-4360 also had it's issues and that was also a problem for the F2G Corsair.
Both the USN and USAAF found the XF8 to be more adequate for the attack role than long range fighter but i still think that with some more R&D, the heavy aileron control and weak brakes would've been a simple issues to solve and with engine problems solved, i believe it would've been a great fighter.
Besides, i chose Dogfighter and not Mud Mover for my nickname so, i guess that says something...  ;)
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

Ok, second round of deliveries of Xmas shopping... :wacko:

From Superhobby in Poland, the Special Hobby 1/72 Spitfire Mk.24, which will be donating one canopy, cannon barrels and some other bits for other kits.
With the kit, i bought some Eduard 1/48 Aussie Spitfire decals with a couple of mouths full of teeth. One of them will be used on my Airfix 1/48 Spitfire 22/24 and the other will be for a Mustang, just not sure if it'll be the D or the H. :rolleyes:

From the Portuguese shop, Warkit, the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury... Not much to say about this other than i just couldn't resist that big, beautifully fat nose... Excellent kit of a beautiful plane so, what more can one ask for?   ;D

Tomorrow there's another box coming from another Portuguese shop, BigCat. This is an Academy 1/48 P-47N.
Probably next Monday, there's a PM 1/72 Sea Fury. Probably to be built OOB but if i change my mind, it'll surely donate the prop and a few other bits for different projects.
Another one to be delivered next Monday is also from Superhobby, this one containing a Hasegawa 1/72 Weapons set V-US missiles and launchers and also, the Hobbyboss 1/48 F8F-2 Bearcat... :wub:
And once again, i was weak and threw the "I'm done buying kits!" speech out the window... but this time i have an excuse! It's Xmas shopping... That works, right? :unsure:  :rolleyes:  ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Rick Lowe

Much like Christmas Calories, IMHO Christmas Stash Increases don't -  or shouldn't - count. :rolleyes:

Wardukw

I'm gonna use Zens excuse for the two Trumpeter SA-2 guideline missiles I just brought  ;D
One I got from Trademe auction site here in NZ and the other from Trumpeter itself ....I have ideas gents..more ideas  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 05, 2022, 10:48:40 PMMuch like Christmas Calories, IMHO Christmas Stash Increases don't -  or shouldn't - count. :rolleyes:

Agreed 100%.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on December 06, 2022, 12:50:00 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 05, 2022, 10:48:40 PMMuch like Christmas Calories, IMHO Christmas Stash Increases don't -  or shouldn't - count. :rolleyes:

Agreed 100%.

I always take the view that since model websites inevitably describe their products as 'Ideal Christmas Presents', but nobody in my present-buying circle will ever see that description, it's up to me and me alone to make the world a little bit more ideal...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

DogfighterZen

Like Nick, i also agree with these words 100%!  :mellow:

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 06, 2022, 12:34:26 AMI'm gonna use Zens excuse for the two Trumpeter SA-2 guideline missiles I just brought  ;D
One I got from Trademe auction site here in NZ and the other from Trumpeter itself ....I have ideas gents..more ideas  :wacko:

Weaver

From Colin at Freightdog Models: 1/72nd scale MUSTARD Lifting-Body Glider  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

On a trip to my LHS (20 miles from home....) to replenish supplies of various glues, I espied an Ace Design 1/72 Stalwart kit on the shelf.  Long time readers might remember that I bought a Stalwart kit at a Telford Show some years ago, in order to tow my Martin Monterey and its complex beaching trolley onto land, but some ratbag stole the kit off the SIG stand before I'd even opened it!  :banghead:

So now I've got a replacement.  :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if this is the same plastic as the ones they were selling at Telford? I've forgotten the name of the vendor but he was always dressed very smartly and he died a year or so ago.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 08:22:03 AMOn a trip to my LHS (20 miles from home....) to replenish supplies of various glues, I espied an Ace Design 1/72 Stalwart kit on the shelf.  Long time readers might remember that I bought a Stalwart kit at a Telford Show some years ago, in order to tow my Martin Monterey and its complex beaching trolley onto land, but some ratbag stole the kit off the SIG stand before I'd even opened it!  :banghead:

Does anyone know if this is the same plastic as the ones they were selling at Telford? I've forgotten the name of the vendor but he was always dressed very smartly and he died a year or so ago.

That would be Mel Bromley of S&M Models.   If you put up a pic of the sprues I can compare it with my kit.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 08:22:03 AMOn a trip to my LHS (20 miles from home....) to replenish supplies of various glues, I espied an Ace Design 1/72 Stalwart kit on the shelf.  Long time readers might remember that I bought a Stalwart kit at a Telford Show some years ago, in order to tow my Martin Monterey and its complex beaching trolley onto land, but some ratbag stole the kit off the SIG stand before I'd even opened it!  :banghead:

That was five years ago as it was the last time I was at Telford, should be there next year again, got the hotel booked already.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 10:34:18 AMThat would be Mel Bromley of S&M Models.   If you put up a pic of the sprues I can compare it with my kit.

You're absolutely right Nick, that is indeed who it was.  :thumbsup:

Here's the sprues, there's a LOT of teeny-weeny bits on them!

You cannot view this attachment.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 11:30:08 AM
Quote from: Nick on December 06, 2022, 10:34:18 AMThat would be Mel Bromley of S&M Models.   If you put up a pic of the sprues I can compare it with my kit.

I had my hands on my Stalwart kits last week... can I find them now? NOPE!

But I am sure that S&M and ACE are two different products. For starters SM didn't have rubber wheels or etch. And I reckon there are only 2 large sprues in the SM kit.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 06, 2022, 11:30:08 AM

Just had a look at my S&M Models Stolly and it's definitely different. The S&M one DOES have a small fret of etch, but it has plastic two-piece wheels and all-clear plastic cab walls rather that grey wall and separate windows.

Funnily enough, the LHS where I bought my Orljornok also had some of those Takom two-in-a-box kits with either two Chieftains or a Chieftain and a FV432. I was looking at the FV432 molding and reflecting on one of the last conversations I had with Mel, when I told him he'd made a mistake by not making his FV432's big roof hatch as a separate piece (Takom have done that).

- Indiana Jones