Mike McEvoy Tribute Build Thread

Started by NARSES2, December 31, 2021, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be the Board for your Mike McEvoy tribute builds.

No rules as such, build what you want simply as a tribute to, or in memoriam of Mike.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Freightdog862

Just back from Mike's funeral, sad as always but the highlighting of Mike's achievements was nice, there was more to him than modelling, although to me he will be my modelling hero. Here is a picture from the wake of some of Mike's models arranged by Dominic. I think the photo behind represents three generations of McEvoy in uniform (I didn't ask, but the middle is Mike, the one on the right is Dominic);

Look forward to seeing more entries in the tribute build.

Colin

The Rat

Never met him, but he seems like the sort of person that everyone should meet. And if that's the old Airfix Hunter F.6 on the table, I'm humbled to say that I'm building that exact kit in tribute, primer is already on.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Can't see the pics I'm afraid Colin, just a big 'Minus' sign in the middle of the page.

I tried to to join in via the Zoom link, but the connection wouldn't hook up, so that was sad. It does say that it can be seen later though so I'll try again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Freightdog862

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 06, 2022, 11:36:49 AM
Can't see the pics I'm afraid Colin, just a big 'Minus' sign in the middle of the page.

I tried to to join in via the Zoom link, but the connection wouldn't hook up, so that was sad. It does say that it can be seen later though so I'll try again.

I've emailed you a copy of the picture, sorry you couldn't join. There were some IT issues at the crematorium, a slide show also couldn't be shown. Good news in at Dominic hopes to keep the GOM website going, and will be uploading the pictures from Mike's youth on there.

Colin

PR19_Kit

Thanks for that Colin, that's very good of you.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Strange, I could see the picture when I first came to this thread, but now it's gone.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Sorry for the loss. It would be great to see the photo tho
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

I'll copy post it, hope that's OK Colin.

Strewth, it's HUGE!  :o

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 06, 2022, 03:52:08 PM
I'll copy post it, hope that's OK Colin.

Strewth, it's HUGE!  :o

The width setting in img is your friend...

Nice to see this, modelling was huge part of his life and he meant so much to so many in our world. Good job.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Thanks for posting that gents  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I raised a glass yesterday to someone I regarded as one of Life's Gentlemen and who I was exceptionally grateful to have known  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 07, 2022, 06:12:15 AM

I raised a glass yesterday to someone I regarded as one of Life's Gentlemen and who I was exceptionally grateful to have known  :thumbsup:

110% with you there Chris, I miss Mike so much, and I expect I always will. A true friend.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Been musing a bit on what to build and have been looking into 67 Squadron. They spent most, if not all of their service, overseas. Formed and spent WWI in the Middle East, various BE types then Bristol Fighters and RE 8's. Stood down in 1918 and after reforming on Buffalo's in the Far East spent WWII there, Hurricane IIb, IIc and Spitfire Mk VIII. Stood down again and then reformed in Germany on Vampires, then Sabre Mk 4's then Hunters before being stood down for a final time.

Now the problem with post WWII aircraft is the squadron bars, which whilst attractive are beyond me when it comes to portraying them, so one thought I had goes out the window. I was going to leave them in the Far East and give them Vampire FB 9's. So I'll stick to WWII or just after and may well do a Real World Hurricane IIB, followed by either a What If Spitfire FR 14 or Tempest II if the KP kit comes out in time.

I'd love to have done a real Hunter, but it's those bars ?

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2022, 06:19:44 AM
Been musing a bit on what to build and have been looking into 67 Squadron. They spent most, if not all of their service, overseas. Formed and spent WWI in the Middle East, various BE types then Bristol Fighters and RE 8's. Stood down in 1918 and after reforming on Buffalo's in the Far East spent WWII there, Hurricane IIb, IIc and Spitfire Mk VIII. Stood down again and then reformed in Germany on Vampires, then Sabre Mk 4's then Hunters before being stood down for a final time.

Now the problem with post WWII aircraft is the squadron bars, which whilst attractive are beyond me when it comes to portraying them, so one thought I had goes out the window. I was going to leave them in the Far East and give them Vampire FB 9's. So I'll stick to WWII or just after and may well do a Real World Hurricane IIB, followed by either a What If Spitfire FR 14 or Tempest II if the KP kit comes out in time.

I'd love to have done a real Hunter, but it's those bars ?

Hi Chris

'Scuse me if I've read the above wrong, but you need a set of 67 Squadron bars? (outward pointing blue triangles on red bars?) I have a spare set from the Modeldecal (or is that Model Decal?) R.A.F. Sabre sheet (number  97) They are yours if you want them?  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

If you wanted some teeny weeny ones to fit on a Vampire's booms I could print you some?

Regards
Kit