Mike McEvoy Tribute Build Thread

Started by NARSES2, December 31, 2021, 07:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freightdog862

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 18, 2022, 06:19:44 AM
So I'll stick to WWII or just after and may well do a Real World Hurricane IIB, followed by either a What If Spitfire FR 14 or Tempest II if the KP kit comes out in time.

I'd love to have done a real Hunter, but it's those bars ?

Hi Chris,

I understand the KP Tempest Mk.VI includes radial parts for the II on the same runner? So if your not bothered about the decals (who would be, they are generally not the best), you could use the Mk.VI kit already out.

Colin

kitbasher

'Inspired by' build under way, cutting started on the 'tribute to' build.  I've another two ideas bouncing around my head!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on January 18, 2022, 07:25:05 AM

Hi Chris

'Scuse me if I've read the above wrong, but you need a set of 67 Squadron bars? (outward pointing blue triangles on red bars?) I have a spare set from the Modeldecal (or is that Model Decal?) R.A.F. Sabre sheet (number  97) They are yours if you want them?  ;D

Many thanks sir  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 18, 2022, 08:08:09 AM
If you wanted some teeny weeny ones to fit on a Vampire's booms I could print you some?

Cheers Kit, but I've now got what I need for my real world build organised  :thumbsup: and my Wif doesn't need them
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Freightdog862 on January 18, 2022, 09:24:34 AM
So I'll stick to WWII or just after and may well do a Real World Hurricane IIB, followed by either a What If Spitfire FR 14 or Tempest II if the KP kit comes out in time.

Hi Chris,

I understand the KP Tempest Mk.VI includes radial parts for the II on the same runner? So if your not bothered about the decals (who would be, they are generally not the best), you could use the Mk.VI kit already out.

Colin

Oh thanks for that Colin, I'll look into it  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Hi Chris,

Colin

Not out in the UK yet, on sale in the Czech Rep but I don't particularly want to have to deal with the vagaries of HM Customs so I'll wait.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 20, 2022, 06:29:23 AM

Hi Chris,

Colin

Not out in the UK yet, on sale in the Czech Rep but I don't particularly want to have to deal with the vagaries of HM Customs so I'll wait.

Done a little search and found these links

https://www.modelimex.com/172-hawker-tempest-f6-over-egypt-3x-camo-kpm-72225

https://www.modelimex.com/172-hawker-tempest-f6-3x-camo-kpm-72223

If you look at the extra pictures for each item you can see the two diffeent engine shapes in the clear bag, the price is quite nice too.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Thankyou for that confirmation gentlemen, much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

Yup ordered a Mk VI this morning  :thumbsup: Wasn't in stock when I checked Thursday.

I'll leave the rest of the planed Mk II's until the kit comes in. Probably  :angel:

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on January 18, 2022, 07:25:05 AM
Been musing a bit on what to build and have been looking into 67 Squadron. They spent most, if not all of their service, overseas. Formed and spent WWI in the Middle East, various BE types then Bristol Fighters and RE 8's. Stood down in 1918 and after reforming on Buffalo's in the Far East spent WWII there, Hurricane IIb, IIc and Spitfire Mk VIII. Stood down again and then reformed in Germany on Vampires, then Sabre Mk 4's then Hunters before being stood down for a final time.

Now the problem with post WWII aircraft is the squadron bars, which whilst attractive are beyond me when it comes to portraying them, so one thought I had goes out the window. I was going to leave them in the Far East and give them Vampire FB 9's. So I'll stick to WWII or just after and may well do a Real World Hurricane IIB, followed by either a What If Spitfire FR 14 or Tempest II if the KP kit comes out in time.

Hi Chris

'Scuse me if I've read the above wrong, but you need a set of 67 Squadron bars? (outward pointing blue triangles on red bars?) I have a spare set from the Modeldecal (or is that Model Decal?) R.A.F. Sabre sheet (number  97) They are yours if you want them?  ;D

Arrived this morning, many thanks. So my real world build is now a goer.

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 22, 2022, 06:31:58 AM
Yup ordered a Mk VI this morning  :thumbsup: Wasn't in stock when I checked Thursday.

Arrived this morning, so my Wiffy build is now a goer as well

Gondor

And you thought Thorvic was bad at getting you to buy kits....

Gondor

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on January 26, 2022, 11:46:54 AM
And you thought Thorvic was bad at getting you to buy kits....

Gondor

Yea  ;D, but in all fairness the Mk II is one of my favourite aircraft types and I will be buying a few of their Mk II's when they come out. I just needed this one earlier, that's my excuse anyway  :angel:

Knightflyer

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 26, 2022, 06:29:59 AM

Arrived this morning, many thanks. So my real world build is now a goer.

Glad they got there okay Chris, would love to see a picture of the finished build then done
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Weaver

At the moment, dealing with my aunt's estate and a couple of other things are taking all my time off me. However, this should ease for a while soon (I hope!). Still want to do my PR Hunter idea at least for this.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones