US bombers in Anti-Flash scheme

Started by philp, January 05, 2022, 09:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

What if the US had adopted the overall white scheme with pale stars and bars on our strategic bombers?
We are talking B-47, B-52 and B-58.
But others were also set as nuclear bombers.  F-105 maybe B-66 or the Navy A-3 and A-5?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Could go for France also.
A Mirage IV in all white with pale rounders.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

AndrewF

Like the NASA B-52 mothership (without the stripe along the fuselage side)

Dizzyfugu

Early B-52s were actually painted in an anti-flash scheme - but just the undersides were painted white, the upper surfaces remained NMF.

Similar things were apparently done with B-47s:

This would certainly look cool on a F-105, though.  :rolleyes:

The Rat

A B-58 in all white would look so sexy!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Steel Penguin

the B52 looks so odd in that scheme, im so used to seeing either Vietnam era, or modern euro schemes, it really stands out.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kerick

Trick would be finding an early model BUFF kit. One with the turbo jet engines.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kerick on January 06, 2022, 10:26:30 AM

That'll be the Monogram one, the one with the brackets on the wings and fuselage to hang it up.............  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 06, 2022, 11:37:58 AM
Quote from: kerick on January 06, 2022, 10:26:30 AM

That'll be the Monogram one, the one with the brackets on the wings and fuselage to hang it up.............  :-\

Still a good kit if you don't mind raised panel lines and lack of interior in the bomb bay and gear wells.  I have 3 of them in the stash.

I am currently fighting with the Minicraft kit in 1/144th.  Think I have put more putty on this than any other kit so far.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kitnut617

One of the eight (all 1/72) I have has the white undersides, I think it is the Monogram B-52B with the X-15 included.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

philp

Pretty sure Balls 3 and Balls 8 were overall nmf with some orange/white panels.

The white bottom BUFFs were the nuclear alert birds.  They might have went to 'nam in that scheme but went to a black underside before the full camo was applied.  Current 52s are in the Dark Ghost Grey scheme.

I have an odd connection to the Big Ugly in that my lady friend used to be ground crew for them out of Minot, AFB.

Plus you haven't seen anything until you see a Stratofortress land or take off crab like in a cross wind with the gear canted.
https://youtu.be/A1lpoZDjt00
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Excellent vid there Philp.  :thumbsup:

I used to watch them do that at Fairford umpteen years ago, and many years after that watched them do it again on the way to the Gulf War!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 06, 2022, 04:10:16 PM
One of the eight (all 1/72) I have...

Blimey!! You surely must live in an old hangar to fit those inside when built!   ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

XB-70 is already white.  Just needs the faded markings.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

Quote from: philp on January 06, 2022, 08:09:29 PM
Pretty sure Balls 3 and Balls 8 were overall nmf with some orange/white panels.

The white bottom BUFFs were the nuclear alert birds.  They might have went to 'nam in that scheme but went to a black underside before the full camo was applied.  Current 52s are in the Dark Ghost Grey scheme.

I have an odd connection to the Big Ugly in that my lady friend used to be ground crew for them out of Minot, AFB.

Plus you haven't seen anything until you see a Stratofortress land or take off crab like in a cross wind with the gear canted.
https://youtu.be/A1lpoZDjt00

Yes, thinking about it now the B-52B kit is like that Philp, looking at what I have in the stash, the kit with the white undersides is actually the AMT B-52G with the Hound Dog missiles.
The B-52's used YYC as a base during show weekends at either Lethbridge or Red Deer, and I seen one land crab wise.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike