Boeing-X Sensor-Y (finished part 2 page 5+5, part1 page3)

Started by Tophe, January 13, 2022, 07:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 23, 2022, 08:46:06 AM
My friends, if you see anything I've done that you would like to do yourselves, please do!  It's nothing special, I assure you!  :)

Flyer, that was built for a challenge on StarShipModeler http://www.starshipmodeler.com  - the challenge was to build something, anything SciFi from a Bf-109.  We could use any scale or several different ones, any number of 'donor' models - the only thing was to use at least parts of one Bf-109, and we had to be able to ID at least some of the parts when the build was complete.

I used two Matchbox kits to get the vertical fins and the four wings.  I robbed the podded engines off some wind-up toy airliners and greeblied them up a bit; the R2 unit was made from a Lite Brite peg I swiped from my daughter; most everything else came from the spares bin, particularly the underwing stores.  One of them is scratchbuilt - the port upper inboard missile; the recon pod on the upper stbd wing was a drop-tank with the end cut off and a piece of clear sprue glued in.  Once the glue was set, I applied a bit of heat (Bic lighter flame) to the clear sprue, and it obligingly turned into a ball.  Any impurities within the clear plastic is now the gubbins of the sensor.  ;)

This was my concept drawing; no pictures exist of the process because that was before I had a digital camera, but I promise - it wasn't anything ground-breaking.  :)  I do have more pictures of it, if you'd like to see them.

Going away:

Belly of the beast:

Dorsal view:

Close-up of the Port Wing:

Close-up of the Starboard Wing:

I built a bit of brass tubing into the tail - it replaces the aft marker light at the base of the vertical stabilizer - as a receptacle for the wire and I was going to have it in low orbit over a world, but couldn't find a plate or bowl that pleased me, so I made the cube.  That's a 6" cube of solid lumber under the cork - I wanted a solid base.  It was a bit heavier than I'd reckoned, but it works - that model isn't going anywhere!  :) 

I thought it'd be a cute SciFi pun to make it a previously un-encountered species of Borg - the Cork Borg.  I should have made it kelly green, of course, with shamrocks all over it and Shillelagh missiles and all ... maybe next time.  ;)  The sticky note says "A tack!  A tack!" (I think Mars Attacks is hysterical) with a push pin to give it credence ...  ;)

I have plans to build a R/C version of this, and this video gives me confidence that it will work just fine. :mellow:

https://youtu.be/vLyfNXpuUwo
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Tophe

Yes, impressive video, even with stationary flight (in the wind) which is exceptional for a glider... <_<
I may try to draw a P-51 version of this, thanks to remind me this source of inspiration. :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Wardukw

That X Wing is the bird i bet us Germans had in WW2   :lol:
Scotaidh did a wonderful job with that build ..looks like one of yours Tophe mate  ;D and an RC verison will be epic Flyer  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on May 03, 2022, 07:31:49 PM
I may try to draw a P-51 version of this, thanks to remind me this source of inspiration. :thumbsup:
Here is it, thanks Flyer & Scotaidh! ;)

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/P-51_profil10_bo.jpg

Flyer

Looks cool Tophe :thumbsup:

I got a notification about that video a week or two ago but I had X-wing aircraft on my mind all morning and that's what prompted me to finally post the link to that video, just now looked at the date of today... It's May 4th! :o

Tophe

Tophe

Rheged

Quote from: Flyer on May 04, 2022, 02:13:28 AM
Looks cool Tophe :thumbsup:

I got a notification about that video a week or two ago but I had X-wing aircraft on my mind all morning and that's what prompted me to finally post the link to that video, just now looked at the date of today... It's May 4th! :o

A happy Star Wars day to everyone, and congratulations to Tophe on a remarkable and totally unexpected piece of Whiffery!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Tophe

Wardukw

Tophe the top view would make a damn cool looking model even if wasnt a x wing .
Oh a belated
May the 4th be with you day..its the fifth lord here today  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Thanks!
I did not know The Fifth Lord but Internet showed me, all right.
Here is the aspect of the canard jet Mustangs without X-Wing:  ;)

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/P-51_persp_D_by.jpg

Wardukw

Yeah a wee bit of word play with the Sith ..the bad dudes  ;D
Its weird Tophe but the earlier Mustang bird cage canopy looks better than the bubble top verison..if the area behind the canopy on the top plane was thicker and more rounded it would look better but that would make the area under the tail look to fat..thats annoying so ill stick with the lower plane  :thumbsup: ;D

Tophe

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 04, 2022, 10:22:21 PM
better than the bubble top version..if the area behind the canopy on the top plane was thicker and more rounded it would look better but that would make the area under the tail look to fat..
Thanks!
Uh, the problem with the D version above is an artefact, sorry, maybe I will make a modified drawing: if the wing is less high, there would not be this shocking small area but... the jet would be hidden by the cockpit, a little. This is possible anyway, maybe I am going to try.

Wardukw

Oh id keep the wings right where they are..they look good and the engines are still have nice clean air..
You could rise the tail or leave it where it is and just built the fuselage up around it..but these mods id do when building this beast..bugger now ive gotta find some P51 parts  :lol:

Flyer

I have 2x 1/144 P-51D's I may have a try of my own version of a X-wing with. I'd need to find something to make the jet engines from though as I don't have any...