use that for the serials but was wondering what sort of serial range
I had to work with? The initial F-111 order was for 24 so I was
looking at a serial range from A8-1 to A8-24, or whatever matches
the initial intended order. Or I could follow the Canberra numbering
convention and make initial BAC built versions be numbered A8-1 to
A8-? and any subsequent GAF built versions in the A8-201 onwards
range.

Were there to be any special modifications to the RAAF TSR-2 or was
it to be essentially identical to the RAF version?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

Tony

TsrJoe

Hi there, re Aussie TSR.2's

... id go along with the 'A8'  type designator for the BAC. TSR.2 (or even the RA.5C Vigilantie as that was the favoured design!)

... numbers wise i dont have the figures to hand but the RAAF. were looking to equip 2 squadrons, so 24 seems a safe bet (also the number of interim R/B.47E's offered and F.111C's ordered! we offered 4 Valiants!)

... the RAAF. delivery was to have been airfames 15 - 20 from the production batch, therafter every 4th aircraft until final delivery, with completion of the order by 1969.

... equipment fit for the RAAF. TSR.2 was to have been to the same standard as the RAF. service model (including 'special' cabability) with conventional weapons as standard.
The RAAF. around the time of cancelation of their order (justifiaby so having read the bs. we put them through!) stated that they required the 'OR.1168' (later MARTEL.) weapons fit to their airframes as standard for the overwater 'maritime strike' role, also tasked to the F.111C (interestingly it was later suggested that the weapon be purchased for use on the F.111C)

... training aircraft for the TSR.2 in RAAF. service was to have been the 'Jet Provost T.5' (the RAF. opting for an upgraded 2 seat Hunter variant!) an order for which was almost sealed in 1965! (initial crew training was to be carried out in the UK. on initial production batch airframes at the dedicated OCU. probably in a similar way to the later TTTE. with Tornado!)

hoping this helps add some further details to the RAAF. TSR.2 saga?

cheers, joe

ps. the TSR.2 was never the favoured type within the RAAF. as mentioned the RA.5C being the favourite followed by TSR.2 then Mirage IVA! When the 'all singing/all dancing' TFX. appeared this then became a firm favourite (the fiscal costs 'on paper' were incomparable...the TSR.2 seemed double the TFX. offer with less strings too!)

jwc
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Geoff_B

QuoteThor,
What "version" of the Mirage iv? Was it a similar version to the "K"?

Geoff i take it you mean the Mirage IVO, no i don't think it was the same as the K as the BAC version was rebuilt for Spey with some TSR-2 Avionics to be included. The Australain Mirage IVO was offered to complement the Mirage IIIO and as such would probably be much the same as the French original using the same engines etc (Also alot easier to build  :D ). Colouer scheme would likely be NMF as per the Mirage IIIO then going camo about the same time.

These should be handy for decals for your 1/48 kit

Cheers

Geoff B (Thor)

Radish

Mirage IVO, eh?
Like that idea.
In 1/48th?? Monster!
Mmmmmmm??
Might do a defector to NZ.
:wub:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Radish

Colours, Geoff?
Surely not white??
Copying the F-111s or going for an alternative?
:lol:  

Spellbinder99

Stuff that ugly Yank scheme, especially with the black undersides..... :P

Thanks for the input Joe.

Cheers

Tony

elmayerle

I'll post the link later, but how about some of the cool hypothetical F-111C camo schemes that Carlo Kopp did up for Australian Aviation?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

elmayerle

QuoteI'll post the link later, but how about some of the cool hypothetical F-111C camo schemes that Carlo Kopp did up for Australian Aviation?
As promisd above:

Carlo Kopp's Gallery of Possible F-111C/G Camo Schemes
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

nev

Thanks for that Evan, theres some really cool schemes there, especially the "jungle" camo.  Didn't their Caribous have a similar scheme?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

Hi Tony

Another option could be the BAC example on test at Woomera as i imagine if Australia had ordered some then some joint trials would have occured in Australia.  If think joe mentioned Valiants being offered in the meantime but as these suffered from Wing cracking at low level then an RAAF Victor of Vulcan becomes a strong possibility along with some other interesting schemes (they could always be retained as Heavy Bombers or Tankers once the TSR2 arrive and go into service. ;)

Geoff B B)  

Radish

Some great schemes.
Now even I'm tempted with an Aussie TSR2 and I've the decals in tiny form too!

And a Victor in one of those wrarparound schemes?? Heaven!!!
:P  

Radish

Some terrific schemes.
Look good on a RAAF Crusader too. :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  

Jennings

If you chaps don't mind me chiming in here....  I'm all ears on the RAAF TSR.2's.  I produce decal art for a living, and there's a new 1/72 kit coming from Airfix (you do the math...).  If anyone wants to assist me in coming up with some viable "realistic" RAAF markings, I'm willing and able :)

Cheers,

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Geoff_B

Telford 2003

You should get some ideas from our 2003 display, other picture albums should have a few more examples to inspire you.

On the main page of this site should be an RAAF TSR-2 Eagle under the Air folder.

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Bryan H.

QuoteIf you chaps don't mind me chiming in here.... I'm all ears on the RAAF TSR.2's. I produce decal art for a living, and there's a new 1/72 kit coming from Airfix (you do the math...). If anyone wants to assist me in coming up with some viable "realistic" RAAF markings, I'm willing and able

The obvious is the same camo schemes that have flown on their F-111's (either SEA & black or overall grey.)  Something more unusual would be some sort of variation of the reddish-brown, tan & olive trials scheme that was flown on an RAAF Caribou.  

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk