Movie soundtracks done right

Started by Hobbes, January 16, 2022, 03:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

John Williams has recorded some of his best-known music with the Wiener Philharmoniker. This includes e.g. the Star Wars theme, the Stormtroopers march and the Indiana Jones theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJazSQk25o&list=PLcSkPXginhQcdssSEt5PLtT2-MTmqHy_w

Pellson

Quote from: Hobbes on January 16, 2022, 03:29:05 AM

John Williams has recorded some of his best-known music with the Wiener Philharmoniker. This includes e.g. the Star Wars theme, the Stormtroopers march and the Indiana Jones theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVJazSQk25o&list=PLcSkPXginhQcdssSEt5PLtT2-MTmqHy_w

:wub:

Both my girls are playing the violin in the school orchestra, and they did a film music concert last autumn. Obviously not to these standards, but still an experience I'm still drawing energy from.

God, I miss concerts..  :-\
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Mossie

My brother lives in LA and went to a John Williams concert before the Covid happened.  Spielberg made an appearance to pay tribute.  It looked amazing, along with a good chunk of the audience taking light sabers to wave along to the music!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Mossie on January 16, 2022, 04:26:22 AM
My brother lives in LA and went to a John Williams concert before the Covid happened.  Spielberg made an appearance to pay tribute.  It looked amazing, along with a good chunk of the audience taking light sabers to wave along to the music!

The Crossover Classical Music/Sci-Fi Genre... who'd have thunk it'd become 'A Thing'?   :unsure:

Who has corrupted Whom?  ;D ;D

AeroplaneDriver

I'll never forget the last night we went out before the COVID lockdown...The Charlotte Philharmonic Orchestra were doing the Star Wars movies with live soundtrack.  We went to see Star Wars in March 2020 and had tickets to see The Empire Strikes Back in March 2021.  This was as the US was starting to shut down but as of mid afternoon the show was still on.  Around 5pm I got the notification that it had been cancelled.  We still went into town and had Fish & Chips at a great Irish pub in downtown Charlotte.  Our last time out being social for two months.  Williams is the best ever. 

But I will say Shore knocked it out of the park with the Lord Of the Rings and I am partial to a lot of Hans Zimmer, specifically Crimson Tide, The DaVinci Code, and Man Of Steel. 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

zenrat

I've seen West Side Story (1961) with a full symphony orchestra.  That was pretty good.

Also an orchestra playing music from Dr Who.  That one had Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans et al roaming the auditorium.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hobbes

Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 18, 2022, 08:21:13 PM

The Crossover Classical Music/Sci-Fi Genre... who'd have thunk it'd become 'A Thing'?   :unsure:

Turns out, big budget movies are one of the few productions that can still afford to hire a symphony orchestra to produce their music.

Pellson

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 18, 2022, 09:21:49 PM
..But I will say Shore knocked it out of the park with the Lord Of the Rings and I am partial to a lot of Hans Zimmer, specifically Crimson Tide, The DaVinci Code, and Man Of Steel.

Don't get me started. The main theme from "Red October", Danny Elfmans wonderful "Ice dance" from "Edwards Scissorhands" and Ludwig Goranssons corny but amazing theme from "The Mandalorian" just to mention a few..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 19, 2022, 02:35:17 AM
I've seen West Side Story (1961) with a full symphony orchestra.  That was pretty good.

Seen that as well, truly excellent  :thumbsup:

A lady friend of mine is "in" to the ballet and I must admit I'm not, however when we went before Covid (Are we going to have a generation who grow up thinking BC stands for Before Covid rather than Before Christ or whatever we are supposed to call it nowadays ?  :angel: ;) ;D) I just used to close my eyes and let the music overwhelm me. Some ballet music is simply superb.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

2001: A Space Odyssey - the best matching of music to visuals ever.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on January 19, 2022, 10:19:24 AM

Of non-custom scored music to visuals.  Me, personally, James Horner and the Wrath of Khan soundtrack.  Mind you, I've seen that movie so many times, 1) I wore out the VHS, and 2) I can recite the dialogue with the music.  Of course, I think Horner cribbed cues from it for the Apollo 13 and Titanic soundtracks.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, the big space station wheel rotating, amazing stuff.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2022, 11:16:13 AM

Oh yes, the big space station wheel rotating, amazing stuff.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm still waiting for Pan Am's scheduled service to start...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Weaver

One of my favorite movie scores ever is Conan The Barbarian (1982) by the late Basil Poledouris. He also did The Hunt For Red October.

Quote from: Hobbes on January 19, 2022, 04:01:11 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on January 18, 2022, 08:21:13 PM

Turns out, big budget movies are one of the few productions that can still afford to hire a symphony orchestra to produce their music.

The Classical Music/Heavy Metal genre is another surprising one. There's a whole sub-genre called Symphonic Metal that features a combination of rock-band instruments, operatic-style vocals and orchestral backing tracks. Finnish band Nightwish are pretty much the inventors of this genre, and they record all their backing tracks with classical musicians and choirs in London. Their founder and Composer, Tuomas Holopainen, cites movie music, and Hans Zimmer in particular, as a strong influence. Touring with a full orchestra is generally impractical/uneconomic but the Dutch symphonic metal band Epica did a one-off show with a full orchestra on stage.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 19, 2022, 06:51:10 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 19, 2022, 02:35:17 AM

Seen that as well, truly excellent  :thumbsup:

A lady friend of mine is "in" to the ballet and I must admit I'm not, however when we went before Covid (Are we going to have a generation who grow up thinking BC stands for Before Covid rather than Before Christ or whatever we are supposed to call it nowadays ?  :angel: ;) ;D) I just used to close my eyes and let the music overwhelm me. Some ballet music is simply superb.

I've never been to a ballet but am keen to as i'm fascinated to find out whether I can hear the dancers feet banging about on the stage.  Covid permitting the Melbourne Ballet are IIRC doing Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet this season.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..