Boosted Brewster Buffalo

Started by Scotaidh, January 16, 2022, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 17, 2022, 04:21:31 AM
Quote from: 63cpe on January 17, 2022, 02:52:56 AM

I did a quite radical unlimited Racer from a Brewster Buffalo some years ago:

https://flic.kr/p/2eDgbWm

I think I graved a R-2800 on the fuselage. Not sure, Will check. It reminds me i wanted to do a less radical racer from a Buffalo one day.

Not certain about the parts' source, but there's a Quickboost resin P-3 prop set that offers very similar blades - I used them on a Reno Racer project, and the look menacing on a rather small aircraft.

I LOVE the prop on that, where did it come from? Looks like a higher pitch version of an XF-84H prop.  :thumbsup:

perttime

Quote from: zenrat on January 17, 2022, 02:15:36 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 17, 2022, 12:51:15 AM
I pimped a Buffalo in a similar fashion a while ago: it received a new engine (a planned R-2600 turned out to be too long), a different tail and slightly longer wings (all with square tips), a fuselage plug behind the cockpit and an F4U "bubble canopy".

Sofa so good...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
At some point, I must have mentioned the incident with a Brewster pilot flying with two human passengers, a large dog and some luggage.

63cpe

I LOVE the prop on that, where did it come from? Looks like a higher pitch version of an XF-84H prop.  :thumbsup:

It's an E-2c prop and the cowling is probably from a Beriev Be-6 (Modified by deleting the sort of intake). So It's about to house something like a R-3350.

David aka 63cpe

Wardukw

I took a look at ya build Dave and mate you wouldnt believe that used to be a Buffalo.
Very nice work bud and the hawkeye propeller looks perfect.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Quote from: 63cpe on January 17, 2022, 02:52:56 AM
I did a quite radical unlimited Racer from a Brewster Buffalo some years ago:

https://flic.kr/p/2eDgbWm

I think I graved a R-2800 on the fuselage. Not sure, Will check. It reminds me i wanted to do a less radical racer from a Buffalo one day.

David aka 63cpe

That's really impressive!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

jcf

The engine of the Corsair was much more than just the power-plant itself, the performance
was because of the two-stage supercharger installation that occupied much of the front fuselage.

Which contrasts dramatically with the R-1820 installation on the lengthened F2A-3.

The base specifications of the R-2800-8 used in the F4U-1:
Weight (dry): 2480 lbs.
Diameter: 52.80 inches
Length (installed): 88.47 inches (this includes induction system)

The base specifications of the R-2800-18 used in the F4U-4:
Weight (dry): 2560 lbs.
Diameter: 52.80 inches
Length (installed): 93.77 inches (this includes induction system)

The base specifications of the R-1820-40 as used in the F2A-2/2A/3:
Weight (dry): 1315 lbs.
Diameter: 55.12 inches
Length: 48.4 inches

The shortest Double Wasp/R-2800s were 75.72 inches long, around 30 inches longer
than the shortest Wasp/R-1340.

Wardukw

Stuffing the Corsair engine onto the short buffalo is the main reason i like this..adding the extra lenght will take away the shortness amd with the engine being slightly smaller in diameter will make this plane look pretty cool and really distinctive.
Turn this thing into a right little pocket rocket  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

frank2056

A boosted Buffalo makes me think of the Hispano AviaciĆ³n HA-1109/HA-1112, which had torque issues on takeoff, although those were mainly the fault of the replacement engines turning opposite from the original DB601.

Another real world inspiration might be the Kawasaki Ki-100, which was a radial engine version of the Ki-61... and an improvement (the extra power didn't hurt)

Wardukw

Another real world inspiration might be the Kawasaki Ki-100, which was a radial engine version of the Ki-61... and an improvement (the extra power didn't hurt)
[/quote]
Putting a 400hp 302 windsor V8 into my 3.0ltr Capri works perfectly with your last lines Frank  ;D :lol:

63cpe

QuotePutting a 400hp 302 windsor V8 into my 3.0ltr Capri
.....oh, that's done in real world. Check Perana cars from South Afrika. I'll post pictures later today.

David aka 63CPE

Wardukw

Oh i know about what those nuttas in South Africa have done..an old Chey is from Cape Town and his dad was a rev head  too..just like me and Chey.
He had a V8 Capri and he also had one car to this day i still want..351 Cleveland V8 powdered Ford Serria .
Ive always wanted to build one to look like a RS500 but with a alloy block 351 Windsor engine.
The scarey thing is the V8 Capris had the brakes and suspension from the standard 3.0 ltr car..his dad to mention hecould run out of brakes very quickly ...mine had all those issues sorted.

jcf

Somewhat surprisingly when the 28-cylinder R-4360 was installed in the Corsair overall
length didn't change because they used a simpler single-stage supercharger which meant
that the extra length occupied the space formerly occupied by the bulkier two-stage system.
The appearance of increased length between the two types is an illusion. To lengthen the
cowling they pretty much just added a parallel sided cylinder slightly greater in length than
the two added rows of cylinders.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cowling tightness, the Corsair was fairly unique amongst
the R-2800 powered single-engine fighters in being tightly cowled, the P-47 and Hellcat aren't
as tight.

Note how far aft the firewalls are in relation to the trailing edge of the cowling, on an up-engined
Buff one could say that a new "joggled"* firewall assembly was installed with the engine mounting
points further aft, (not unlike how Mitsubishi moved the firewall aft between the A6M2 and A6M3
versions of the Zero), there's plenty of room to accommodate a longer engine if the cowl guns are
eliminated on the Buff.
*joggled to accommodate the landing gear.

Apologies if I've run on too much, the technical details of how engine swaps etc. might work in the
"real world" are one of those things that get my ADHD brain going.
;)

Scotaidh

joncarrfarrelly, thank-you for that.  I found it intensely interesting.  My father was flight deck officer on HMS Implacable from 1945-50, and he worked on Corsairs - loved them.  You should have seen his eyes light up when we saw one at an airshow!  :)

I had a hunch that the extra space inside the cowling wouldn't really be a problem - if anything, extra cooling, I reckon. 

I'm not a fan of guns firing through the prop arc, so the Buffalo was going to lose the cowling weaponry, anyhow.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

jcf