Boosted Brewster Buffalo

Started by Scotaidh, January 16, 2022, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Jon those photos of that engine are just gorgeous mate..man thats a lovely site aint it  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Here's with the Corsair engine taped in place ...

And with my stack 'o plastic

I think the Corsair engine looks a bit twee there ... maybe it's just me? 
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pellson

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 23, 2022, 11:29:50 AM
I think the Corsair engine looks a bit twee there ... maybe it's just me?

Agree. Sorry - it had to be said..  :rolleyes:

Have you considered a Hellcat or Helldiver power plant? Maybe it'll line up better?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Wardukw

Or P47..thats a biggin ..mesurements will be needed i think.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

Well - I don't want to buy yet another kit just to rob its engine ... 'cos then what do I do with the rest of the kit?  Plus I already bought two Corsair kits - one for the Buffa-slo and one for the (planned) Boomerang, so now they're cluttering up the place ...

Next step is to find my thin plastic card-stock and bend it into the shape of the cowling.  :)

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Pellson

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 24, 2022, 01:47:34 AM
Well - I don't want to buy yet another kit just to rob its engine ... 'cos then what do I do with the rest of the kit?  Plus I already bought two Corsair kits - one for the Buffa-slo and one for the (planned) Boomerang, so now they're cluttering up the place ...

Next step is to find my thin plastic card-stock and bend it into the shape of the cowling.  :)

I have a spare Airfix Hellcat cowling you can have, if you want it. No engine inside, though, but i would expect that can be solved. Let me know.

Flyer

I too have Boomerang kit's awaiting engine swaps when (or if more like :rolleyes:) I finally get around to it. So far there are two I have the donors for, Allison from a P-40 and BMW from Fw-190. I'd like to do a turbojet Boomerang also when I work out how. Look forward to your Corsair'd Boomerang.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Dizzyfugu

An SB2C's R-2600 works quite well on the Buffalo's hull, but the longer nose makes the whole affair look rather awkward, be warned, esp. with the wheels down (the Buffalo sits quite low on the ground, large props are a problem)! That's why I rejected it on my Bison build.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 24, 2022, 03:04:42 AM
An SB2C's R-2600 works quite well on the Buffalo's hull, but the longer nose makes the whole affair look rather awkward, be warned, esp. with the wheels down (the Buffalo sits quite low on the ground, large props are a problem)! That's why I rejected it on my Bison build.

Two counter-rotating five-blades sorts that.. ;)

Scotaidh

Quote from: Pellson on January 24, 2022, 02:00:41 AM

I have a spare Airfix Hellcat cowling you can have, if you want it. No engine inside, though, but i would expect that can be solved. Let me know.

Yes, thanks!  :)  I'll pm you my address.  Thanks again!

Wardukw

Quote from: Pellson on January 24, 2022, 08:26:33 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 24, 2022, 03:04:42 AM

Two counter-rotating five-blades sorts that.. ;)

Who the hell sells 48th scale counter rotating props ??..cause i want some  ;D

Pellson

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 24, 2022, 01:54:55 PM
Quote from: Pellson on January 24, 2022, 02:00:41 AM

Yes, thanks!  :)  I'll pm you my address.  Thanks again!

It's packed, addressed and ready to go. I just need some stamps, as the better half used them up yesterday.  :rolleyes:

But give it another day, and the cowling will be in the tender care of mr Postman.  :thumbsup:

Scotaidh

Some progress, slow but sure.  Now that the stack is dry, and I've done a bit of filing to keep things even, it's time to add the cowling.  As you can see, it's just a strip of thin plastic. I've glued one end and once I'm happy that's dry I'll wrap and glue, using a wooden clothes pin to make sure everything stays put.  Not very exciting, sorry - but if the foundation is crap so will be the building.

Wardukw

From crap comes wonderment and coolness Scotaidh matey and this has a ton of coolness because in my sligthly warpped mind anything with a bigger engine is cool  :thumbsup:
And thanks to that AH64 Apache frame you chucked into that wicked gift im gonna build a very weird autogyro and it will be the most powerful autogyro ever built i think  ;D
Which makes it cool..simple aint it ?  :lol:

Scotaidh

I think I've got the engine mostly sorted - just a wee bit more PSR, mostly touch-up.  I made the cut through the fuselage behind the cockpit and wasn't as careful as I should have been, I guess, as there was a fair amount of shattering ...  :(

First of the extended longerons installed, and you can see the port side of the extended cowling.

Starboard side of the new cowling, and you can tell that the tail cut, which was supposed to be a straight line, ain't.  In fact, it's only straight at the top and the bottom  :(