Boosted Brewster Buffalo

Started by Scotaidh, January 16, 2022, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Interesting point is that Flt Lt Richard Trevor-Roper DFC DFM, Guy Gibson's tail-gunner in 617 Sqn, was the tallest member of AJ-G's crew.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Scotaidh on February 21, 2022, 08:16:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2022, 06:29:48 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2022, 03:40:20 AM
I got into the tail turret of a Lanc without too much difficulty.

I'd be more concerned about getting out in a hurry  :angel:

As I understand it, the bailout procedure was to rotate the turret fully to one side or the other, jettison the door and lean back ...  :)

That's my understanding as well

Quote from: zenrat on February 22, 2022, 01:53:42 AM
Less people your size back then Dukwy.

My dad was 6 foot which was considered tall back then and in all his group photos whilst in the Navy he stands out by at least a couple of inches. When his younger brother, also 6 foot, was called up in 1944 he was immediately earmarked for a Guards battalion.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

If i was back in WW2 i would have probably ended in a guards unit or whatever ..i have no idea really cause i was 6ft when i was 13 ..i was 12.5 yrs old when i could fit my dads closes anymore.
Yeah as you might have guessed my dad's butt was alot closer to the footpath than mine..my mum is where i got my height from..she's 3ins taller than my dad and im 11ins taller than my dad.
There was a German paratrooper who was a famous boxer and that dude was a very big guy..easliy 6'5 .
In the picture he stands heads above the rest of the men..so i could have been a para  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Hum, interesting... guess that being 5'6" i would be the ideal size for a ball turret gunner, right? Or maybe a fighter pilot? I can only imagine what it'd be like to find yourself having to bail out in a hurry from such cramped spaces. :-\
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 22, 2022, 09:59:12 PM

There was a German paratrooper who was a famous boxer and that dude was a very big guy..easliy 6'5 .

Max Schmeling, surprisingly just under 6' 1" or 1.85 metres. Seen the two fights with Joe Louis a few times. We always think they are a lot taller than they are because they are taller than those around them and we make the mistake of not realising how much the average height of the population has increased in what is now almost 90 years.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Wardukw

Ok i am officially shocked ..6'1 ?? Oh and yep that was the gent..Max was a big man but im taller and that means the blokes in that pic other than Max were 5'  :lol:
Cheers for that Chris  :thumbsup:
Sorry to say Zen mate but yeah you very likely would be a ball turret gunner ..shorter blokes were chosen just for those position ..ya know its never a good thing when shorter ppl are needed for jobs which taller ppl cant do..oh you could have been a tanker to mate and as for a fighter pilot i can see why not..i dont think height would be too much of a problem unless your flying a 109..quite cramped cockpit for anyone over 6ft.
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on February 23, 2022, 10:21:56 AM
Ok i am officially shocked ..6'1 ?? Oh and yep that was the gent..Max was a big man but im taller and that means the blokes in that pic other than Max were 5'  :lol:
Cheers for that Chris  :thumbsup:
Sorry to say Zen mate but yeah you very likely would be a ball turret gunner ..shorter blokes were chosen just for those position ..ya know its never a good thing when shorter ppl are needed for jobs which taller ppl cant do..oh you could have been a tanker to mate and as for a fighter pilot i can see why not..i dont think height would be too much of a problem unless your flying a 109..quite cramped cockpit for anyone over 6ft.

Well, if that's where they'd want me, there wouldn't be much i could do about it, i guess.  ;D
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Wardukw

Not necessarily matey boy...if you volunteered you got to choose what you did..if you got called up then your choices are ..well none   :lol:
I think if you got called up you wouldnt have gotten into the air force anyway..you would have been a ground pounder like me
;D

Scotaidh

Stuck in PSR and having limited success in getting the fuselage curves to match up in any kind of reasonable manner ... my sanding session today produced several holes, looking as if the thing'd had a rough time with a Zero-sen.  The dark area is where the holes were ... Just as well I'd put in some longerons!  The uneven cut at the back added difficulties, too. I really should have abandoned the project when the darn thing shattered under the saw-blade ... Oh, well - live and learn.  :)

All that aside, I think it's looking better for the stretch - more proportionately pleasing (to me, at least).
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Thats looking quite cool really..like ya said the proportions look pretty good now..like a small tailed P47 .
Keep going mate..this is gonna look really cool when done  :thumbsup:

frank2056

The shape looks good!

Try giving it a layer of primer. It'll show areas that really need work vs sanding the whole thing.

Dizzyfugu

That's looking good.  :thumbsup: The fin appears a bit small now, though, and I assume that the aircraft's stance on the ground with the OOB landing gear will look quite funny!  ;)

Flyer

Looks like your turning a Buffalo into a Buccaneer.  ;D

Seriously though good work :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Scotaidh

Yes, Dizzy. I've got to increase the size of the fin, and also the stabilizer.  If I was building this "on the ground" the greater length would mean the prop would have to be shortened - when the larger engine would require a larger prop - but as I build my aircraft "flying" I can ignore that.  ;)

Frank, the primer will be there - but before that I've still got to smooth this lot down.  :p

I can think of at least one member here who'd argue for longer wings, and I'm leaning that way 'cos it's the easier way to go, and I love the looks of the wings on the Whirlwind and Welkin - but as a naval aircraft, short wide wings were de rigeur ...

Thanks, 'dukw-NZ, for the encouragement.  :)  I'm going to build an OOB Buffalo to pose beside this one, to make the changes a bit more obvious.  I'm thinking about naming it either the "Beefalo" or the "Buffalot" - what d'you reckon?  :)

Flyer, I guess I am -  I didn't think about that - it'd have been a much easier conversion.  :)  'Cept this will just be a fighter - no bombs or turrets or second person.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Buffalot hahahaha oh man i like that one  :thumbsup:
I was thinking of doing that with that thing i did ..this really cool dude  sent me a P 40 and then i got to thonking ..whats the damn point? ..it dont even look like a P40 anymore..and so there we are  ;D
Yup Bufflalot  :wacko:
Im thinking about the tail to ..i wonder how a much larger tail with a more squared top would look ..like a Hellcats .