Boosted Brewster Buffalo

Started by Scotaidh, January 16, 2022, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotaidh

I've been busy building the OOB comparison Buffalo, but it wasn't until I got some paint on them that I realized that the original wings on the stretch just wouldn't do - much too short to my eyes, and it was in danger of being in the same boat as the Stirling - a decent design crippled by inadequate wings.  So, the wings will be stretched.

Work in progress:

Both wings have been cut and an insert developed.  Much PSR will be required, and the tail-planes will also require a re-design.  The cut-off stbd wing is resting on top of the insert to show what I mean by being too short, and the OOB is beside it to drive the point home.  :) 

I have to say, the Buffalo as designed is a neat little fighter, and I'm coming to think that it deserved better than it got from history.

Sorry for the poor photo - I'm using a new-to-me camera - my original one died on safari. :(  I was also in kind of a hurry, too, so I'm sure that didn't help.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Flyer

Quote from: Scotaidh on June 29, 2022, 02:05:27 AM

I have to say, the Buffalo as designed is a neat little fighter, and I'm coming to think that it deserved better than it got from history.

I for one have liked the Buffalo from the moment I saw a picture of one. Not sure how old I was exactly, but it was definitely under 10.

Good to see some progress. <_< :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Wardukw

Yeah me too..glad to see your back at it mate  :thumbsup:
I like planes like this ..something that never was but could or should have been and what other planes came from these ones.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

I've decided I need to build an OOB version of my Whif, to make it easier to see the changes I made to the base-line model ... Sometimes - indeed, often - these alterations are not recognized by those not familiar with the original.  Therefore all my builds henceforth shall be duos, with the two craft side by each for easier understanding.  Since this will require wide bases, I also decided to go with cigar boxes - cheap and easily obtained from the Humidor (cigar shop name) across the street.  :)

The Beast, the Boosted Brewster Buffalo, is finally complete.  Here are the pictures:

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Rheged

Kit will be much gratified to see lengthened wings.................................as am I!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Absolutely! I always thought the Buffalo looked under-winged.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

I'll take the bossted one thank you  ;D
Wicked stuff matey  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 
Total agreement with Kit..longer everything here looks far better  ;)
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Dizzyfugu

That looks cool. I just wonder about the landing gear and the aircraft's stance on the ground? A common problem of beefed-up Buffalos.

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

Similar thinking to a project I started and never finished. Yours looks perfect.
As mine was a rough, tough, Buffalo, I called it the Gruffalo!
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Scotaidh

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 12, 2023, 11:43:30 PMThat looks cool. I just wonder about the landing gear and the aircraft's stance on the ground? A common problem of beefed-up Buffalos.

I was going to go with a prop with shorter, wider blades - maybe cut down one from a P-47.  :)