Frog Tempest saved from ingominy

Started by The Rat, January 16, 2022, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Had this one for years, one elevator missing. I threw it together roughly so that I could use it as a test article for paints and finishes, etc., never got around to using it for that. But going through my decal stash for something else a sheet appeared, and seemed to beg to be used. It's the USAAF markings for the Pioneer 2 Spitfire VC Tropical, so the Tempest has been dragged from the scrapheap and awaits work. A new elevator has been scratched from an old wing section, not perfect but close enough for me. I'll sand down those huge raised panel lines, probably won't pull off the gear doors that I glued in the closed position. Desert camo will be applied as per the Spit they were supposed to go on.

by Dave Bailey, on Flickr

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

This will be interesting Ratty..instead of the US blokes using the spit they used the tempest..works for me.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Quote from: The Rat on January 16, 2022, 04:48:37 PM
one elevator missing
The word "missing" sounds like Real World... In our what-if universe this may be different: "one elevator was discarded for asymmetric control test, with promising results"... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Gondor

The tropical version of the Tempest was the VI for which you can get a conversion set from Freightdog, but then this is whiff world so you can do what you like.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

Quote from: Tophe on January 16, 2022, 10:02:20 PM
one elevator missing
The word "missing" sounds like Real World... In our what-if universe this may be different: "one elevator was discarded for asymmetric control test, with promising results"... ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

The Rat

Quote from: Gondor on January 16, 2022, 10:14:56 PM
The tropical version of the Tempest was the VI for which you can get a conversion set from Freightdog, but then this is whiff world so you can do what you like.

Gondor

Yes, you're right, just took a look at some pictures. I might be able to manage some sort of modification, with that huge landing gear there's really no room left under the wing for another radiator.

Dizzyfugu

IIRC, the only visible difference of the Mk.VI from to the V is the circular dust filter that sits inside of the radiator intake? That should be easy to scratch.
Matchbox did an OOB Mk. VI, a nice kit, just with a rather bleak cockpit interior.

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 17, 2022, 12:45:44 AM
IIRC, the only visible difference of the Mk.VI from to the V is the circular dust filter that sits inside of the radiator intake? That should be easy to scratch.
Matchbox did an OOB Mk. VI, a nice kit, just with a rather bleak cockpit interior.

Your forgetting the leading edge radiators, one in each wing, both are fairly small but one is about twice the width of the other and I can't remember off the top of my head which is which. I do know they are the same as for the Mk.II though.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

NARSES2

The leading edge radiators are very similar to those fitted to the Mk II, indeed they may be the same, on the Mk II the larger one is on the starboard wing.

That box art brings back memories Ratty  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on January 17, 2022, 01:35:56 AM

Your forgetting the leading edge radiators, one in each wing, both are fairly small but one is about twice the width of the other and I can't remember off the top of my head which is which. I do know they are the same as for the Mk.II though.

Gondor

That would make sense, since the Matchbox kit offers a Mk. VI and a Mk. II as opions.

kitnut617

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 17, 2022, 06:54:59 AM
Quote from: Gondor on January 17, 2022, 01:35:56 AM

Gondor

That would make sense, since the Matchbox kit offers a Mk. VI and a Mk. II as opions.

Actually the Mk.II & Mk.VI had two wing root leading edge air intakes up close to the fuselage (for the carb) and one leading edge oil cooler on the outside of the air intake in the starboard wing (which incidentally, was swapped over to the port wing on the Sea Fury for some reason)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Searching around for info tells me that the reason for the leading edge radiators was simply due to the higher power of the 2,340hp Sabre V engine. So if I keep it as a MkV in the story, no conversion needed.

Gondor

I have an unused Tempest VI conversion set by Freightdog at the moment, however as soon as one of my backorder new Airfix Tempest kits arrive one will be built with it, I will have to find some decals to go with it though.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Looking forward to this one. Will look great in those colours for sure
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quote from: The Rat on January 16, 2022, 10:17:39 PM
Quote from: Tophe on January 16, 2022, 10:02:20 PM
one elevator missing
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks!
I added an illustrated drawing (but P-51 not Tempest) in my whif P-51 CGI topic https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=4461.2700
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]