Republic P-43 Lancer

Started by NARSES2, January 17, 2022, 06:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Hit my first problem yesterday not caused by the poor instructions. So far the finesse and fit of the parts has been excellent  :thumbsup:, but yesterday I fitted, or tried to fit, the canopy and it wasn't anywhere near as good.

The canopy comes in three parts, not sure why as you can't fit it open, and all three parts are very thick and it's this thickness which impedes the ability to pose it open. The join between the middle and rear sections is not the best fit, although it's here that the thickness gives you some room to manoeuvre with a sanding stick. Anyway after some playing around with a sharp blade, needle file and wet and dry I've got the thing fitted. Just needs a little psr where it meets the rear fuselage now.

I've seen photos on line of finished 1/48 versions with open canopies, but I'm certain you couldn't pose the 1/72 version as such without vacforming/crash moulding a new centre section ?

Still be interesting to see what others make of it ? The general fit could easily be me, but I don't think so this time.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

I would be careful smash molding a new canopy - you don't want to crack or craze the clear plastic this far into the build!

Wardukw

Wouldnt be to much of a nightmare to make a new one from clear styrene but it does involve making a mould and a plug or see if theres a AM one out there ..ive found some replacement canopys for 72nd aircraft i didnt even know they made models of so your luck should be pretty good mate  ;D
Trying to thin a thick canopy is a massive job and in my case multiply pieces  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

zenrat

Quote from: zenrat on January 23, 2022, 03:23:16 AM
I think when I build mine the RAAF will routinely remove the sliding section and fly with open cockpits.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: frank2056 on March 28, 2022, 09:01:15 AM
I would be careful smash molding a new canopy - you don't want to crack or craze the clear plastic this far into the build!

I'm not going to, haven't for a very, very long time.  I'm just doing my best to integrate the existing one and I'm getting there.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on March 29, 2022, 03:37:48 AM
Quote from: zenrat on January 23, 2022, 03:23:16 AM
I think when I build mine the RAAF will routinely remove the sliding section and fly with open cockpits.

It will help for sure, but the way Dora have moulded the canopy you will still have 3 parts to it even after you've cut the sliding section out. Unless of course the RAAF's version had a different sliding section ?  ;)

Meanwhile mine should start seeing paint in the next day or so

NARSES2

Painting completed, the Hataka paints behaved impeccably  :thumbsup: Need to get a couple of coats of Klear on it and then the transfers can go on.

Tophe

and then: final pictures will be wellcome! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on April 03, 2022, 06:06:03 AM
and then: final pictures will be wellcome! :thumbsup:

As soon as it's finished Tophe  :thumbsup:

Tophe

NARSES2

Main transfers are on  :thumbsup: Just need to figure out which of the stencils I'm going to bother with now.

NARSES2

Spent a few hours fitting the cat's cradle of an undercarriage. The parts are moulded really well, but some are tiny and way beyond my eyesight. Couple that with the poor instructions, have I mentioned them before ?  :rolleyes:, and it took far, far linger than I thought.

Anyway it's done now and she's standing on her own legs. Moving on to those final fiddly bits now and the we can hold the "topping off" ceremony and fit the prop.  :thumbsup:

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2022, 05:37:53 AM
far linger than I thought.
I had never heard in all my life the word "linger" (and Google Translate explained it to me today).
Thanks teacher NARSES2! ;)

Nick

Quote from: Tophe on April 09, 2022, 07:51:35 AM
I had never heard in all my life the word "linger" (and Google Translate explained it to me today).

Linger. What one of his farts does. It lingers in the room for an evil length of time.  ;D

kitbasher

Quote from: Nick on April 10, 2022, 04:01:31 AM
Quote from: Tophe on April 09, 2022, 07:51:35 AM

Linger. What one of his farts does. It lingers in the room for an evil length of time.  ;D

Not sure about 'linger', more stalk, or haunt.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter