Republic P-43 Lancer

Started by NARSES2, January 17, 2022, 06:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: Nick on April 10, 2022, 04:01:31 AM
Linger. What one of his farts does. It lingers in the room for an evil length of time.  ;D
A lesson like that, smelly, would have been more easy to remember... ;) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on April 10, 2022, 04:05:42 AM
Linger. What one of his farts does. It lingers in the room for an evil length of time.  ;D
A lesson like that, smelly, would have been more easy to remember... ;) ;D

In the society where I grew up, the length of time an odor lingered was known as "hang time" ... there were some that should have paid rent.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Funny thanks!
Yes, this is far from the P-43 model subject, but we are trying to wait for the final picture of the model, speaking of anything to be patient... ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on April 10, 2022, 04:03:04 AM
Quote from: Tophe on April 09, 2022, 07:51:35 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2022, 05:37:53 AM
far linger than I thought.
I had never heard in all my life the word "linger" (and Google Translate explained it to me today).
Thanks teacher NARSES2! ;)

Not sure about 'linger', more stalk, or haunt.

I don't know you make one mistake and your never allowed to forget it  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 11, 2022, 06:07:33 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on April 10, 2022, 04:03:04 AM
Quote from: Tophe on April 09, 2022, 07:51:35 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 09, 2022, 05:37:53 AM
far linger than I thought.
I had never heard in all my life the word "linger" (and Google Translate explained it to me today).
Thanks teacher NARSES2! ;)

Not sure about 'linger', more stalk, or haunt.

I don't know you make one mistake and your never allowed to forget it  :angel: ;)

Blame auto-correct, everyone else does (even if they've got it turned off). ;) ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

You could never say that the subject matter on this channel is restricted to just one thing ..aircraft..speech..farts and lenght  of linger/hang time..nobody can say this is boring  :lol:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

NARSES2

Well it's finished. Just need to charge the battery on my camera and write a few words and I'll post it.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Tophe

NARSES2

Republic P-43A Lancer in Portuguese service.

Preamble – source Wikipedia.

At the start of World War II the Portuguese Government announced on 1 September that the 566-year-old Anglo-Portuguese Treaty of 1373 (the oldest in the world) remained intact, but since the British did not seek Portuguese assistance, Portugal was free to remain neutral in the war and would do so. In an aide-memoir of 5 September 1939, the British Government confirmed the understanding.

In 1942 Lajes Field on the Azores was assigned the name Air Base No. 4 and the Portuguese government expanded the runway and sent troops and equipment to Lajes, including Gloster Gladiator fighters. Military activity in the Azores grew as the Gladiators' role progressed into flying cover for Allied convoys, reconnaissance missions and meteorological flights.

In August 1943, Portugal signed the Luso-British agreement, which leased bases in the Azores to the British. This was a key turning point in the Battle of the Atlantic, allowing the Allies to provide aerial coverage in the Mid-Atlantic Gap; helping them to hunt U-boats and protect convoys. A few months later, on 1 December 1943, British and U.S. military representatives at RAF Lajes signed a joint agreement outlining the roles and responsibilities for the USAAF and USN at Lajes Field.

In 1944, Portugal signed an agreement with the United States allowing the use of military facilities in the Azores. American forces constructed a small and short-lived air base on Santa Maria Island. In 1945, a new air base was constructed in the Azores on the island of Terceira and is currently known as Lajes Field and was used throughout the Cold War as a maritime patrol base.

The Fact and the Fiction

Throughout WWII Portugal used a whole host of different aircraft sourced from the UK, the USA, Germany, and Italy. Some of these were purchased prior to the start of the War, some during it, some were transferred to it as a result of the various agreements (93 Spitfire VB's in 1943 for instance) and some were interned after having to make emergency landings (including a couple of P-38's and P.39's). In 1941 Portugal obtained 19 Curtiss H-35A-4 Mohawks from the USA and whilst looking at my P-43 kit I thought "I wonder" and so after obtaining the LF Models Bell Airacobra over Portugal transfer sheet the project was born.

So overall the kit builds well. Very nice level of detail, some of the parts are tiny, and the fit is very good in the main. The only downside is the canopy, which is overly thick, difficult to fit accurately and impossible to pose in an open position, which is how I normally pose my models. Also, the instructions leave an awful lot to be desired, some of the illustrations are a tad misleading and it can be difficult to work out exactly where parts go, but overall I enjoyed it.

Would I build another knowing what I know now ? The answer is yes. I'd tackle the canopy differently for sure, but it's an interesting aircraft in my opinion and there's all those P-36/P-39/P-40 liveries that you can imagine it in. I have the Special Hobby P-35A in the stash and that has been moved to the "next in line ?" pile as I have a hankering to see a P-35/P-43/P-47 family line up.

I used Hataka Blue Line USAAF colours for the main scheme and my normal mixture of manufacturers for the rest. The LF transfers worked well, although the white circles for the national markings are rather translucent, especially on the Olive Drab upper surfaces. Although I don't think this distracts to much from the overall look of her.

Anyway that's enough of me rambling on, here's the finished product.

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Tophe

PR19_Kit

Very plausible and nicely built too Chris. Looks very much a P-47's Dad, doesn't it?

DogfighterZen will LOVE it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TomZ

Very good looking indeed!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Hotte

Nice Bird and Story  :thumbsup: <_<

Hotte