BAC Vanquish B.3

Started by Devilfish, January 18, 2022, 11:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

In the mid 60's, before any metal had even been cut, the MOD commissioned a report into the viability of the use of Concorde in the military. 

The report identified three possible uses. 

1) A transport aircraft

2) A bomber

3) A reconnaissance aircraft

With the cancellation of the TSR2, the RAF were desperate to keep hold of the nuclear deterrent, so an order for 40 military Concordes, or "Bomcorde" as they were nicknamed, was placed

Five would be transports, to be named Vanquish C.1

Five would be Recon, named Vanquish PR.2

And the final 30 would be nuclear bombers, named Vanquish B.3

The B.3 carried long range fuel tanks internally, were the passengers would have sat.  A retractable in flight refuelling probe could extend this range if reqd.

Due to the fact that most of the time the aircraft would be subsonic, it wasn't deemed necessary to paint them white.  They were limited to M1.7, which was thought to be sufficient, with a 20 minute dash allowed at M2.0

The B.3s were divided into 4 squadrons, with 7 aircraft each, and 2 as "floating" aircraft for spares, training etc, as required.

All 4 sqns were based at either Waddington or Scampton.

The aircraft generally carried 2 nuclear stand-off missiles, but a 3rd could be carried if required.

Flight crew was 5 (Pilot, co-pilot, engineer, weapons operator and EW operator).  Accommodation was provided to carry a second crew, as the aircraft were often on standing airborne patrol for many hours, due to the aircraft's incredible range.

The pilots rotated between the bomber and C.1/PR.2 sqns to keep currency in high Mach flying (the C.1 being white could fly at M2.0)

20220118_213748 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_213756 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_213813 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
2022-01-18_09-30-14 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_211944 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_212059 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_212122 by Paul Carter, on Flickr
20220118_212242 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Pellson

Another Bombcorde! I love it!!  :wub:
I have two in the StashTM, one for the RAF and one for the Armée de'l Air. God knows where to put them when completed, though.. 🤪
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Knightflyer

Oh Wow - That is gorgeous  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Devilfish

Quote from: Pellson on January 19, 2022, 01:01:34 AM
Another Bombcorde! I love it!!  :wub:
I have two in the StashTM, one for the RAF and one for the Armée de'l Air. God knows where to put them when completed, though.. 🤪

My problem exactly

comrade harps

Whatever.

zenrat

Such a graceful aircraft.  Even in fatigues.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That looks WONDERFUL! Most impressive, both model and backstory.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Which kit was it please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2022, 04:57:04 AM
That looks WONDERFUL! Most impressive, both model and backstory.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Which kit was it please?

Did I forget? Revell/Heller/Airfix 1/72.  Terrible fit, loads of filler, and takes up loads of room....

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, that's a BIG kit!

I have one in The Loft, but sure if I can get it through the hatch to bring it downstairs again.........................

I have heard it's a putty sinkhole, but I'm well armed with tubes of Presto.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2022, 05:34:03 AM
Oh yes, that's a BIG kit!

I have one in The Loft, but sure if I can get it through the hatch to bring it downstairs again.........................

I have heard it's a putty sinkhole, but I'm well armed with tubes of Presto.

Yes, it did need filler on every single joint.  It didn't help that I filled the windows and doors.  But even the instructions show to apply filler to a lot of the joins and sink marks.

NARSES2

Oh my that does look good  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

:unsure:  :-\ Ahem, as a pacifist I am not happy to see the civilian Concorde transformed into a nuclear bomber, but I imagine this colour would be for a reconnaissance fast plane, and I like this change extending the Concorde family... <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

I was thinking about the PR version, and its colour scheme too.

Of course PR Blue comes into it somewhere, it always does, but not sure if it should be on the top or the bottom.  :-\

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 19, 2022, 08:12:37 AM
I was thinking about the PR version, and its colour scheme too.

Of course PR Blue comes into it somewhere, it always does, but not sure if it should be on the top or the bottom.  :-\

I'd say bottom - Hemp over PR Blue (specialized formulations that can withstand M2+ dash speeds).  Considering that Foxbats and 'Hounds are going to have a merry time trying just trying to catch up in the first place when she's dashing, let alone get to altitude.

Which reminds me, I really need to get back on to my Londthyrian Vanquish VC.1 profile repaint
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

McColm

Great work, I have one in the stash as well. I'm thinking of kitbashing it with the Airfix B-1B Lancer.