BAC Vanquish B.3

Started by Devilfish, January 18, 2022, 11:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

It just shows where some peoples minds will go cause ive never thought of turning a Concorde into a military strike bomber and it turned out surpurb.
Theres going to be the purist out there who wont like it but it will strike a corde with many more..me included..very nice indeed  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

crudebuteffective

I've always wanted to do a Concorde fighter, like the Tupolev tu28 armed with air launched bloodhound variants like a flying SAM site
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

Tophe

There are many military Concorde links in my Concorde special topic https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=46411.0
;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely love this.  A Concorde missile carrier is a model I plan on building at some distant point in the future.  Those missile racks are Phoenix pallets from an F-14, right?  Works perfectly. 

One thing I've always wondered about a military Concorde, especially a recon version is top speed.  IIRC Concordes were limited to M 2.04, not by thrust or aerodynamics but by materials. To keep cost manageable for a commercial enterprise the fuselage was aluminium alloy.  The M2.04 limit was due to parts of the airframe heating to a point where it would effect structural integrity over time.  What if a military budget and no requirement for "commercial" considerations allowed for certain critical components being replaced with titanium?  Then how fast would it go?  I seem to remember reading years ago that if the heating was not a problem the airframe and engines had a theoretical limit much closer to M3. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

kitnut617

Another one, great stuff. Now I will have to get my stalled one finished. Just need the Z.122's from Alistair ----- (that's Lost Cosmonaut Alistair  ;) )

Mines going to be like this one, appeared in a RAF Year Book back in the 70's.

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Rat

Quote from: kitnut617 on January 19, 2022, 01:48:18 PM

1968, 50th Anniversary issue. I have one somewhere.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitnut617

Quote from: The Rat on January 19, 2022, 02:24:07 PM

1968, 50th Anniversary issue. I have one somewhere.

Yeah! me too ---

Devilfish

Another one, great stuff. Now I will have to get my stalled one finished. Just need the Z.122's from Alistair ----- (that's Lost Cosmonaut Alistair  ;) )

Everyone keeps saying "Blue Steel" on the various platforms I've posted this on, but Blue Steel was already obsolete by the time Concorde was being planned (let alone built).  I considered Skybolt, but that needed to be able to see the stars to get a nav fix, so couldn't be mounted under the fuselage.

Devilfish

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on January 19, 2022, 01:26:14 PM
Absolutely love this.  A Concorde missile carrier is a model I plan on building at some distant point in the future.  Those missile racks are Phoenix pallets from an F-14, right?  Works perfectly. 

One thing I've always wondered about a military Concorde, especially a recon version is top speed.  IIRC Concordes were limited to M 2.04, not by thrust or aerodynamics but by materials. To keep cost manageable for a commercial enterprise the fuselage was aluminium alloy.  The M2.04 limit was due to parts of the airframe heating to a point where it would effect structural integrity over time.  What if a military budget and no requirement for "commercial" considerations allowed for certain critical components being replaced with titanium?  Then how fast would it go?  I seem to remember reading years ago that if the heating was not a problem the airframe and engines had a theoretical limit much closer to M3.

Yes, F-14 racks.

I did toy with the idea of more exotic metals, but left it as is.  99% of the time they would be on standing patrol in UK airspace, awaiting the order.  After that, a dash at M1.7 would suffice to get them close enough to their targets, with a final run in at M2.0, and a dash out.  Hopefully, there'd be an airfield for them to return to....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on January 19, 2022, 10:23:59 PM

I considered Skybolt, but that needed to be able to see the stars to get a nav fix, so couldn't be mounted under the fuselage.

Half a roll before getting the star fix then?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2022, 03:16:46 AM

I considered Skybolt, but that needed to be able to see the stars to get a nav fix, so couldn't be mounted under the fuselage.

Half a roll before getting the star fix then?  ;)

The sensor is on the top...... :banghead:

It's the reason only the Vulcan was being tested to carry it, as the missile cleared the wings.

kitnut617

Everyone keeps saying "Blue Steel" on the various platforms I've posted this on, but Blue Steel was already obsolete by the time Concorde was being planned (let alone built).  I considered Skybolt, but that needed to be able to see the stars to get a nav fix, so couldn't be mounted under the fuselage.

I had found out that Phil Butler (the author) had worked in equipment procurement for the Concorde. He said the missiles shown were the proposed 'smaller' version of the Blue Steel. But the only thing I can find about that is the Z.122 which was smaller.

I bought three Blue Steels from Airfix as I had originally thought I could modify them, but they are really too big for the project so I'm hoping the Z.122's will be easier to mount.

KiwiZac

Yes yes, a thousand times yes! What an utter beauty!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

rickshaw

A few years ago, I used to work with a fellow who was an Irish Systems Engineer.  He was half of a set of twins.  His brother was an aerodynamic structural engineer who used to work for British Airways.  Now, my friend got married and his brother came out to Australia for the occasion.  During our conversations I asked him what he worked on.  "Concorde" was his answer.  I asked him if he had ever been supersonic, "Yes," was his reply.  Further questions followed about Concorde and whether it could be, as RAF had once wished to be armed.  He looked at me and scoffed, saying there was no room or structure to support weapons in the airframe.  It seems they were left out to make it light enough to carry passengers.   :banghead: :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.