Retro WWII Apache whopper chopper

Started by kerick, January 20, 2022, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

I still like the first effort, it looks like a Navy/Marines version. ;D

How is the SeaHog? Haven't seen her for quite a while, now. :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

kerick

Stuck in needs to be painted limbo. Soon on a day the spousal unit is out of the house for the day I'm going to have a paint fest. Hopefully nothing ends up against the wall!

Needs a back story. Either fighting the Chinese around Guadalcanal and the "slot" or picking off Russian cruisers in the Black Sea or the Med in the 80s. Seems they burn quite nicely. Maybe toe to toe with a "Black Sea monster" ekranoplane. The choppers are going to be a little after D-Day pushing across Belgium and France. Maybe General Patton is so impressed by "this new fangled gadget" he takes them all into his Third Army when no one else wants them. Hmmmmm...  Maybe some more recognition markings on the rotor blades!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Quote from: kerick on April 23, 2022, 04:07:50 PM
Stuck in needs to be painted limbo. Soon on a day the spousal unit is out of the house for the day I'm going to have a paint fest. Hopefully nothing ends up against the wall!

Needs a back story. Either fighting the Chinese around Guadalcanal and the "slot" or picking off Russian cruisers in the Black Sea or the Med in the 80s. Seems they burn quite nicely. Maybe toe to toe with a "Black Sea monster" ekranoplane. The choppers are going to be a little after D-Day pushing across Belgium and France. Maybe General Patton is so impressed by "this new fangled gadget" he takes them all into his Third Army when no one else wants them. Hmmmmm...  Maybe some more recognition markings on the rotor blades!

What about a Flying Tiger mechanic with an Idea and lots of P-40 spare/salvaged parts for toys?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

I was thinking a little more as if Igor Sikorsky and Barnes Wallis got together. Definitely could throw in some people with good imaginations and high end mechanics skills! Along with lots of aircraft parts laying around.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

royabulgaf

Bondo glazing putty.  A man after my own heart.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

kerick

Quote from: royabulgaf on April 24, 2022, 03:07:03 PM
Bondo glazing putty.  A man after my own heart.

You bet!, I've been using it for years. I gave up Squadron green putty after I got tired of it shrinking so much. I also find that if I brush on some thin glue it soaks in and acts like a sealer otherwise you can tell the putty from the plastic if its only one coat of paint.

Glued on a few small details like wire cutters and boarding steps.

I've been thinking about invasion stripes and if I wanted to do them on both aircraft. I measured out on the wings how much the stripes would cover. At 7.5' of stripes it would cover most of the wing on both aircraft. So I came up with this idea. How about invasion stripes on the rotor blades? I know they did this in Vietnam and I'm sure other places. The white stripes turn into white rings as the rotors spin much like the yellow tips on propellers.

It's either this or little narrow stripes to make room for national insignia.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

You might have to paint the stripes on the fusealge too ..i love the blades and from above lookinh at the ground you couldnt miss em but looking from below up the white might just disappear into the sky .
Hell even in the real WW2 the stripes still didnt stop some allied aircraft being shot at and i think down too.
So do both..it will look cool on the fusealge and since the blades are so thin it wont like its to much from the sides and now thr bird being so new to allied forces you'd want to mark it to death.
Ive seen a pic of a US M18 Hellcat tank destroyer with 9 US Stars painted on it ..one way to hopefully not get shot at by your own guys  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

I was definitely going to paint stripes on the tail booms. I have some white for primer that will serve this purpose too.
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Quote from: kerick on April 25, 2022, 07:45:49 AM
tail booms.
Wow!: twin-tail-booms? :wub:
No alas: only one boom per model :-\
But this is good anyway :thumbsup:

kerick

Quote from: Tophe on April 25, 2022, 07:48:44 AM
Quote from: kerick on April 25, 2022, 07:45:49 AM
tail booms.
Wow!: twin-tail-booms? :wub:
No alas: only one boom per model :-\
But this is good anyway :thumbsup:

Well I was having a wild thought last night about what would a B-17 with twin tail booms look like. You can take it from there if you like.
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

Thanks, I will do it (in reco version as I dislike bombers), Copyright: kerick Inc.! :thumbsup: ;D

kerick

Tophe the Wise

Tophe

kerick

Tophe the Wise