Retro WWII Apache whopper chopper

Started by kerick, January 20, 2022, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardukw

Theres no doubting it would look great in RN colours.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Hmmmmm. RN is something I didn't think of! Flying off smaller ships for low level surprise attacks on Japanese shipping?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Caveman

Quote from: kerick on March 07, 2022, 08:11:09 AM
Hmmmmm. RN is something I didn't think of! Flying off smaller ships for low level surprise attacks on Japanese shipping?

Flying off LSTs?
secretprojects forum migrant

kerick

Build a flight deck on top and room for fuel and ammo underneath! Sounds very interesting!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Imagine a full blown 48th or 72nd scale LST with heli pad ..that would be bloody impressive for sure .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

Well, this one is just about ready for paint.

I moved a pair of 20mm guns to the fuselage sides. It would be impossible to load them under the engines. Not sure if I like the arraignment but I'll see if it grows on me. I might put some 50Cals in the nose yet. I also added carb intakes above the engines. Probably should be bigger.

I also shortened the tail rotor blades a bit to better clear the main rotor.

I used Perfect Plastic Putty to blend in around the engine to fuselage joint. I used a wet Q-tip to blend the putty instead of trying to sand in such a tight space. For the first time using this method it worked pretty darn well.

Now I should think of a name for it!
Tophe the Wise

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Cobra

Looking Super Cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: almost a Cross between Crimson Skies & Gerry Anderson! Keep up the Superb Work! Dan

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

I knew i liked this and i was right  ;D
Looking forward to the paint Kerick mate ..now the question is and i know you knew this question was coming ...what colour ya going for mate ? .
Something like a light olive drab ?

kerick

I'm going with standard RAF day fighter scheme. Already bought the paints. This will be a learning experience with acrylic paints.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Nope ..no issues with the colour choice ..fact it should look pretty sweet .
If your using a air brush.. acrylics are brilliant and simple to us..brushing some brands is a nightmare..Ammo brushes on very nicely yet Tamiya is a pain but its great to spray..those are just 2 of the brands i use..yours is probably totally different brands  :lol:

jcf

John Miller has a series of excellent  articles on airbrushing, here's his piece on acrylics:
https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/spraying-acrylic-paints-airbrushing-tips

John is a Seattle-area modeller and retired scientist, he takes a lab approach to his subjects.   ;)

Model Paint Solutions is his company, so yes there are ads for what he sells in his articles.
He's a great guy and modeller.

kerick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on March 25, 2022, 11:41:15 AM
Nope ..no issues with the colour choice ..fact it should look pretty sweet .
If your using a air brush.. acrylics are brilliant and simple to us..brushing some brands is a nightmare..Ammo brushes on very nicely yet Tamiya is a pain but its great to spray..those are just 2 of the brands i use..yours is probably totally different brands  :lol:

I've got Tamiya paint and thinner so at least it should be compatible.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 25, 2022, 12:19:13 PM
John Miller has a series of excellent  articles on airbrushing, here's his piece on acrylics:
https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/spraying-acrylic-paints-airbrushing-tips

John is a Seattle-area modeller and retired scientist, he takes a lab approach to his subjects.   ;)

Model Paint Solutions is his company, so yes there are ads for what he sells in his articles.
He's a great guy and modeller.

Thanks for this tip! I'll check it out asap.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Dan .Tamiya is great to spray with ..thins very well and it covers with ease ..ive used it hundreds of times and it never really gives me any problems at all  ;D
Yeah i think your not going to have ay real issues there mate  :thumbsup: