Retro WWII Apache whopper chopper

Started by kerick, January 20, 2022, 08:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Stripes a go go!

I hope the brush marks fade out after some dullcoat.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Wardukw

Looking good and looking better everytime i see new pics  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

I'm going to attempt some decals shortly. I hope I have enough in the scrap box. Some of the shark mouth decals from the P-40 kits might just move over to the Apache. I'm going to have to choose a name soon. Apache is the most obvious but was already in use by the A-36 Allison engine version of the P-51. I could use Comanche as the stealth helicopter concept had not been thought of yet. Or a shark name to go with the decal markings. Hammerhead? Mako?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Hammerhead and Mako both work prefectly bud...your problem now is choosing one  :wacko:
Fact you could use both..one for each chopper..no harm changing a name mate  <_<
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

British names are always birds or storms. Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest, Tornado. They didn't use Cyclone so considering the rotating rotor blades that might work. Or just break tradition and use Mako.

Apache would be obvious but it was already used on the Allison engine A-36 Apache. Comanche might work as the stealth helicopter idea had not been even thought of yet. Or Cheyenne, Cherokee or Mojave. Quite a long list of tribes to choose from. Or use Hammerhead.
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

If any of these choppers are based at sea then hammerhead or mako works prefectly cause the Brits also had aircraft named after other things too.
Ganet..Martlet or F4 wildcat..Tarpon or TBF Avenger..all sea based names i believe.
And calling any chopper the Hammerhead or Mako means business as both are predators and hunters .

NARSES2

Well a Gannet is a sea bird, a Martlet is a mythical bird that never roosts and is used in heraldry, whilst a Tarpon is a sea fish.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

I'll see how the decals turn out first. If I get a good shark mouth then I'll use a shark name otherwise it's tribal.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

You could always use a British tribal name. Lots of pre and post Roman ones to choose from, right up to the late 800's off the top of my head.

More modern ones, late 1950's onwards would use cultural or football related tribal names of course  ;) ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

The British one would sound strange being called Cherokee!

African or European sparrow?
Tophe the Wise

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kerick

Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2