De Havilland Dragon Rapide Floatplane.

Started by zenrat, January 21, 2022, 04:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Gilbertson

Beautiful model, Fred, well done. :thumbsup:

I've never had a smoother landing than in a Rapide (lady pilot) on the old Christchurch grass strip.

Wardukw

Kit thats was some time ago mate ..a few yrs before i was kicking and my sis  ;D
She still has fond memories of the flight but a sad one to as a 4 engined one of those crashed..no deaths but she likes the 4 engined one what ever its called  ;D
Today my Spad turned up so before long my very first 48th scale bi plane will make an appearance here ..this will be fun but a challenge to as its very small and theres no way i couldn't rig it.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 21, 2022, 02:57:03 PM

Kit thats was some time ago mate ..a few yrs before i was kicking and my sis  ;D
She still has fond memories of the flight but a sad one to as a 4 engined one of those crashed..no deaths but she likes the 4 engined one what ever its called  ;D

That's 'cos I'm older than anyone else on here.  ;D

That 4-engined Rapide was the DH86 Express, quite a rare beast in the UK. I never saw one, ever, and AFAIK there's none left anywhere in the world now, sadly.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Not saying a damn thing about age..im 53 but my bod is somewhere in its late 70s  ;D

One thing which always got me about the Rapide was the wings..pretty much everything else had the same sort of design..wide rounded wing tips then the Rapide turns up with these narrow ..sharp knife like wings and they kinda look to small for the fuselage..but also the fuselage looks to boxie for the wings..its weird but really neat at the same time .

I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

The Rat

Lovely job on that! First aircraft my mum ever had a ride in.  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 21, 2022, 03:03:56 PM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 21, 2022, 02:57:03 PM

That's 'cos I'm older than anyone else on here.  ;D

That 4-engined Rapide was the DH86 Express, quite a rare beast in the UK. I never saw one, ever, and AFAIK there's none left anywhere in the world now, sadly.

That was 'cause it was found to be a danger to fly.  We had a crash and an investigation which showed there was an inherent fault in the design...  :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Wardukw

Ahhhhh well there ya got Rick..what i said about things looking weird seems to be right ..im going to tell my sis that..might make her feel different about the gravity sucking problem with that plane.

zenrat

De Havilland produced some very graceful aircraft.  I wonder what would have happened if they had gone into partnership with Blackburn?

Thanks folks.  I was convinced I had posted the older pics before but apparently not.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2022, 02:25:56 AM

De Havilland produced some very graceful aircraft.  I wonder what would have happened if they had gone into partnership with Blackburn?

They did, eventually.

It was called BAe.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on January 22, 2022, 02:25:56 AM

Beauty and the Beast Aircraft Manufacturers Ltd ?

Can you imagine the rows between the two factions in the design office ?  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Missionary Aviation Fellowship started off with a Rapide, in the mid-50s, in Sudan at a place called Malakal (now part of South Sudan, and perched betwixt the southern edge of the desert and the northern edge of the Sudd - biggest swamp in the world).

The then Powers That Were didn't want civilians swanning about in single-engined aircraft - "twin-engine safety" was the watchword, particularly in that hazardous area of the world.  From the navigator's perspective, "The River" and endless miles of daily-changing featureless brown nothing or daily-changing featureless green nothing; never mind that the Rapide was only just barely able to fly (empty) on one engine.  My dad flew and maintained it - he always said that the second engine only delayed a forced landing.  Fortunately, he never had to test that theory!  :)

He particularly disliked changing the oil - every 25 flying hours.  Because the engines were inverted, some oil always collected in the cylinder heads, which meant that he had to unbolt each of them (3 per engine as they were twinned) and where the retaining bolts were located meant that as soon as the bolt came loose, oil would begin dripping down his arm, with a lot more bolt to go.  He always wrapped a disposable rag around his arm, but the wretched thing had a nasty habit of loading up with oil and then coming loose all over his shirt, causing my Mum extra distress over the (hand-washed) laundry. 

He also had to re-rig the entire aircraft every time the seasons (Wet / Dry) changed - re-doing all those flying and static wires, when a change in one affects all the others ...

Sorry - drifted a bit from topic, there.   <oops>  Sorry! 

Very nice work on that model - always glad to see a Rapide.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

The Rat

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 22, 2022, 07:43:38 AM
Missionary Aviation Fellowship started off with a Rapide, in the mid-50s, in Sudan at a place called Malakal (now part of South Sudan, and perched betwixt the southern edge of the desert and the northern edge of the Sudd - biggest swamp in the world).

The then Powers That Were didn't want civilians swanning about in single-engined aircraft - "twin-engine safety" was the watchword, particularly in that hazardous area of the world.  From the navigator's perspective, "The River" and endless miles of daily-changing featureless brown nothing or daily-changing featureless green nothing; never mind that the Rapide was only just barely able to fly (empty) on one engine.  My dad flew and maintained it - he always said that the second engine only delayed a forced landing.  Fortunately, he never had to test that theory!  :)

He particularly disliked changing the oil - every 25 flying hours.  Because the engines were inverted, some oil always collected in the cylinder heads, which meant that he had to unbolt each of them (3 per engine as they were twinned) and where the retaining bolts were located meant that as soon as the bolt came loose, oil would begin dripping down his arm, with a lot more bolt to go.  He always wrapped a disposable rag around his arm, but the wretched thing had a nasty habit of loading up with oil and then coming loose all over his shirt, causing my Mum extra distress over the (hand-washed) laundry. 

He also had to re-rig the entire aircraft every time the seasons (Wet / Dry) changed - re-doing all those flying and static wires, when a change in one affects all the others ...

Some fascinating insights, thanks.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Quote from: The Rat on January 22, 2022, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: Scotaidh on January 22, 2022, 07:43:38 AM

Some fascinating insights, thanks.

Absolutely  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I've worked on enough machinery to realise that designers should have to have a go at maintaining what they design.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Sweet build. And with the Norseman floats as reference the Dragon Rapide is apparently smaller than I expected.  :o