P-59 under a blanket

Started by TomZ, January 23, 2022, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Going through the stash, I found this:

[/img]

I bought this many years ago. It's a very simple kit and looked on first glance as a quick build, just to relax.....
But soon I discovered this:

The vacu-formed canopy is rather yellow. So I started thinking about what I could do with it.
And suddenly I remembered this picture:

So I will be playing around with thin tissues and/or aluminium foil shortly to create the tarpaulins to cover most of the model.
First time I attached a canopy where it didn't matter if I smeared super glue all over.....
Already found the tractor. Now all I need is a driver.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

The Rat

Ah yes, that classic photo. That 'prop' looks a bit crude, so there's another wee task for you. Seems that instead of borrowing a real one they may have thrown it together with scrap lumber laying around the place, maybe old packing crates.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Wardukw

That is very cool..i thought they tryed it with a prop engine but nope..Rat man opened my eyes to the totally fake propeller..this is a great way to make use of something of not much use..sweet   ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Scotaidh

The Germans did the same thing with the 262 - fake props on the engine nacelles.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 23, 2022, 10:51:53 AM
The Germans did the same thing with the 262 - fake props on the engine nacelles.

Did they? I know that they had a real engine in the first aircraft because the Jet's weren't ready and the piston engine would enable them to perform aerodynamic testing.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

TomZ

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 23, 2022, 10:51:53 AM

The Me-262 first flew with a Jumo 210 piston engine and a real prop. This because the jet engines were not available yet.
This picture of the prop of the P-59 is just disinformation. They did not want to show an aircraft powered by jet engines.

TomZ

sandiego89

Great idea! the fake prop was indeed very crude- likely plywood.  When the Planes Of Fame rolled theirs out for an airshow in 2006, they put a great reproduction fake on it.

some great photos of the gimmick prop and tarp here:

https://www.air-and-space.com/Bell%20P-59%20Airacomet.htm 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kitbasher

Which kit are you using, Tom?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

frank2056

Not Tom, but I have the same kit - it's a vacuform. Karo As P-59 from 1986

Wardukw

Ive seen that pick of the Me262 with the piston engine but never seen pics of them on the nacelles..damn that would look funny and strange but yeah i guess it would work fine..if who ever didnt know what they were looking at they'd think its some weirdo twin engined jobbie the Germans were messing with.
Cool info there Scot  :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Tophe

Still in 1975, the same recipe was still used (in my dreams): :unsure: :-\

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/F-16drwF_aw.jpg

You know, spy is not an easy work...
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Quote from: frank2056 on January 23, 2022, 06:23:16 PM
Not Tom, but I have the same kit - it's a vacuform. Karo As P-59 from 1986

Mine is Karo-As but it's not a vacuform, it's injected. So I think Karo-donkey did both. Mine does look like it was patterned from a vacuform though.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/karo-as-am-0472-bell-p-59-airacomet--246275

TomZ

Scotaidh

Quote from: Tophe on January 23, 2022, 11:16:16 PM
Still in 1975, the same recipe was still used (in my dreams): :unsure: :-\

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/F-16drwF_aw.jpg

You know, spy is not an easy work...

Hah!  That's awesome, Tophe!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Tophe

Thanks, now let's go back to the P-59 main subject, inspiring yes, but so good by itself also <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kitbasher

Thanks Tom and Frank.  Never heard of the kit until now - Tom your pic of the sprue reminds me of the ancient FROG/NOVO Attacker!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter