P-59 under a blanket

Started by TomZ, January 23, 2022, 10:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 23, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Ive seen that pick of the Me262 with the piston engine but never seen pics of them on the nacelles..damn that would look funny and strange but yeah i guess it would work fine.

2 words: prop clearance
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Flyer

Quote from: The Rat on January 24, 2022, 05:23:43 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on January 23, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Ive seen that pick of the Me262 with the piston engine but never seen pics of them on the nacelles..damn that would look funny and strange but yeah i guess it would work fine.

2 words: prop clearance
There was going to be a twin prop version of the 262 but I don't think they built any. The proposed turboprop version IIRC had the nacelles raised to mid-wing Meteor style and short multiple bladed (6?) props that I'm guessing were to avoid that very issue.

https://s20.postimg.cc/iv1kys7lp/Me_262_B2_Turboprop.jpg

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/uploads/9/1/7/5/9175276/me262tpdr_orig.jpg

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

NARSES2

Very interested to see how you deal with the blanket Tom

An experimental Meteor was built with turboprops. Indeed I've built a model of it, and it looks quite good, even if I do say so myself

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37330.msg604535#msg604535

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on January 24, 2022, 06:28:14 AM
Very interested to see how you deal with the blanket Tom

I have two ideas:
- Use a thin tissue towel and paint that. This may be too rough in texture.
- Use aluminium kitchen foil, spray painted. This may be too smooth in texture.

It will have to wait until spring as I can't use my airbrush at the moment. My paint booth is in the shed and it's way to cold and damp at the moment.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

TomZ

Quote from: Flyer on January 24, 2022, 05:41:50 AM
There was going to be a twin prop version of the 262 but I don't think they built any. The proposed turboprop version IIRC had the nacelles raised to mid-wing Meteor style and short multiple bladed (6?) props that I'm guessing were to avoid that very issue.

Unicraft have this conversion set which I should have somewhere:

Perhaps I should try to find it.

TomZ

Nigel Bunker

'P-59 under a blanket' - I had visions of a P-59 wrapped in streaky bacon like a 'pig in blanket'. If only.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Tophe

Quote from: TomZ on January 24, 2022, 06:52:41 AM
Quote from: Flyer on January 24, 2022, 05:41:50 AM
twin prop version of the 262.
Unicraft have this conversion set which I should have somewhere:
Perhaps I should try to find it.
Would you make a version of P-59 with lateral turboprops? That would be very whif too... ;) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

TomZ

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on January 24, 2022, 07:07:12 AM
'P-59 under a blanket' - I had visions of a P-59 wrapped in streaky bacon like a 'pig in blanket'. If only.

The bacon part sounds nice but then if you take a bite you encounter the metal parts......

TomZ

TomZ

Quote from: Tophe on January 24, 2022, 07:19:42 AM
Would you make a version of P-59 with lateral turboprops? That would be very whif too... ;) ;D

Hmmm, Could do with that conversion set I think.
But I was planning to do a Me-262 and a Meteor twin turboprop.
Of course both in an operational scheme.

TomZ

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on January 24, 2022, 06:49:46 AM

- Use aluminium kitchen foil, spray painted. This may be too smooth in texture.

I used that stuff to model tarpaulins on N Gauge model railway wagons, and it has a smooooooth side and a rough (-ish) side, or mine did at least.

Grey primer and a dilute white/blue mix on the rough side gave an almost perfect representation of a china clay wagon cover.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

The "anti-spy" props I read about - long ago and far away, sadly - were fakes which included a spinner, mounted on the front of the two Jumo engines. 

They were used on the mock-up models only - were never put on the real aircraft.  If you were on the short list, you knew that the props were fakes, but that list only included Hitler, Goering, and those who absolutely had to know, like Galland.
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Wardukw

Chris is checked out your meteor and mate that looks surpurb  and i do mean surpurb..i seriously like that  :wub:
Can you imagine a Meteor with 6 bladed curved props with turbo prop engines..man i think that would look very cool.

Rat man has it right if they did try to twin prop a 262..clearance..one little bobo and bye bye props..they could have lenghtened the nose gear but that was a weak point anyway so making it longer would have probably made it worse..yeah not a good idea really ..us Germans ..well in my case half German did come up with some not so brilliant ideas.

Ok the blanket..tank modelling time..Milliput..can be made very thin..will hang quite naturally and can be textured with a damp cloth or tissues.
You can add folds and creases for a even more natural look.
Can be painted nine ways from sunday and weathered till your hearts content..ive ued it hundreds of times ..theres another brand out there to which is blue and yellow..also very very good..cant remember the bloody name at the mo.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Similarly Aves Apoxy Sculpt

I've also used larger alcohol antiseptic wipes successfully for tarpaulins, they're better than tissue because they're stronger & less "fluffy".
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

When I was wargaming we used tissue paper soaked in diluted white glue for things like tents and tarpaulins. Can be moulded before it dries

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I will start experimenting  ;) ;)

TomZ